Detecting Laws

49er

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2005
Sun City, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites..MXT..GMT
OK all you detectors out there I need your help. I am retiring for good this year had enough of this consulting work to last me a life time. Will be traveling the good old USA in my RV and plan on spending as much time MDing than thinking about work. I have spent countless hours on the internet looking at different state detecting requirement then a bolt of lightning struck me. I can post a request here on "TreasureNet".

So what I need from all you fellow MDer's is a little of your time;

Tell me what state you live in.

What detecting laws prevail in your state.

Answering these questions is greatly appreciated and who knows I might see you out detecting some day, just look for a Bounder RV with Washington State plates.

Thanks 49er

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi 49er! I envy you...retiring and a whole country to detect! You'll have to keep us apprised of your travels and finds.

As far as the laws are concerned...that's going to be pretty tough. Federal laws, state laws, county laws, precinct laws, etc....lots of research to know it all, if it's even possible. Major detecting clubs in each state may have something they can provide. You could also determine where you're going to hunt along your route and find government contacts for each area...they could tell you what's up.

The following URL's, especially the second one, have some useful info...

http://www.treasurefish.com/laws.htm

http://www.treasurefish.com/government.htm

Good luck and HH!

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
I'm thinking they are a little more uptight about detectors back east than they are here. Civil war sites, the coasts of Florida, and Padre Island are gonna require a lot more checking into than out west.

I have hunted all over Oregon, some parts of Nevada, Arizona, California, and even Washington. Never been told I "can't do that here", only been asked for a permit once. Even then I didn't have it on me but told them I had it, and I kept right on a swingin'. No problem.

In other words, no worries. just check the parks dept in the city you're in, and go for it. Now if you happen to find that really nice one, worth some bucks, then silence is golden......

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your doing what I did when I retired and never looked back. Work time took away from my fun and I didn't show up plenty of days cause the the area looked to good to be true.

Laws vary by state and the links below given by The Beep Goes On are prime checks. Checking the metal detecting laws of each state are necessary. In Michigan, there are many laws about metal detecting. State Parks for example use to be open for detecting, but now most have restrictions and some are even closed to ALL detecting. Local parks have different policies too. One thing that seems standard all over is that if something is missing, finders are not keepers if there is an owner. That's why you only find junk...... ;D

Good luck on the retirement. Don't let the tires freeze to the ground, go to the ocean beaches for the gold. Check out this web site. www.thegoldenolde.com/

HH,
Sandman

frogsmile

Dec 18, 2005
ohio
Detector(s) used
whites spectrem and fisher impulse and minelab excal.
the laws in ohio difer quite a bit but hear is what i know. metro parks are off limits the game wardens can take your equipment and give a fine. the state parks allow you to hunt the beaches as long as you fill in your holes. the coast guard says that water hunting is free and open to anyone up to the high water mark on any beach. remember to always get permission for private property.the people in ohio seem to be pretty nice if you ask before you hunt. Good luck and i hope to see you out on the beach someday. ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread