Treasure hunting becoming banned in all states???

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Brett2259, I too asked the same thing when this link appeared on another forum. It clearly has to do with salvage, treasure (gold bars, piles of silver, motherloads, etc...., ala Mel Fisher type stuff), not solo coins/relics on land/beach. And yes, clearly seems to do with underwater stuff, with no mention made of land sites. But I believe the answer to your & my's question is in the precedents it sets. The mere use of arguments and premises they use, as reason for their logic of what belongs to the state, (or who can hunt for it, retrieve it, etc...) would have no problem in applying land hunters. Granted, the average land hunter hunts for individual coins and relics. And to the extent there are some cache hunter, and land caches found, we can agree that they don't stack up to the stuff found on shipwrecks! But the logic is still there, and nothing stops it from applying to us. That is the scary thing.

For example: If you or I go down to the old park in town, and find a barber dime that's worth $50, no one really pays attention, on a bureaucratic level, right? Ie.: just some geek plying the sandbox or turf for loose change. But wait, what if that "geek" found a gold bar, and word got into the newspaper? Afterall, who's to say that back when a barn stood in the 1800s, where the park now stands, that a miser couldn't have buried such a thing? There's nothing to stop the local city (or county or state, or wherever it was you were detecting) to catch wind of your good fortune, and say "hey wait a minute, that belongs to ALL the people (ie.: the govt. agency who owned the park), not just you!" Sure, they didn't care when it was only pocket change or some random silver coins you found. But who's to say what the financial cutoff is? Is it $100 items? $1000 items? $10,000 items? I mean, heck, there are some rare gold coins that've sold for $10s of thousands, right? You know the govt. can't get in the business of setting value limits and such, so they just say "no" across the board, to make it easy.

That is why some people see a slow encroachment, in that the logic can easily fit land hunters, if you construed it enough.

If you ask me, it's almost a self-fulfilling prophesy, when we fight these things, ask too many questions, etc... I mean, sure, maybe it you asked enough bureaucrats "Can I keep the gold coin I found in the park?" you'd find some to tell you "no, that belongs to the city or county" or whatever. But in the meantime, no one cared, UNTIL YOU ASKED. So on the one hand, it's instinct to fight these things, but on the other hand, it only gives them "food for thought" that "gee, we better address this pressing issue of land hunters too who are filling up our on-line comment boards" doh!

OP
OP
Darren in NC

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Well said, Tom. I couldn't have said it any better. Well said indeed. When we ignore one sector, it eventually comes around to set precedent in court to affect "our" area of interest, too. The more we allow them to take an inch, then those inches will add up until our hobby is gone.

Thanks so much for making a difference, guys and gals!

scubatreasure

Aug 14, 2008
Trinity, florida
Thank you Brett2259

some day you can say you were one out of many who stood up to be counted

and fought for what you believed in

the right for Americans to pursue happiness

without unnecessary government intervention

think about this Brett2259 how many people got rich doing this , i can count the ones i know on one hand

think of the hundreds of thousands who come to Florida every year with the hope and dream that maybe just maybe they will be that guy and find something...anything...

when you start to squash those peoples hopes and dreams you are cutting into the very fiber that this great country was built on ....so i commend you and everyone else that has taken the time to try...to try and stop this thing that they are doing to our brothers and sisters...our brothers and sisters in mding...

and ask me how many of our brothers and sisters went to an early grave doing what they loved ...i could write a book ...but i can also say ...being one of those pursuing a dream and knowing many of them that died pursuing there dream that they knew the risk and took the chance and would rather have died trying than to have had someone tell them that they couldn't ...that i am sure of Brett2259

SalinFL

Jul 14, 2005
Tampa, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
It figures... I just move back home to Tampa after being gone for far too long, I can't wait to get my feet wet and now I hear they want to ban beach detecting. I went right to the site and voted no. Hopefully someone will hear our collective voice.

osiris661

Sep 9, 2005
Key Biscayne, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excal II, Surf PI Pro, Garrett Ace250, DFX e-Series, Fisher 1280X
Well I can't say that I am surprised with this. This has been coming for quite a while and just wait until the state of Florida extends the state maritime boundaries. For years now I have worked the waters in the mid to lower keys and have many friends who do the same. I personally don't think this law is going to halt anyone I know from searching in Monroe County. Welcome to the pirate life everyone! See ya on the water, or under it :)

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
Looks like I am too late to comment. Darn. Ill suffice to say here that I hate politicians, bureaucrats, and especially those in or from Florida.

coda

Jun 29, 2007
Fairbanks, AK
Detector(s) used
MXT
Too late to comment but extremely angry. I don't feel state or federal government has the power to deny mine, or anyones right to historical research through any capacity as long as responsible efforts are made to preserve, document, and share in some manner. MDing is now the killer along with guns, drugs, violence? Is the consorted effort honestly focused on letting the past sleep forever and prevent discovery? I have become very diasppointed in our state and national leadership for years and this is simply another reason. I just don't get it. I found a small am/fm radio MDing on a beach in South Florida last weekend, and by official rationale must have violated something published by the FCC, and am now a menace to society.

coda

Feb 20, 2009
coda said:
Too late to comment but extremely angry. I don't feel state or federal government has the power to deny mine, or anyones right to historical research through any capacity as long as responsible efforts are made to preserve, document, and share in some manner. MDing is now the killer along with guns, drugs, violence? Is the consorted effort honestly focused on letting the past sleep forever and prevent discovery? I have become very diasppointed in our state and national leadership for years and this is simply another reason. I just don't get it. I found a small am/fm radio MDing on a beach in South Florida last weekend, and by official rationale must have violated something published by the FCC, and am now a menace to society.

coda

I realize this is old but I was just wondering why they don't understand things like this are the reason crime exists and continues to organize itself and flourish. So now I can't claim and make any money from finding exotic and expensive treasures? Okay, going to the blackmarket.

Galactic-Stone

Mar 12, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Total newbie here on TreasureNet. Can anyone give me a quick update about this issue? I am moving to Florida in a few weeks and plan on doing a lot of prospecting for fossils, teeth, points, metal detecting, etc.

Did Florida pass any new restrictions? I grew up there in the 80's and it was legal. I hope it still is.

Best regards,

MikeG

Varady NW FL

Dec 17, 2007
Milton, Florida
Detector(s) used
Pioneer 202 bounty
Ok Done ,
I wish that every member of the state of Florida would lose a family heirloom so that they in turn would have to hire a metal detectorist to find what they lost. Maybe then they would see and feel what the rest of us are feeling. not to cast the wrong impression of things. Thanks, keep it going

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions