Help with Florida laws on metal detecting

skip_fla

Oct 6, 2004
Wakulla, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab
I was out detecting on the beach yesterday afternoon, in about knee deep water. I get a tap on the shoulder, turn around and there was the life guard. He told me that at one of his meetings a few weeks back that it is now illegal to detect in the water any ware within the state of Florida. I tried to explain to him that I was aware of it being illegal if I were in within 3000 feet of a ballast pile of one of the leases. However where I was at is at least 5 miles from the nearest lease. So my question is did the laws change. If not can you give me a link to the law that says that it is legal to hunt in the water. The life guard said that this beach is his regular beach and he would like to see the law that says that it is legal. If I could show him maybe he would let other life guards know.

PS: For those that know Florida I was at Pepper Park Beach North of Fort Pierce.

Thanks Skip
HH

billinstuart

Oct 17, 2004
stuart..the treasure coast..well, used to be
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur with a WOT!
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Tell him to take a hike. 1) There is no such law..perhaps he is confused about the recent legislation that apparently passed about incidental finds or whatever pertaining to rivers, not beaches. 2) He isn't a cop 3) Even if he was, get him to show you the legislation that says it is illegal. You're supposedta be innocent until proven guilty. 4) It is even legal to treasure hunt on beaches in FLORIDA state parks. That I have a copy of (somewhere). That boy has a great future as a condo commando.

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first reaction is to rant and rave about who does this life guard think he is. There are no laws that prohibit the use of metal detectors in the water, except for the shipwreck leases and national parks, and at state parks in Florida, that require written permission.
What Skip and many tourist may not be aware of is that there is a State underwater archeological preserve about 1,000 yards north of the Pepper Park boundary. The Urca de Lima lies on the first offshore reef in 10-15 feet of water, some 200 yards from shore. This Spanish ship was lost to the hurricane of 31 July, 1715 along with eleven other ships. Spear fishing and metal detecting are not permitted at this site. You are free to dive and snorkel, but do not remove anything from the site, look and don?t touch.
The life guard may be correct about the location that you were hunting. However, he is dead wrong about the rest of the state.

Q

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread