Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By maipenrai
  • 1 Post By MADJOKER
  • 1 Post By tallguybry
  • 1 Post By Ray S ECenFL
  • 1 Post By xlthunter

Thread: Curb Hunting?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2012
    Indiana
    Garrett Ace 350
    180 times
    Coin Roll Hunting, Metal Detecting, Gold Prospecting and Yard Sale Hopping!!

Curb Hunting?

Hey Hey,

I've read a few threads about people hunting the grassy area between the sidewalk and the curb.

Who do you ask for permission to hunt these areas?

Thanks and HH!!
    TGB
    2014 CRH Half Dollar Totals
    Updated 1/1/14

Skunks: 0 - Keepers: 0 - Total Searched: 0

90%
    Barber: 0 - Walkers: 0 - Bens: 0 - Kens: 0

40%
    Kens: 0 - 1776-1976: 0

Best Metal Detecting Find for 2014
    None, yet.

Best Garage Sale Find for 2014
    None, yet.

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    1820 times
    Banner Finds (3)

That area is city owned, as far as I know. (albeit maintained/mowed by the homeowner). So if it's city-owned, then no permission needed. A bit of frickin discretion perhaps though, as ... well ..... you can't stop "connotations" from ensuing. I mean, go at low traffic times, don't stick out like a sore thumb, etc.... But as for "permission", technically none needed.

Quote Originally Posted by tallguybry View Post
    Hey Hey,

I've read a few threads about people hunting the grassy area between the sidewalk and the curb.

Who do you ask for permission to hunt these areas?

Thanks and HH!!
    TGB
    Metal detecting is my one worldy vice!

th
    Nov 2010
    Thailand/Europe/California
    Excalibur 2 1000
    131 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    That is an area where the yellow vest and hard hat may come in handy!
    rustyman9791 likes this.

us
    Jun 2011
    Missouri City, TX
    Garrett Ace 350
    33 times
    I would at least knock on the home owners door and let them know what you will be doing as a courtesy and inform them that it is city owned property but you just wanted to let them know you will detecting there and will clean your mess and fill your holes.

Who knows may even get you permission to hunt the rest of the property since you took the time to notify them of your intentions even though you did not have to.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet
    Bum Luck likes this.

Mark Rodriguez
    Garrett ACE 350
    Garrett Pro Pointer

Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2012
    Indiana
    Garrett Ace 350
    180 times
    Coin Roll Hunting, Metal Detecting, Gold Prospecting and Yard Sale Hopping!!
    Quote Originally Posted by MADJOKER View Post
    I would at least knock on the home owners door and let them know what you will be doing as a courtesy and inform them that it is city owned property but you just wanted to let them know you will detecting there and will clean your mess and fill your holes.

Who knows may even get you permission to hunt the rest of the property since you took the time to notify them of your intentions even though you did not have to.

Good idea!! Thanks!

H$H!!
    TGB
    PaulInNJ likes this.
    2014 CRH Half Dollar Totals
    Updated 1/1/14

Skunks: 0 - Keepers: 0 - Total Searched: 0

90%
    Barber: 0 - Walkers: 0 - Bens: 0 - Kens: 0

40%
    Kens: 0 - 1776-1976: 0

Best Metal Detecting Find for 2014
    None, yet.

Best Garage Sale Find for 2014
    None, yet.

us
    Feb 2007
    East Central Florida WP
    Whites XLT / M6
    10 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MADJOKER View Post

OR they might tell you that they do not want you digging in front of their house. Since that strip is city owned but (in most cases) maintained by the home owner, it is better to detect early in the day when no one will be out and about. Less chance of having an encounter with the home owner. I have seen homeowners out doing yard work and asked if they would mind if i detected the grassy area in front of their house, but I have never knocked on a door to ask permission to hunt the city owned area. What ever you feel comfortable with is up to you.
    PaulInNJ likes this.
    Ray S ECenFL
    Wolf Pack Member

us
    English

Nov 2005
    Western, NY
    Whites XLT E-Series
    1 times
    I like the yellow vest and hard hat idea!!!!
    rustyman9791 likes this.

us
    Jan 2012
    Garrett Ace250 Minelab Safari
    386 times
    Go in the early am when most people are in bed. Never had a problem just people Staring at me.

us
    Jul 2012
    GA
    White 808, White Sierra Made, pulse induction, LRL
    58 times
    Cache Hunting
    I would just do it. Probably nobody will even ask you about it.

us
    May 2008
    Wisconsin
    GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
    580 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray S ECenFL View Post
    OR they might tell you that they do not want you digging in front of their house. Since that strip is city owned but (in most cases) maintained by the home owner, it is better to detect early in the day when no one will be out and about. Less chance of having an encounter with the home owner. I have seen homeowners out doing yard work and asked if they would mind if i detected the grassy area in front of their house, but I have never knocked on a door to ask permission to hunt the city owned area. What ever you feel comfortable with is up to you.
    I can tell you that the majority of people think they own they area. They also maintain it, some quite well thank you.

I always ask, except when there is curb work being done and it's a mess anyway.
    "A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." Friedrich Nietzsche

"You ask where I live. I cannot tell you. I am a Voyageur, a Chicot, sir. I live everywhere. My grandfather was a voyageur; he died while on a voyage. My father was a voyageur; he died while on a voyage. I will also die while en route, and another Chicot will take my place. Such is our course of life."

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Treasure Probe IV, Minelab E-Trac. White's 6000 Di Pro SL. White's Eagle ll SL90, Minelab Excalibur, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, TinyTec, AutoScan, UniProbe, 15" WOT, 5X10 Joey, Stea
    1259 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    The problem with asking is that you will get more no's than yes'es. If you just hunt without asking (since in most places you legally can) most homeowners won't bother to confront you to tell you no. The ones that do, just smile, tell them to have a good day, and move on to the next block. Most of the well maintained parking strips don't have anything good in them anyway, from my experience. They've been resodded and/or completely relandscaped where all the good stuff has either been hauled away or buried deeper than you can reach.

ca
    Oct 2011
    Quebec
    2267 times
    Metal Detecting
    Another option to consider is to hunt those strips adjacent to public schools, parks and sport fields....they'd be less of an issue with nearby residents.

Regards + HH

Bill

Sponsors