SPOKE WITH A COUNTY DEPUTY IN CLAY COUNTY, FL

NavyRet98

Dec 27, 2012
Middleburg, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I was MD'ing a field near a site where a southern mansion once stood, a county sheriff's deputy pulled up. He asked if I was having any luck and I reponded by showing him the pieces of aluminum cans, belt buckle and rusted toy truck I had found so far. He said I would have better luck over closer to the mansion site.

I asked him about a couple of spots where the houses were collapsed due to age and if there was any problems MD'ing the site or taking pictures. He stated that as long as there were no posted signs or fences to crawl over, it should be alright. He further stated that if an owner has problems with people being on his land, they will let you know.

The way I look at it, if I'm not standing in my own yard, I'm ALWAYS on someone elses property. With a detector, I'm just cleaning the place up as well.

comfortably numb

Mar 31, 2010
Crystal River, Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II,
MPX,fisher 1280x
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I was MD'ing a field near a site where a southern mansion once stood, a county sheriff's deputy pulled up. He asked if I was having any luck and I reponded by showing him the pieces of aluminum cans, belt buckle and rusted toy truck I had found so far. He said I would have better luck over closer to the mansion site.

I asked him about a couple of spots where the houses were collapsed due to age and if there was any problems MD'ing the site or taking pictures. He stated that as long as there were no posted signs or fences to crawl over, it should be alright. He further stated that if an owner has problems with people being on his land, they will let you know.

The way I look at it, if I'm not standing in my own yard, I'm ALWAYS on someone elses property. With a detector, I'm just cleaning the place up as well.

My 4th grandfather had a plantation in your area around 1820's on the south shore of black creek. Not sure exactly where, his name was Capt. Gabriel Priest He was elected to the Fl. senate in 1845. If you ever find it let me know I would love to meet up with you and hunt it.

LinkHylian

Dec 21, 2012
WA State
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro + ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Glad that you got some Law Enforcment support. I'm sure he was happy that you were picking up trash, deff some extra points granted your way for that.
Technically both of you are "cleaning up the city" btw, nice job Officer Flynn haha;).

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Navy-ret, That is exactly what I've been saying for years on the forum. When the subject comes up of whether or not we have to grovel somewhere to "get permission" to hit a park, or vacant lot, or whatever. That sheriff you talked to is right: If there's no fences, and no signs, (and not an obviously protected historic monument type spot), then I agree: go. In the case of abandoned derelict lots you describe, if some owner has an "issue", they're MORE THAN WELCOME to come appraise you. But if he's failed to put up signage or a fence, then the most he can do is alert you, IMHO..

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Navy-ret, That is exactly what I've been saying for years on the forum. When the subject comes up of whether or not we have to grovel somewhere to "get permission" to hit a park, or vacant lot, or whatever. That sheriff you talked to is right: If there's no fences, and no signs, (and not an obviously protected historic monument type spot), then I agree: go. In the case of abandoned derelict lots you describe, if some owner has an "issue", they're MORE THAN WELCOME to come appraise you. But if he's failed to put up signage or a fence, then the most he can do is alert you, IMHO..

Trespass law varies from state to state. Some require posting, and some do not.

If it doesn't require posting, then you ARE trespassing.

The deputy may have had his own reasons for not asking you if you had permission, but it just may have been luck that he didn't.

Buzzlitebeer

Dec 29, 2012
NE FL
Detector(s) used
F4/Excal 2/NOX 800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
My 4th grandfather had a plantation in your area around 1820's on the south shore of black creek. Not sure exactly where, his name was Capt. Gabriel Priest He was elected to the Fl. senate in 1845. If you ever find it let me know I would love to meet up with you and hunt it.

Navy!! I retired from JAX in 07. I live on the west side and could use someone to use the buddy system for some that are a little seedy. I also have a great spot that I just got permission to hunt when they move the BULLS out of the field. I dont need to try and outrun a bull.:tongue3:

Buzzlitebeer

Dec 29, 2012
NE FL
Detector(s) used
F4/Excal 2/NOX 800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thats nice to know. Good luck hunting :thumbsup:

I really like the research part of this hobby.

1833 Florida Territorial Map 1833

township 5, range 24 S&E territorial map with detiled inscritions of land owners george Branning, Smith, Benjamin Frisbee,Isaac Varnes, James J Thomas, Glinski, Elijah Blithc, Buddington, John R Zetrouery, James Reid, Jr., Thomas Witherspoon,, Mathews, John Koontz, Gabriel Priest, James Odom, Henry Adamson, Conrad deppish, Mathew Phillips, by Paul McCormick, Deputy Surveyor, Isaac Varnes, JG Blitch, James N Lee, Seaborn J Stringer [Source: CCA101761 in Maps (copy)]

Clay County Historical Archives :: Ghosts for the map links.

It appears that it lies South across the creek from doctors Inlet.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread