Info regarding Tonka 1960s Aerial Ladder #998?

dapnet921

Greenie
Oct 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Info regarding Tonka 1960's Aerial Ladder #998?

Hi. Hope someone can help me out here. I just inherited a Tonka Aerial Ladder truck. It's really in great condition. The box says No. 998 Aerial Ladder , but I can't seem to find any other pix on the internet that are the same as mine. they all have a diff. truck. I did find a tonka logo site, and using that, determined the approx. age. I guess I really can't be sure the box matches the truck, but pretty sure it does. Since tonka doesn't stamp their trucks with any model numbers, any info, including approx. value, would be appreciated!. thanks.

Attachments

• Picture 030 reduced.jpg
    Picture 030 reduced.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 544
  • Picture 029 reduced.jpg
    Picture 029 reduced.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 310
OP
OP
D

dapnet921

Greenie
Oct 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks. question; the truck on mine is different, and all the ladder eqmt is chrome (alum?), not white. It's just interesting, cause I haven't found one that is exactly the same as the one I have. Did tonka make 2 diff. trucks (cabs?) with model 998? Could there be slight differences within the same model? thanks again!

OP
OP
D

dapnet921

Greenie
Oct 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks! but not quite. that one has a "5" on the side of the cab, mine just has tonka, mound, minn). also, that one has a fireman seat on top/back and is the hydraulic model. the truck/cab is the correct type (?) though. Not sure how you would describe the actual truck part. I did find an exact match, though, at 4: 1963 TONKA AERIAL T.F.D. LADDER STEEL FIRE TRUCK : Lot 4
Unfortunately, there's not alot of info there, they give the year as 1963, and there's no price or model no.. but that's the only one I can find. thanks for the info...

OP
OP
D

dapnet921

Greenie
Oct 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I finally think I found it. I found a 1964 tonka look book from this site, and there it is. http://www.neatoldtoys.com/1964p13.jpg
It's very interesting, that there are several auctions on ebay, all saying they're #998, and they all have a different cab than mine; anyone know why? thanks....

OP
OP
D

dapnet921

Greenie
Oct 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello again. the 1964 #998 aerial ladder is the only year with the cab I have, I guess they change it each year or so. One final question as to value. I have the orig. box, it's in fairly good shape--does having the orig. box add any value if I were to sell the truck? or does it not matter (especially, if it is used, not nib). thanks again.

Archaic1

Apr 16, 2009
Your Tonka fire truck is a 1962-64 model. It's value depends on condition, yours looks to be in good shape and the box will up the value a little for some.It's not a rare piece and is realistically worth is about $100 to $150.Hope this helps. Is it for sale?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions