cemetery

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe detecting in a cemetery would tend to give MD'ers a bad image, sort of like a ghoul. I wrote a store about detecting cemeteries and no treasure editor would buy it for this reason an I had to agree with them.

At least there shouldn't be many pull tabs............ ;)

Sandman

lucky1777

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2005
Illinois
Make sure you have permission, stay away from graves and you should have no problem. You will probably get a lot of negative responses from this topic. Just ask any of them if they would like to metal detect Gettysburg and I bet most would say YES. That ground is as sacred if not more than a cemetery. Just my oppinion GOOD LUCK...

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
This will sound horrible... but my parents have a big farm with 2 small historical cemeteries on it. First thing i did when i got my first detector (granted... i was 16), was to go detect them. They are old, with stones back to the mid to late 1800s. And you wouldn't believe what i found - NOTHING. I even did it again several years ago with my DFX and again found nothing.

Granted... this was private property and its over a mile off the public roads... so i didn't feel too bad. As for a public cemetery... I'd have to pass on those. You'd probably find some really good things, but think of the perception people would have. And how would you know that anything you dug wasn't placed there by a family member? I's say that there are a lot more cons vs pros, and i would suggest leaving it alone. There are plenty of other spots to MD
steve

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think that hunting a cemetery would be a very good idea. It IS rather ghoulish and would definitely the image of detectorists all over...

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have metal detected cemetary grounds before, and I have found some nice old coins. My rule of thumb is that it has to be a site in a secluded area where people are unlikely to notice. Permission is a thorny issue on private property. I usually ask to look the area outside of the cemetary, but I may eventually wander in and take a swing or two. Even though we know that we won't be digging deeper than about 6 inches, it does raise some eyebrows where the general public is concerned. New coffins do give off a signal, but it is easy to tell where these are. The best cemetary is one that is really old, secluded, and largely forgotten. I hunted such a cemetary (graves going back to the 1700's) and found an Indian Head Cent and some other nice coins early this summer. Some such sites do not have gravestones, but are merely sunken places in the ground (creepy!). In places like these--especially if the soil is rocky--I try not to dig very deep. The graves may be quite shallow because of soil conditions. Sometimes piles of stones were placed over shallow graves to keep animals from desecrating them. Again, in situations like these be careful, be stealthy, and don't dig very deep.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm with BuckleBoy on this one.

Sure, people look at it as a bad thing. But if you have permission then go ahead. I've hunted a couple of cemetaries and to date have not found anything at any of them.

The way I see it... if there are spirits of the dead held there watching you I would assume that they would want you to enjoy yourself while you are still alive.

Sometimes I even try to clean up some of the grave markers or help stand them back up again.

But if someone asks you to leave, then just leave and don't try to argue.

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Sandman said:
I believe detecting in a cemetery would tend to give MD'ers a bad image, sort of like a ghoul. I wrote a store about detecting cemeteries and no treasure editor would buy it for this reason an I had to agree with them.

At least there shouldn't be many pull tabs............ ;)

Sandman

Agree.

BAD IMAGE.
Why I don't do it. Just looks so bad to those that
don't understand what hobby is about.

have a good un...........

all have a good un...........

T

TreasureTales

Most rules of "etiquette" are based on respect towards others -- doing what's sensible and responsible and in good taste. Based on that, and good ol' common sense, I'd throw my 2 cents towards NOT hunting in cemeteries themselves. I'd see no problem with detecting the parking areas outside the fences, but detecting over graves is just plain insensitive and WRONG. Is finding treasure so important that we disregard common decency and detect where ever we want? I hope not! How would you like somebody digging over your loved one's graves? Besides, that little piece of land was BOUGHT and PAID FOR by somebody, so it's a lot like private property.

If I saw a metal detectorist anywhere near my loved ones' graves, I'd run the SOB out!!! And I'd do the same for graves of strangers, as a sign of respect. And unmarked graves should receive the same respect, whether on private land or public. Ever hear of karma? Don't do things that will bring you bad karma, metal detecting gravesites will bring you bad karma, in my opinion.

Let's not do things that add more distrust and distaste to our hobby. There are thousands of other, less objectionable places to detect, why not seek those places out instead?

lucky1777

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2005
Illinois
Recruiter, if you have permission go for it. I don't believe if you fill your holes and not detect over graves you will give OUR HOBBY a black eye. Like I said before, most people would love to detect a battle field or a sunken Spanish ship(graveyard at sea). Thats OK????

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't believe I'm that desperate for a site :D. I tend to agree with the majority, it would definitely give the hobby a very bad name.

Why would you want to do this anyway?

?Just Wondering?

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Night Stalker said:
Why would you want to do this anyway?

For the chance to dig up some old coins.

But just like lucky said... if you are hunting a battle site or sunken ship then you are doing the same thing.

And if people are arguing respect towards others... wow, I'm sure I could find a way that every single person on this forum, including myself, disrespects other people on a daily basis without even probably knowing it.

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Cortez Minelab SE
I have to say, MDing in a cemetary isn't quite the same as graverobbing. I've hit a couple of very old cemetaries, but they seem to all be duds. I've never dug more than 4-5", nowhere near the graves themselves. For what I've gotten vs the decency factor, it just doesn't seem worth it. I do have to agree that it really isn't the same as an archealogical(sp?) dig, tragedies happen in random places, they don't close roads forever because of a fatal car wreck. On the same note those bodies are delivered to a cemetary, not out of some archaic "respect for the dead",but out of respect for the love and memories of the living. I will never say that a 4"x4"x5" hole is graverobbing, it's not, I will also never condemn anyone for MDing in a cemetary(I have an 1895 IH that I have no intention of re-burying from one), but I will say that it is definately something I will steer further and further from as I learn more about this hobby. The idea of 100+ yr. old soil looks good on paper, but the payoffs just don't seem worth it.

Incidentally, I do hunt FOR cemetaries, if you find one there is ALWAYS a town nearby, even if it's no longer on a map. They are also an amazing way to date an area.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oh no this old chestnut again............ ::)

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains
I have to say it depends. Doing it in the city in front of many peps might get a negative image for you. Then when you start asking for permission to do private yards it might come back to haunt you.

However if you are not on the graves and are in a secluded area I don't think it would be too much of a problem. Especially if you dig and cover good holes and take out all trash.

I have hunted the outlines of a few cemetaries. IF i have time I always try to walk around and pic up trash that others have drove by and thrown. Many times I have seen beer cans and junk etc around cemetaries. Long before I began MDing if I had time I would pick some of this up.

I do have a story to share with you that someone just told me about 30 minutes ago. I was with some non-metal detecting freinds and they asked me if I detected cemetaries, so I told em what I did as far as detecting cemetaries. Here in Kentucky there are many of them way up in the woods with no one around. Many don't have fences, so detecting the edges of the area can lead to markings of a long since gone house.

Anyways I was told that once while this guy was off surveying a property line they had to call in a person to detect for metal property markers. Part of a cemetary turned out to be within the bought property. Small family cemetary I was told.

Anyways this guy told me that the detector found a gold wedding band not too far from the graves. The ring had initials that matched the last name on one of the gravestones. A man that had died at age 32 - 35 friend could not remember. The guy who was detecting found out how to get in touch with this family.

As it turned out the woman was angry that her husband died so early and she had lots of bills and stress. She had thrown the wedding band. She had thrown it 25 years ago on a fall day with leaves all around. Later she went back for the ring and could never find it. She had been distraught for those 25 years for throwing that ring. Apparently the guy had met the daughter first and her mother had never forgiven herself for loosing her cool in a heated moment and doing that.

Perhaps some of us are creeped out by this detecting. But I have to admit I sure would love to be able to find something like that and bring peace to someone. I don't know how often something like this could happen, but I imagine it could happen some. I would say that atleast 98% of peps that have done this would have probably regretted it for the rest of thier lives.

I don't know for sure if his story is true. But I will say that as far as I know he has never BSed me before. That had to be the VERY best moment in that detectors life and in her life when the ring was reunited with her.

BS or not ...who knows? But it sure gave me a little different perspective on MDing the outskirts of graveyards. I would never disrespect the dead and stand on or detect directly on graves. I would not detect in cities.

I don't know what you think about this but I feel compelled to share this story. Especially since I just heard it, and BAM here is your post. Perhaps destiny to share this?

Postalrevnant

lucky1777

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2005
Illinois
Will Dig For Food, I guess I am one of those people who have "swung a coil across the land of the dead". ::) Yes I have found some nice coins at these sites. Do you know that before there were caretakers families would take care of the families sites. They would spend quite a bit of time at these sites cleaning. A lot of times they would have picnics in the clearings. Kids would play and drop things. I don't know why you detect but I am looking for items people dropped. I don't detect over any marked graves. I also purchased some land in Missouri that was a Battle Site. I hunt this site to find bullets, buttons and anything else I can find. I do this because I ENJOY HISTORY. I can not describe how I feel when I hold a button or bullet in my hand. For you to insinuate this is for greed is a slap in a lot of our faces. Maybe the next time you find a pocket spill, just think. The person could have collapsed from a heartattack and his coins fell to the ground and now you being greedy are picking up his belongings.

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Jeff,

you said:"Don't Lump Everything together with Grave Robbery, Or I'll Delete this Thread !
Metal Detecting and Grave Robbery are 2 Different Things."
O.K.
Lump everything together and its Grave Robbery. ;) ;D

Every time it comes up someones feelings get hurt.
We keep whipping the dead horse. Everyone hunt where you think it is
o.k.. Each and everyones own call. This type of thread has been posted
so often, and it never gets anywhere.
Just my 2 cent worth.

have a good un...................

lucky1777

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2005
Illinois
Lets try this one more time. Please read what I say before you start on your rants. I said I DONT DETECT OVER ANY MARKED GRAVES. Hunting the parking areas the roads the vacant areas are not going to cause any problems as long as you have permission. So please read what I said before you call me another name. I am not a buzzard. I enjoy my hobby and try to find new places all the time. If its a cemetery so be it.

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lucky,
I read your post before I posted. I did not disagree about the common areas. Children often play at cemeteries after the funeral, because, until 8 or 10 years old, or so, they have no TRUE concept of death. Therefore they continue as if nothing had happened. I am sorry. I did not call you a buzzard. Sounded to me as though it were a debate. Please excuse me if that implication was lost and another assumed it's identity. I in no way meant that you are a scavenging varmint.

HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread