Hot wheels treasure hunts

tokens70

Apr 9, 2009
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cibola, Explorer 2
I do collect them, but I hardly ever find anything good at walmart. The last thing I found was a GMC motorhome TH, just happened to be there when the woman was putting them out :thumbsup: Never found a super TH :(

Attachments

• group 5.jpg
    group 5.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 2,301

StoneWhisper

Apr 16, 2010
Annapolis Junction, Maryland
Primary Interest:
Other
You'd really be surprised where I have found many of these treasure hunts.. if your good.. and I was. I could locate the shipping box label that was associated with the treasure hunt series.. Here is what would happen.. You would arrive at the store on the date when they would get in a new shipment of hot wheels.. Your taking a chance and some times it pays off.. But ask if you could see the box. This is the whole box of cars.. and your just looking for the id number on the case.. assuming you know what the id number is that holds a treasure hunt.. I've bought whole cases unopened because of this.. But treasure hunts are old news now.. Hot wheels is making so many slight differences on their cars.. in many case "first runs" are just as valuable as treasure hunts.. Just means the cars are or have been first run and have slight errors or defects.. Paint testing.. different or demo wheels..etc. Here is the real treasure.. in the same case, the same two cars.. but one was a first run and the other was a second or third run.. and you can clearly see the difference. Slight variation, color, window design.. even wheels. (rims)and then there is the back road stores.. like Family Dollar, Roses, mom and pop shop down the street etc.. One thing to be aware of. if your a TH collector.. some greedy collators will deliberately damage the card which the car is attached to.. thus making the TH not so valuable.. But they called me a true collector, removing the cars from the packaging.. and storing in a plastic case.

donj

Feb 13, 2011
southwestern, va.
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors CoRe, garretts gti2500, gtp1350 minelab 30 whites coinmaster 3 and a DFX300.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Uhg treasure hunts, me and a group of friends still race die cast.

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
I lost over 9000 hot wheels stored in my attic to a house fire. I had red lines from when I was a kid all the way up to tubs of treasure hunts. Only have 3 hot wheels now.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice I dig lots of em lol

Inspector

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Finger Lakes Region, Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Nox 600, w/6", Simplex+WHP, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Toltec, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Late on this thread. When ever Hot Wheels are discussed the conversation revolves around the Treasure Hunts. There is so much more to HW's than chasing the hunts. The bright side for me is that with so much attention given to finding the hunts, the really good cars are left behind for the serious collectors. Don't get me wrong, I chase the hunts also and have several hundreds of them, but they are not my priority. My collection of 30+ years consist of over 25,000 cars, mostly the retail cars but many from being a HW's club member for many years. The club cars are the real special cars and are sometimes difficult to get on the sale because of the low production numbers.

HW's collecting can be a lot of fun but requires a lot of time searching the pegs/bins to find those special finds, to say nothing about how much time and gas it takes.

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
Late on this thread. When ever Hot Wheels are discussed the conversation revolves around the Treasure Hunts. There is so much more to HW's than chasing the hunts. The bright side for me is that with so much attention given to finding the hunts, the really good cars are left behind for the serious collectors. Don't get me wrong, I chase the hunts also and have several hundreds of them, but they are not my priority. My collection of 30+ years consist of over 25,000 cars, mostly the retail cars but many from being a HW's club member for many years. The club cars are the real special cars and are sometimes difficult to get on the sale because of the low production numbers.

HW's collecting can be a lot of fun but requires a lot of time searching the pegs/bins to find those special finds, to say nothing about how much time and gas it takes.

The only reason I stopped was because of the house fire..I would probably have around 20,000 today if not for that. It was like a drug chasing those things from store to store..lol

Inspector

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Finger Lakes Region, Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Nox 600, w/6", Simplex+WHP, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Toltec, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only reason I stopped was because of the house fire..I would probably have around 20,000 today if not for that. It was like a drug chasing those things from store to store..lol

Sorry to hear you had to go through having a house fire and loosing your collection. You had some pretty valuable cars when it comes to the original redlines and blackwalls. I have purchased some of the originals on eBay, but not to many because of the cost, and of coarse most are played with condition.

Today if I have to choose between hunting cars or hunting treasure it's hunting treasures.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions