Detector(s) used
CZ-3D, CZ-20,CZ-21, F-75 LTD, AT Pro, F-44
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
ADS Master Hunter 7 (Retired)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
NO TINPAN!! You can't jump the fence to go hunting!!! The owner said so!!! :o

Posted this on the the "today" site too!

Just thought it would bring a smile after all the hype!!

Have a nice day! ;D Dave N Japan

Attachments

• CCI00011.JPG
    CCI00011.JPG
    88.2 KB · Views: 372
  • CCI00011.JPG
    CCI00011.JPG
    88.2 KB · Views: 361

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pete, in my state, Oklahoma there is no limit on found property. You're supposed to try to locate an owner and if not, you "may" turn it in to the local law enforcement and claim it after 90 days. Most people ignore it if there is no obvious way to located the owner such as an errant ten dollar bill, change, objects with no serial numbers or markings, etc., but some people turn in everything while others turn in nothing. Monty

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the answer is different for each person, based on our makeup. I would not hunt without permission even if I know of treasure buried, but I would also not stop trying other avenues of possible permission. If it is a question of just a place to hunt, there are enough quality places within my location to keep me busy for 1000,s of outings. If hunting locations were few I must admit that I would be tempted to at least test the site on a quick midnight hunt. If I did no one would know I did, because I would not tell them. I know this is not completely honest but honest does not mean be stupid. If acknowledging your hunt is going to get you in trouble then don,t do it (common sense here). I wish all, good decision making or tight lips, whichever is needed.

Ed Donovan

dudes2112

Jan 25, 2005
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
Wow, this has gotten wild over the last few days...

I saw all of the posts and thought I should clarify a bit. When I read the original post I had not read anything from TinPan's other posts about the subject, so I have no other info than what was in this post to base my decision.

I have never, not once, trespassed on anyone's land and have even gotten written permission from the park directors before detecting on public park property, just so you know where I'm coming from. I also don't plan on trespassing in the near future :)

However, if there was a site that had $1000s worth of gold, coins, etc, and it was all going to be destroyed the next day by bulldozers, I'm going in. And don't miss understand, it's not for the historical value!

I guess to me the facts are clear, it exsists and no one cares, it's going to be destroyed. Seems like someone ought to be able to use it. I have a childhood story on this very subject I will relate a bit later as I have more time.

Dudes

dudes2112

Jan 25, 2005
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
One more point to clarify... When I read the initial post it did say gold bars so I was thinking BIG! Everyone has their limits, I wouldn't be breaking the law for $10.

Dudes

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
E

EarthWalker

tinpan said:
mding has also got its own critics {e.g nature groups} and they don't like what we do and its makes no difference how we conduct ourselves they will allways oppose us. tinpan

yeah, the nature groups perspective is a bit of a Dichotomy. They want to keep it pure, yet they are willing to let 100+ year old trash stay in the ground contaminating the area as the ground leaches the minerals, especially if the metal has a lead base. I see Metal Detectorists as a potential free clean up crew. We are paid by the hunts themselves, and they area recieves a free cleaning (and good fung sheu to boot).
I guess if I were confronted with such a group, I could say "well then, I'll just go ahead and drop off my unwanted household items in the forest randomly, and oh, don't pick them up cause in 50+ years they will be relics and legaly protected".

dudes2112

Jan 25, 2005
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
Alright here's the story everyone has been on the edge of their seat for:

I was about 4 or 5 years old and my favorite toy was the metal Tonka dump truck, (about 16" long and 8" high with big plastic tires) I think everyone had one of those. Anyway the one I had looked like it had been handed down through about 30 different families, rusted almost beyond recognition, it still worked though. My neighbor right next door (I think 5 years older than me) had a brand spankin new Tonka truck that he never used.

One day I look out the window and there is the dump truck on top of the garbage cans next door, still as shiney as ever. I ran and told my mom and she said it was illegal to take something out of someone's trash so I ran next door to ask someone if I could have it, the parents were at work and the kid was at school. I knew that both the kid and the parents would have said it was ok to have, but they just weren't there to ask.

The garbage truck came and they threw all the stuff in the back, not really sure why the garbage man didn't take it. Get the tissue box, here's the sad part... That compactor thing that pushes the trash up into the main part of the truck came down directly on the Tonka and one of the wheels popped off and fell onto the road, the trash guy picked it up and tossed it back in the truck.

If I had that one to do over again, I would have ran out there and grabbed that sucker or maybe asked the garbage man if I could have it, prior to the crushing of course. Although as a 5 year old I probably wouldn't have been allowed to talk to the garbage man anyway...

I was about 25 years old when I was at a garage sale and saw one for $5, still have it to this day.

Dudes

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This kind of reminds me of the saying" If a tree falls in the woods and no one hears it does it make a noise?". The metal detecting version would be "If I detect a property without permission, don,t get caught , and don,t tell anyone about it, was I really there?"

PS don,t think too hard this is just hypothetical.(big word for just for thought).

Ed (The Philosopher!) Donovan

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if a sign is not posted at say a demo site welllllll............

OP
OP
bomber

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok thats it!this post is DEAD.lets wait a few months till someone else posts something similar and start alll over again.THANKS 2 ALL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread