Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Florida is essentially eliminating Treasure Hunting July 1, 2012

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    May 2008
    Rockwall, TX
    71 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting

Re: Florida is essentially eliminating Treasure Hunting July 1, 2012

The biggest problem with this whole bill, being vague or not, comes down to one thing....

If metal detecting isn't explicitly EXCLUDED for the hobbyist, then it's implicitly INCLUDED to mean such.

Interpretation of the law isn't OUR job... That's left to the ticket writers.

But the biggest indication that it's a personal attack on metal detecting is that there are enough laws on the books to protect those sacred grounds involving shipwrecks. The question to ask is WHY this bill has to be passed? What's in THIS bill that isn't covered elsewhere.... and I think you'll find that it's the vague underwriting.

us
    chuck

Feb 2007
    spacecoast florida
    fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
    273 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

update...........................

from Jerry Hitson (FMDAC):

Update from Alan Hayes:

The effects of SB 868 have been misunderstood. This bill simply extends current law to areas in which the State currently does not have jurisdiction. The extension is very small in scope in order to cover areas such as those depict. These are pictures of land owned by Lake County Water Authority, a political subdivision/special taxing district created by the legislature within my district. As current law is written, when this type of damage is done to the property, law enforcement’s hands are tied and they cannot take action to enforce preservation of the land or the artifacts recovered. As you can see from the pictures, the bill is addressing unauthorized excavation and exploration on these types of lands.

This bill does not impact private lands, the ability of individuals to use a metal detector on our beaches, or any of the activities these hobby enthusiasts legally enjoy now.

My office has been in contact with staff from detectingrights.com. and clarified what the bill actually addresses. Hopefully, if you belong to that organization, you will be receiving an email soon. I would also encourage you to visit the updated post on their website at detectingrights.com and look at the tab which states items requiring immediate attention.

I understand where some of the confusion on this bill may have originated. The original language of the bill had a drafting error that was caught and corrected during the first committee stop. The bill originally read “any lands” when it should have read “any state owned lands”, so it was never my intent to prohibit anyone from doing anything on their own land. It was never my intention to create overly burdensome regulations, and I do believe in keeping government small, but when I see in my own district where our shorelines are being washed away by someone with a “borrowed” garden hose, or holes are being dug deep enough for someone to stand in, and all this damage must be repaired, I need to take action.

I do appreciate the posts and your letting me know this concern was out there and that word was spreading regarding the potential impact of this bill. Hopefully, I have been able to address your concerns and create a better understanding of what this legislation is all about.

Staff Analysis for SB 868
    [www.flsenate.gov]
    /Fc8PqfZE=PL=7glAi5D5WcObC2RU74=%7C11/Public/Bills/
    0800-0899/0868/Analysis/2012s0868.pre.bta.PDF
    News updates from Task Force For Metal Detecting Rights Foundation
    you dont know what you dont know, and you dont know what you dont dig!!!!!!!!

us
    Jan 2012
    1 times

Seeing as I just bought a detector a couple weeks ago with the intent of beach hunting, detecting on beaches is still kosher? I was about to get really ticked and write another letter to Scott.

us
    discovering & preserving our past for future generations

Dec 2004
    Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
    71 times
    Shipwrecks

If you are on Facebook, please join this open group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/162198840565602/

Apologies if this was posted elsewhere.

Thank You, Tom

us
    May 2008
    Wisconsin
    GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
    578 times

"The effects of SB 868 have been misunderstood. This bill simply extends current law to areas in which the State currently does not have jurisdiction."

Read that statement again, until it sinks in.

We have those areas in Wisconsin. Two years ago the DNR archie decided on his own that there would be NO detecting on state controlled properties. That, because of a legal principle called the "Public Trust Doctrine". He is the officer of that Public Trust, and so prohibits metal detecting on state controlled properties.

That includes ALL waters in the state; rivers, streams, lakes, and marshes.

As well as state parks, state natural areas, state recreation areas, state forests, and probably shorelines. Here's a link to that discussion:
    http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php?topic=215494.0

Why won't that happen in Florida?

Archies are irritated that anyone but them can dig in the dirt, "their turf". It's that simple. They watch TV and see the shows and they see stuff we dig up (in Wisconsin it's copper points), and it violates the "Public Trust Doctrine". They are its cops. It's envy and jealousy and job protection (and the nagging question of why THEY'RE not finding much). Anyone who thinks otherwise is deluding themselves.

"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." — Friedrich Nietzsche

"You ask where I live. I cannot tell you. I am a Voyageur, a Chicot, sir. I live everywhere. My grandfather was a voyageur; he died while on a voyage. My father was a voyageur; he died while on a voyage. I will also die while en route, and another Chicot will take my place. Such is our course of life."

us
    chuck

Feb 2007
    spacecoast florida
    fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
    273 times

chanel 9 news brevard county, just did a report on the tresurehunting ban. it might air again on the 6pm or 11pm broadcast.
    chuck.
    you dont know what you dont know, and you dont know what you dont dig!!!!!!!!

Feb 2008
    19 times

Quote Originally Posted by seeker41
    chanel 9 news brevard county, just did a report on the tresurehunting ban. it might air again on the 6pm or 11pm broadcast.
    chuck.
    the written version
    http://www.wftv.com/news/news/local/...ulation/nLKNx/

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    1819 times
    Banner Finds (3)

lost-causes, thanx for the link. Interesting.
    Metal detecting is my one worldy vice!

Feb 2008
    19 times

Tom I think we see this mess as over hyped.

It is creating a great deal of attention to the Mders though, which I don't see as good.

us
    May 2008
    Wisconsin
    578 times

Tom,

Maybe now you can see what's going on here. BTW, anyone that's spent any time on these pages knows that most of the stuff said about Bob is untrue.

We've been called "pot hunters" and "Grave robbers" for years by these guys, but it's plain to see that the fight now has been ramped up by some stealth campaign.

I've worked with and known archeologists, both as a surveyor and as a metal detectorist, and I've got to say most of them are unproductive (a polite term for lazy), arrogant, dogmatic, and self-important. Remember, these were the guys who said there were no Vikings in the New World for years after the L'Anse aux Meadows site was uncovered - by a lawyer-explorer. I have actually known a few that were hard-working, honest, diligent, and worst crime of all - open minded and curious. Together with them a lot of work has gotten done.

These have been a joy to work with, and it's no surprise that the good ones are shunned by the bad ones, and threatened with discreditation, a sort of 21st century witch hunt with their careers in the hands of the academic establishment.

"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." — Friedrich Nietzsche

"You ask where I live. I cannot tell you. I am a Voyageur, a Chicot, sir. I live everywhere. My grandfather was a voyageur; he died while on a voyage. My father was a voyageur; he died while on a voyage. I will also die while en route, and another Chicot will take my place. Such is our course of life."

us
    Jun 2011

what detrermins a archaeological site in the state ,any site over fifty years old ,ponce landed in 1513,can you hunt beach by shipwrecks?

us
    May 2009
    Florida
    Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
    303 times

If the bill was only made public 2 days before finalization, I'm pretty sure it would violate the state's Sunshine Law.

us
    May 2008
    Wisconsin
    578 times

Quote Originally Posted by badman#5
    what detrermins a archaeological site in the state ,any site over fifty years old ,ponce landed in 1513,can you hunt beach by shipwrecks?
    Somebody else besides you; like some faceless archeologist.

Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2009
    Florida- Somewhere in the middle
    MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Just my opinion, but when ever a proposed law will affect the big boys (commercial salvagers), it seems to come onto the general MD community like ours (amateur beach detectors) as a "sky is falling" scenario so to build support to defeat a law that would affect THEM....
    I've seen that scenario play out a lot on Spearfishing boards as well, i.e., "soon, no one will ba able to spear a fish anywhere".... Six years later, and you can still Spearfish in Florida...
    I really think they care little about us Amateurs.. But the big boys, that scuba, use dredges/vacuums, etc., probably WILL end up losing their ability to get gold from the water.... IMHO....
    You never think you need an extra machine, until the one you have breaks down...

Charter Member
    us
    FlAuthor

Aug 2004
    Minneola, FL
    Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
    125 times

Write to Governor Rick Scott as he can veto this bill. Rick Scott is a business man not a lawyer like many previous governors were. Write our Representatives too but be sure to send one to Gov. Rick Scott.
    7 books authored: Forts, Camps & Batteries of Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, Pennsylvania and Ohio.
    Where to Metal Detect in Central Florida and South Florida.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors