MN & ND Detecting Laws

LostBoy

Jun 14, 2005
Re: MN & ND Detecting Laws

State website says state parks are definately a no no.. Except under odd circumstances approved by parks director....

Century code doesn't mention it....

Some cities do have laws about in town..

Either way I'd get hold of closest city to area and check their laws.

George (MN)

May 16, 2005

MN also fines people for detecting in state forests. For county parks, I guess the sheriffs dept could tell you whether or not it's OK, & the local police for city parks. The people at city & county rec HQ will probably in many cases quote something out of a book, making it sound illegal.

I called St. Paul parks & asked if OK to detect, & they said OK to sweep detector, but no digging. I said is my screwdriver a shovel & they said it also said no disturbing (the grass). They also said I could check with the police, so I did & asked them if I could be fined for detecting in St. Paul parks. They said maybe if I left a big hole that could injure someone & other than that, to use my own judgement.

There have always been laws against damaging property, but most cities don't mind detecting as long as nothing is harmed to the point where it needs fixing. Most detectorists use a screwdriver to pop out shallower coins, & probably something like a Lesche digger (strong but dull knife with 7" blade) & cut a partial circle or square, leaving it connected on 1 side & fold it back, take out coin, return dirt into hole & flip grass back over hole & stomp on grass so hopefully it won't turn brown. Best done when ground is moist.

Any city park that allows detecting would at least allow a screwdriver. Ramsey county parks requires a free permit & Hennepin co parks an expensive permit only good for beaches.

Members in your local club (listed on this site) may also be able to tell you if you can detect a particular place. HH, George (MN)

Blackjack77

Jun 16, 2006
Minnesota

Hi, I just stumbled on this post and decided to share what I know about
Minnesota detecting. Information emailed to Me by a fellow detector in Minn
indicated the local City park was OK to detect, but not to dig. Screwdriver was never mentioned
but maybe OK. County land was OK, but I'm sure damage could change that.
I have always detected Playgrounds and areas with woodchips and sand.I use
discretion on other public playgrounds and school yards- usually best to check.
Private property-- always ask first!! Tax forfeit-- depends,probably should ask.
good luck & HH

State parks-- NO,NO,NO!!

wolfpaw518

Oct 15, 2006
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Sharpshooter II

I work full time local Ambulance in Southern Minnesota, as such we sometimes have lunch with some of the officers. During one meal with a MN State Trooper and a couple of Sherriffs, I casually asked about metal detecting, none of them had a clue, it seems that this is VERY low on there priority list. They did mention the safety issues though. One officer said if someone were to call and complain it might be looked into, but even then it would probably be a "move along" kinda thing...

neil

kcommandos

Oct 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
whites classic idx

most people don't give a rat about it police don't care only if some one complanes about it
most state parks are run buy the community just cover the holes you dig i have hunted state parks
with no bother just stay out of the big city's go to some smaller ones population under 2000
should be fine

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread