Stupid, stupid, stupid Oregon policies.....

MikeOregon

Nov 26, 2005
Detector(s) used
White's V3
Hi,

I'm just back from a week at the Oregon coast, where I discovered the following:

1. Even though virtually all Ocean beaches in Oregon are public property, if you want to detect on the beach that fronts a state park, you need a permit. The permits are free, but the bureaucrats have had their fun, as follows--

2. For example, I was staying at a beach cabin in Waldport, about the center of the coastline. If I wanted to explore to the north, I had to go to Newport for a permit, but if I wanted to explore to the south, I had to go to Florence for a permit. There was a state park about 200 yards south of my cabin, but to get permission to detect it, I would have had to drive a round trip of about 60 miles on twisty and heavily congested coastal highway.

3. Only the sandy beaches are covered by the permits. Any detecting in picnic areas, parking lots, etc. is illegal.

4. Even though the permit only covers sandy beaches, it says that the only things you can dig with would be
"an ice-pick, screwdriver, or small knife." So kids making sand castles can legally dig with shovels, but
detectorists cannot!

5. Policy #7 on my permit says that anything I find, (and coins are specifically named) must be turned in to the
park manager and left for 90 days to see if anyone claims them before they become mine.

I am not sure who is writing the rules and laws in Salem, but whoever it is, they are really not very informed. I hope detectorists can somehow band together and have some influence on making intelligent policy. Again, and we cannot say this often enough, it is a few who ruin things for the rest of us. We have a duty and responsibility to insist on ethical detecting practices and to police ourselves so that we do not become part of the group that ruins things for others. It is not difficult to envision a future in which detecting is banned entirely. I hope that companies that make detectors (eg. White's is located right here in Oregon) would also see this as a possibility and that it would raise their level of concern to the point that they begin assisting detectorists in fighting these unfair and downright stupid laws and policies.

Mike in Oregon

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Does the permit come with an armed guard to make sure you anty up the booty??? :P Makes you wonder what they discuss around the table to come up with these ideas. Bottom line is: They don't make it easy for ya, do they! Sounds like you went ahead and got your permit. What did you find that you had to turn over?

That's stupid, alright! >:( -Noodle

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
try gold dredging its worse!

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Hmmm, kinda makes ya wonder why I don't get those permits when I head out anywheres but home. Ignorance is bliss, never get bothered.

I gotta call BS on the "few spoiling it for the rest of us" comment. This is a beach. Even if someone dug a five foot deep hole, it would be gone at next tide.

This is someone griping loud and hard at someone in Salem, with no representation from the MDing community to give another viewpoint.

I personally went to Salem, set up a display and a gold panning booth to show the senators, aides, lobbyists, etc. what Mding and gold panning was all about. Had a great time doing it, and showed them the positive things we do- ie; removing trash, knives, needles, etc. from our beaches and parks.

Getting a permit simply means you are aware of the rules which can't be followed, and could make you liable for breaking them.

Not getting a permit means you can claim ignorance, apologize, and move on.

I carry a permit for here in Eugene, as most of the people who would bother to stop me have no clue about the rules anyways, its too obscure. Outside of Eugene, I don't bother.

OP
OP
MikeOregon

MikeOregon

Nov 26, 2005
Detector(s) used
White's V3
The ban on using a shovel in the sand and the requirement to turn things in are both absolutely crazy and need to be changed. Jeffro is absolutely right that the tide fills the holes, and of course, no state employee is going to want to be handed 4 cents to look after for 90 days until people have had a chance to claim it. The rules are there only to be enforced when the state feels it has some interest in doing so; otherwise I believe enforcement officers will simply ignore detectorists on Oregon's beaches.

However, I still think it's appropriate to follow the other rules, because I truly do believe that if enough people violate the rules, the next step will be a total ban, and then, as happens so often in our world, those who try to do the right thing end up being messed over by those who don't.

Mike

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
This is true. In the metal detecting area though, the rules are written by people who have no clue whatsoever, based upon info from those who gripe. The squeaky wheel gets the grease, as they say.

Mark S.

Jan 25, 2005
Mike

As a piece of info for the coming year. There is a bill of interest waiting in the Oregon legislature. It passed the Senate in the last (2005) session. It was in committee in the House at the end of the session. It was posted by me on various forums at that time. The bill extends the archaeologists grip to PRIVATE property. You read that right. It is a very bad piece of legislation for everyone, not just the TH'ing community. It passed the Senate by a vote of 24 to 4. This shows you where most of the Oregon Senators sit on private property rights. When this one pops back up I will be posting it for all to see. And to voice your opposition. I am in the process right now of writing up a legislative piece on it for Western & Eastern. Should be submitting it shortly.

Mark Schuessler
FMDAC Alliance Liaison

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MikeOregon said:
5. Policy #7 on my permit says that anything I find, (and coins are specifically named) must be turned in to the
park manager and left for 90 days to see if anyone claims them before they become mine.

Well, First thing I'd do is Once a Week, Go to the Park Manager.

Tell him I spent alot of time there and Lost alot of Quarters.

About 50 of them.

If he needs me to ID them, they all had Washington on them.

"Except for the Old Silver Ones" and Insist if they have any of them

I want them back. :P

"and by the way, Did Anyone turn in my $20.00 Gold piece I lost Yet ?"

"I Don't remember the date, but I do remember it was Gold"

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread