Curb Hunting?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

That area is city owned, as far as I know. (albeit maintained/mowed by the homeowner). So if it's city-owned, then no permission needed. A bit of frickin discretion perhaps though, as ... well ..... you can't stop "connotations" from ensuing. I mean, go at low traffic times, don't stick out like a sore thumb, etc.... But as for "permission", technically none needed.

Hey Hey,

I've read a few threads about people hunting the grassy area between the sidewalk and the curb.

Who do you ask for permission to hunt these areas?

Thanks and HH!!
TGB

MADJOKER

Jun 25, 2011
Missouri City, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Ace 350
I would at least knock on the home owners door and let them know what you will be doing as a courtesy and inform them that it is city owned property but you just wanted to let them know you will detecting there and will clean your mess and fill your holes.

Who knows may even get you permission to hunt the rest of the property since you took the time to notify them of your intentions even though you did not have to.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

OP
OP
tallguybry

tallguybry

Jan 12, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Other
I would at least knock on the home owners door and let them know what you will be doing as a courtesy and inform them that it is city owned property but you just wanted to let them know you will detecting there and will clean your mess and fill your holes.

Who knows may even get you permission to hunt the rest of the property since you took the time to notify them of your intentions even though you did not have to.

Good idea!! Thanks!

H$H!!
TGB

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6

OR they might tell you that they do not want you digging in front of their house. Since that strip is city owned but (in most cases) maintained by the home owner, it is better to detect early in the day when no one will be out and about. Less chance of having an encounter with the home owner. I have seen homeowners out doing yard work and asked if they would mind if i detected the grassy area in front of their house, but I have never knocked on a door to ask permission to hunt the city owned area. What ever you feel comfortable with is up to you.

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go in the early am when most people are in bed. Never had a problem just people Staring at me.

Dixiegal

Jul 8, 2012
GA
Detector(s) used
White 808, White Sierra Made, pulse induction, LRL
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I would just do it. Probably nobody will even ask you about it.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OR they might tell you that they do not want you digging in front of their house. Since that strip is city owned but (in most cases) maintained by the home owner, it is better to detect early in the day when no one will be out and about. Less chance of having an encounter with the home owner. I have seen homeowners out doing yard work and asked if they would mind if i detected the grassy area in front of their house, but I have never knocked on a door to ask permission to hunt the city owned area. What ever you feel comfortable with is up to you.

I can tell you that the majority of people think they own they area. They also maintain it, some quite well thank you.

I always ask, except when there is curb work being done and it's a mess anyway.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The problem with asking is that you will get more no's than yes'es. If you just hunt without asking (since in most places you legally can) most homeowners won't bother to confront you to tell you no. The ones that do, just smile, tell them to have a good day, and move on to the next block. Most of the well maintained parking strips don't have anything good in them anyway, from my experience. They've been resodded and/or completely relandscaped where all the good stuff has either been hauled away or buried deeper than you can reach.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Another option to consider is to hunt those strips adjacent to public schools, parks and sport fields....they'd be less of an issue with nearby residents.

Regards + HH

Bill

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread