Any Specifics on Tennessee State law on Metal Detecting?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Do you mean specifically on state land? (because you ask for "state" law). Or just generally, in the state itself at various places?

Because there is multiple levels of land in TN. Fed. owned, state owned, county owned, city owned, and privately owned. And even within each level of govt. ownership, there are often sub-layers of types too. For example, not all federal land is the same. The interstates roads right-of-ways, may have different use rules than the fed. parks. Or on the state level, state parks dept, may be different than the state parking lot of the state-owned motor vehicle dept. parking lot (example: they allow camping at a state park, but no .. you can't camp in the motor vehicle parking lot, even though both are 'state-owned'). And same for city rules: The city parks may have a rule "park closes at sunset", but ..... such a rule does not apply to city streets, where ..... yes you can walk down the city-owned sidewalk "after sunset".

So you need to be specific on your question. Where were you wanting to hunt?

OP
OP
Tenn treasure hunter
Oct 12, 2012
Hendersonville TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Teknetics Alpha
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well sorry for the delay in checking back. Everything really... very new and dont want to get in any trouble. If you know what I mean.... I mostly have been doing people property with permission.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
....Everything really....

Tenn, that's much too broad of a question, to say "everything". Because there are multiple levels of govt. land. And even WITHIN each entity (state, or fed, or county, or city), there are even THERE going to be various types within each category. For example: city parks may not allow dogs, yet city sidewalks may allow you to walk your dog down the street. Or county parks may "close at sunset", yet on a county road, you may be able to waltz down the sidewalk along that county road after sunset, without being "afoul" of this "closed at sunset" clause (because one rule dealt with parks, while the other was just road-right-of-way).

So for someone to simply say "all federal land is off-limits", or "all state land is off-limits" or "all city or county land ...", well, you get the picture; it's not true.

And once you get down to county and city level "rules", well go figure, the state of TN has oodles of various counties, and hundreds upon hundreds of cities, I suppose. So to answer "everything", is much to broad of a question. You'd have to say specifically which city or county, and even then-so, which type land within that organization. Ie.: a school? a beach? a park? a road right-of-way? an emminent domain vacant lot repossesed by the county for lack of tax-payment? etc.. etc... etc....

That's why I asked, in my original answer, where/what you meant.

Forgetting for the moment fed and state, and focussing just, instead, on city and county level parks (or whatever types land they manage within their jurisdiction): There is RARELY ever anything specific saying "no metal detectors", at any city or county level anywhere. Once in a great while, you'll read of some city or county having some sort of a rule, or some sort of a permit. But those are the exceptions. Perhaps a bigger metropolis, or some sort of county with oodles of sensitive historic monuments. But 99% of the time, local codes, laws, & rules are simply silent on the issue (dont' say anything, either way). Thus as long as you're not being a nuisance, sticking out, begging for attention, leaving holes (or lacking the discretion to go at low traffic times to avoid such lookie-lous), then usually you won't have any problems.

To know whether your county or city has any such specific rules, saying "no metal detecting", it's a simple matter of looking it up! (not asking someone "can I?"). The city or county codes are available for public viewing somewhere. Like down at city or county hall on the front counter for public to view. Or if they have a web-site, the park dept's rules will usually have a sub-section detailing the codes, laws, etc... Eg.: no camping, fires in pits only, no off-roading, closes at sunset, etc.... If you see nothing saying "no metal detectors", then presto, it must not be prohibited :hello: The worst that can happen then, is if someone "has an issue", they're welcome to tell you. Then give lip service and move on. You can tell them you looked it up, and saw no prohibitions. And no, I do not consider verbage about "defacement" "alterations" and so forth to apply to us/me. Because all such wording inherently applies to the ENDresult, right? Ie.: if you leave the area exactly as you found it, with no trace of your retrieving, then presto, you have not "defaced", or "altered" anything, now have you? Sure someone can argue semantics about the temporary evil process of extraction if they want. That's why I say to pick low traffic times, and not be waltzing over beach blankets at an archie convention. I've even gotten to where I hunt parks, schools, etc.... at odd/off hours: early AM's before 8am, after dark, on holidays before noon when everyone's still sleeping in, and no park or city staff is working d/t skeleton crews on holidays, etc..... So peaceful, so serene :)

I have things to say about the fed, and state level too, as it pertains to your question. But for now, start with this, and let us know if you have any more questions.

Last edited:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will look that over! Thank you so much for the help and quick response.

Check you area for a club. Also every county in Tennessee had a skirmage or battle on it. The civil War Atlas is a great book to start with as it gives you all the maps. TVA land is a no no. as are water ways. But not farms along those areas. Plenty of private land though to hunt with permission. Just be honest with landowners. Google is your best research tool.
Good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread