Treasure hunting becoming banned in all states???

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
This Florida ruling will affect every state if allowed to pass. Even if you don't dive wrecks, PLEASE sign up and make a comment against it. It will eventually carry over to land sites as well. We need everyone to take a few minutes to protect our hobby.

Here is the direct link to the comment page. Simply scroll to the bottom and click on the blue "Make Comment" button, then enter rule 1A-31 in the subject box and your name and email address then enter your comment or the ones below can be copied and pasted if you agree with them.

https://www.flrules.org/Gateway/View_notice.asp?id=6172515

1. The vast majority of Florida's underwater cultural heritage has been found by the private sector. I am against any rules or regulations that would hinder historical shipwrecks from continuing to be recovered - especially by such a limited scope such as the current proposed rules.

2. For reasons of economy, efficiency and fairness, I believe the Division of Historical Resources should do more to work with the private sector salvors of Florida. Rule 1A-31 does not seek to do this.

3. I believe Florida's private sector salvors have done an excellent job of recovering and preserving our maritime heritage, to the direct benefit of the public and at little cost to the tax payers and should be allowed to continue with as little interference as possible. Rule 1A-31 does not allow for this.

4. I do not want my tax dollars limited to just state archaeologists diving on shipwrecks. The private sector salvors have done a great job, using their own money, with Florida getting the benefits. Rule 1A-31 needs to be revised so that collaboration will be possbile for all who are interested in Florida's underwater cultural heritage.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Done. But just curious: why do you think this would necessarily spread to the land site hunters? Seems to be only aimed at the highly lucrative wrecks (gold bars, etc...) not land hunting for common singular coins, relics, etc...

Although I DO see that the principle can "cross over", if you construed it enough. Ie.: no one pays attention to the geek with a detector in a school yard, sand box, or whatever. But if the city or state found out the guy had just found a stash of gold bars worth a fortune in the turf or sandbox, I guess all of the sudden, someone would say "hey, that belongs to the city (or county, or state, etc....). So I guess it's all a measure of the worth/value, as to the threshold of whether or not someone cares less?

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
done 10/7 9pm

scubatreasure

Aug 14, 2008
Trinity, florida
Thank you guys very much...keep up the good work...if anyone wants to read the facts about whats going on from the people on the front lines that are directly affected by this (our brothers in mding) then follow this link and read what they have to say....or just read the rule that they want to pass for yourself....it's the beginning of the end for mding on ne'er or in any water in the state of Florida and probably the rest of the country will follow suit........sincerely Limo Bob

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,183886.0.html

just follow this link

OP
OP
Darren in NC

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Tom_in_CA said:
Done. But just curious: why do you think this would necessarily spread to the land site hunters? Seems to be only aimed at the highly lucrative wrecks (gold bars, etc...) not land hunting for common singular coins, relics, etc...

Although I DO see that the principle can "cross over", if you construed it enough. Ie.: no one pays attention to the geek with a detector in a school yard, sand box, or whatever. But if the city or state found out the guy had just found a stash of gold bars worth a fortune in the turf or sandbox, I guess all of the sudden, someone would say "hey, that belongs to the city (or county, or state, etc....). So I guess it's all a measure of the worth/value, as to the threshold of whether or not someone cares less?

You answered your own question :wink:

Thanks for taking action, everyone! Keep 'em coming!

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I forgot, but remember to date your posts..
Thankyou everyone..

Molly. :thumbsup:

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
This is the part that I find most disturbing.

https://www.flrules.org/gateway/readFile.asp?sid=0&type=1&tid=970599&file=1A-31.0065.doc

This section states that you have to be a trained archaeologist to recover sunken treasure. If you are not you can not salvage the site.

Scary. The politicians do not want anyone to get ahead. Keep the masses poor and under the thumb of the government through restrictive legislation such as this bill.

I urge everyone to post their objections at the site.

Ray S

youk

Aug 11, 2007
Upstate, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Sunray Probe
Done 10/9/08!!!

Thank you for keeping us informed about important issues that could someday affect us all.

Youk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread