gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Plead not guilty and you will do okay. Keep a level head. You must answer a simple ticket. You are not a criminal. The judge is wise. The judge don't want to see your sorry azz, he's much too busy for you. So do some level-headed talking and hope for the best. Heck, consult your favorite lawyer if you are intent on bringing this calamity to a happy ending for everyone.

If the judge wants to get fussy about the alleged (and totally illegal) damage to public foliage or grass or trees or flowers or structures or facilities or fences or wildlife or whatever), you don't have a leg to stand on in the eyes of the law, simply because it is outlawed. You will lose, pay the fine and court fee and move on. It sucks. So what? Who cares. If metal detecting is legal, just make sure you don't do any 'tectin' around no crazy-azz police man looking all glory in the eyes of himself.

warrior

Greenie
Feb 4, 2011
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Ace 250
I live in HB, and rarely hunt in the fields. I try to stick to the tot lots where I "displace" sand or wood chips. In the fields I've gone to (mainly soccer) they have been loaded, so I would like to add them to my routine. Those same fields have been demolished by the soccer players, not by me. In fact, I'm probably doing that field some good by aerating the cement like dirt they have created.

I will send an email out to the listed authorities, and if anyone living or hunting in HB would like to attend a council meeting with me, let me know. I have worked with many of the city officials on special events, so I don't have an issue bringing things to their attention.

Jesse

IWillFindTheGold

Nov 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Rooster's a good man and his post is very helpful.

I've often wondered what a cop might say if he stopped me while I was MDing.

On one occasion a park official stopped his truck yards away from me and was ogling me and I just looked back and his at him and then continued detecting. (detecting is legal in the city in question) That being said, if anyone does stop me and ask me about MDing, I always let them know the law as I understand it. In other words, you did the right thing by defending yourself by telling the cop that MDing is legal in that area.

Fight it, but be careful of that cop. As others have stated, he might have it in for you and try to catch you and hassle you for some other bogus charges in the future. You don't need that kind of pain.

That being said, you should fight for your rights. You are in America, right? Good luck. :icon_thumright:

HCW

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2007
Metro west ,Boston
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Whites MXT "retired"
The few times Iv'e been approached by a cop while detecting he's been more curious than any thing else. Iv'e tried to be respectful, friendly and informative to them and anyone else for that matter when someone comes up. I hope everything works out.

fmerg

Nov 1, 2008
kingston ny
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
minelab quattro, explorer se pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i have a few things i do when being watched or approached by police
1) stop what ever you are doing
2) place all gear on ground and stand up
3) step back from gear
4) say hello first
5) if the officer say you can not detect here say all right please let me cover my hole
6) after finishing covering your hole then start a general conversation

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
You must either be joking or a cop. Being polite to them is good advice.. BUT.. this is still the good old USA so far and unless you're in the middle of comitting a serious crime, the police also need to be polite to the citizens. Dirty Harry types who abuse their power to hassle law abiding citizens just because they can need to be put in their place. Call me old fashioned but I grew up in the days when "live & let live" was the word of the day and the police were here to protect the public from criminals.

mosemeister

Mar 10, 2006
Upper Bucks County,PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro UMax Silver
Clearly, Capndan151, was upset over the incident with the officer, and feels he was doing nothing wrong. From reading his post, and the extent to which the officer exuded his authority,I feel Capndan151 had every right to defend his integrity and his rights as a responsible detectorist.

As far as Capndan151 asking for advice and help on this forum, the members are always more than welcome to help a fellow detectorist, in all capacities. I wish him the best.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread