New York City needs our help

Mark S.

Jan 25, 2005
The metal detecting community just banded together to avert a ban in Carthage, MO. Now the New York City area is asking for help in their continued fight. Here is the email as I received it. NYC is a bit larger then Carthage so we need to get everyone involved in this one. We're on a roll! Or at least we maybe we are starting one. So keep it going.

For widest possible distribution. Thank you all for your help.

To anyone who metal detects or otherwise supports this wholesome activity, we need and are asking for your help. The Task Force for Metal Detecting Rights has been advocating for the pastime for over 15 years. We have asked for help from time to time over this period, and some have stepped forward, but this time we need all to step forward to help us effect change.
The Task Force asks that you write, email or phone the New York City Department of Parks and Recreation to request the following:

That metal detecting be removed from 'prohibited status' in NYC parks and that it be listed instead as a regulated activity.

That the arbitrary rule that prohibits metal detecting within 25' of a tree, be repealed.

These requests should be made to NYC Parks Commissioner Adrian Benepe and Assistant Comissioner Michael Dockett.

Adrian Benepe Michael Dockett
The Arsenal, Central Park The Arsenal North
830 Fifth Avenue 1234 Fifth Avenue, Rm. 213
New York, N.Y. 10065 New York, N.Y. 10029

[email protected] [email protected]

212 360-1305 212 360-2778

FACTS TO USE IN YOUR COMMUNICATION;

The only other recreational activities that have "prohibited status" in NYC parks are aviation related and would clearly pose a danger to park patrons. All other recreational activities are designated as regulated uses

The Task Force has presented evidence to the parks department,corroborated by "Colorado State University" and "Trees New York", that "One of the biggest killers of urban trees is soil compaction." It is clear that the act of retrieving a target located with a metal detector, relieves soil compaction and is therefore actually beneficial to trees. No other park activities, many of which do contribute to soil compaction have been excluded from this 25' circle around trees. (i.e. laying on a blanket).

"Trees New York" states that "Dog urine is acidic and the feces are high in nitrates, both are harmful to trees. There is no restrictive distance with respect to trees imposed on dogs in New York City parks. In fact, dogs even have off leash hours where they can roam around freely.

With the arbitrary 25' rule in effect, a total area of 1962.5' of parkland around each tree is closed to metal detecting.

SOME RELEVANT OBSERVATIONS BY TASK FORCE CO-CHAIR AVERY MARDER

When I was in the Prospect Park on "Volunteers Day", we were all assigned tasks to do.
I went out with a group to work on maintenance around trees !
Some of us were given shovels, some rakes and others were given PITCH FORKS !
Those with the pitch forks were told to turn the soil after the weeds and undergrowth were cleared away.

Hmmmmm...think about that - pitch fork, digging in the soil around a tree - to help the tree.

When I lived in Ditmas Park Brooklyn, the neighborhood would get a group of volunteers together every Arbor Day, and we'd go around planting new trees to replace those that were gone for various reasons, and we'd also, under the direction of a representative of the Dept of Parks, "relieve the problems" around the local "tree pits". A tree pit is the area a live tree is growing out of, surrounded by the sidewalk cement.
We would clean up the area, remove any decorative bricks or stones that were there, and turn the soil to relieve the compacted situation.
This was all done under the supervision of Dept of Parks employees.

Mezrein503

Jul 7, 2010
Hillboro
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Consider my support added. Sent a letter to both of them. Metal detecting in my area is sort of grey, some say no problem and some say stay away. I've only ever once been kicked out of a place once, and have several times been met with curiosity, even park staff have not bothered me, and normally only want to know if I've found anything. I do wish I could talk to someone in my county / city about getting metal detecting options being opened up to construction sites... That was the one place I was kicked out of, a recently plowed field that is now being turned into a road. There was no equipment around, no hazards, just mounds of dirt and flat worked ground just begging to be detected. The field in question was so rock hard that water would not seep into it, it just sat on the top. I would have gladly signed any waivers, forms, paperwork, whatever saying that I would not hold the city / county responsible if I somehow managed to get hurt on the property. If I do something stupid that results in me getting hurt, why would I blame them? I was the idiot who wasn't careful, not them... Anyway I'm rambling and not trying to thread hijack here. Letters sent, hopefully NYC Parks and Rec will see the light.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread