No more metal detecting NC state park beaches!

2mtech

Feb 16, 2013
Eastern NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Eager to finally get my new X-Terra 705 bloodied, the girlfriend and I decided to head to our coast today and do some beach hunting. As much research as I could turn up here and on other sites was that NC state park beaches near Fort Fisher and Fort Macon were legal for metal detecting during the non-summer months (1 October to 1 June). Fort Macon beach is one of our usual haunts anyway so that's where we went.

We hadn't been on the sand half an hour when Mr. Ranger came by, parked, and walked up to us. Although he was polite about it, he asked if we knew we were in a state park. I told him what I had learned about the winter months. His reply was that, as of this year, that was no longer true, and there was no metal detecting allowed in any NC state park ever...period. He told us we were more than welcome to head south down the beach beyond the park boundary, but that everything north on the island was now permanently off limits. Then he asked if we had found any Civil War era items, which he obviously would've confiscated had we had any and had I replied in the affirmative. Then he walked a little further to harass an older couple who was also MDing.

Our tax dollars at work...I was so proud :BangHead:

fishy49

Greenie
Nov 24, 2004
macon, ga
Detector(s) used
whites 6000D, Whites Classic 4,
Same thing here in Georgia. NO MD in state parks. Also look for more and more laws in the USA to "protect" History".
What a joke. Makes me proud to be in the land of the free. Ok, Rant over.8-):angel3:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You MUST know the laws in your County and State. If that Ranger's wife had cheated on him last night, you might have had your machine confiscated and be left holding a multi-hundred dollar ticket. Bad ju-ju indeed. Glad you were able to move down the beach and the Ranger realized you were a newbie. :icon_thumright:

donb0078

Feb 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
atm, whites sl II classic
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, all....this is really getting depressing. all the public lands are under siege wether it be bureau of land managment, EPA, DNR and the list goes on. Their more open to horseback, walking trails. not much for prospecting example your allowed for "now" to search for gold in national parks all your allowed is a pan and #2 shovel I mean really?? Not even a hand sluice spring flooding does more for soil erosion than a person with a hand sluice.I found that out last year in N Carolina. The only group of people fighting for continued land use that I know of is the gpaa and then theirs individuals but we get ran over all the time. I can understand a landowner getting mad at you for trespassing...I have 80+ acres in KY and I can't stop people from running over it, it happens on a regular basis so I just have to deal with it but public lands that tax dollars pay for?? That alone should provide a buffer zone of some sort. To speak of private land owners (sigh) I went to Texas last year with some stops on the way...to hunt for the elusive blue topaz (their state gemsotne) they have down there. I drove about 5.5hrs from Dallas where I had business, to a private property that the landowner would allow me to hunt there. When i got to his house the yard was a mess looked like a dump zone and i didn't want to trespass so I stopped at one of his neighbors houses about .25mi away to find out what was going on, she told me that he had passed away less than a year ago and his son sold it to a sand and gravel pit (absolutely NO TRESPASSING) to my dismay I aimlessly drove around looking for the particualr rock that it forms in hoping to find some roadside property to do a search. Theres only about 15mi of land in the whole state to find this gemstone one place is a pay to dig at an old Tiffanys mine that if it had any real value they'd still own it. I had all my eggs in that one basket because I didn't know any of the property owners and most had their land posted if i could even see a house on the property there pretty spread out down there...I think i will start a new thread on this topic people its not just guns their after. The little guy doesn't stand much of a chance these days between uptight land owners and public lands restrictions. I'm going to basically repost this statemnt in the next couple days on a new thread....If we don't stand up for our own rights who will...oh yea should a landowner give you permission to do some hunting on their land PLEASE be mindful of their land, respect it and others will be allowed to enjoy some fresh air there just like you got too
Thanks , Don

LinkHylian

Dec 21, 2012
WA State
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro + ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
In WA State, they have the SMALLEST sections in each state park that you are allowed to Metal Detect. I swear they allow around like 3 benches in each state park and that's about it.

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As I have stated in other threads, In my area in Michigan one State Park ,over 600 acres, camp ground, Lake Huron beach,play ground, Day use area, for non-campers,pic-nic area, and a welcome metal detectors on their web site! Another close by, offers MDing, but in restricted areas. Some in Mich. no metal detecting

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately due to the recent metal detecting "reality" shows that portray us as greedy money-hungry opportunists, I am afraid this is a harbinger of what is in store for our hobby more and more.

nickeltabs

Feb 2, 2013
West Michigan, Holland
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Garrett AT Pro
1 Garrett Pro Pointer
1 Lesche Trowel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DNR - Metal Detecting in State Parks

Metal Detecting in State Parks

Metal detecting is recognized as a legitimate recreation activity when it is conducted in ways that do not damage the natural and cultural resources in Michigan State Parks nor violate applicable state statues. Any items found must be reviewed by park staff and may be retained for further investigation.

Entire park open:

Brimley State Park
Grand Haven State Park
Lakeport State Park
Mears State Park
Traverse City State Park

Parks with designated areas (maps are provided on the linking pages):

Algonac State Park
Aloha State Park
Bald Mountain Recreation Area
Baraga State Park
Bay City State Park
Bewabic State Park
Brighton Recreation Area
Cheboygan State Park
Clear Lake State Park
Craig Lake State Park
Duck Lake State Park
Grand Mere State Park
Harrisville State Park
Hartwick Pines State Park
Hayes State Park
Highland Recreation Area
Hoeft State Park
Hoffmaster State Park
Holland State Park
Holly Recreation Area
Indian Lake State Park
Ionia Recreation Area
Island Lake Recreation Area
Lake Gogebic State Park
Lake Hudson Recreation Area
Ludington State Park
Metamora-Hadley Recreation Area
Mitchell State Park
Muskegon State Park
Negwegon State Park
Orchard Beach State Park
Ortonville Recreation Area
Otsego Lake State Park
Petoskey State Park
Pinckney Recreation Area
Pontiac Lake Recreation Area
Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park
Proud Lake Recreation Area
Rifle River Recreation Area
Saugatuck Dunes State Park
Seven Lakes State Park
Silver Lake State Park
Sleeper State Park
Sleepy Hollow State Park
South Higgins Lake State Park
Sterling State Park
Tawas Point State Park
Twin Lakes State Park
Van Buren State Park
Van Riper State Park
Warren Dunes State Park
Waterloo Recreation Area
Wilderness State Park
Wilson State Park
Yankee Springs Recreation Area
Young State Park

Parks closed to metal detecting:

Agate Falls Scenic Site
Bass River Recreation Area
Bond Falls Scenic Site
Burt Lake State Park
Cambridge Junction Historic State Park
Coldwater Lake State Park
Dodge #4 State Park
Father Marquette Memorial Scenic Site
Fayette Historic State Park
Fisherman's Island State Park
Fort Custer Recreation Area
Fort Wilkins Historic State Park
Hart-Montague Trail State Park
Interlochen State Park
Kal-Haven Trail State Park
Lakelands Trail State Park
Laughing Whitefish Falls Scenic Site
Leelanau State Park
Maybury State Park
Meridian-Baseline State Park
McLain State Park
Muskallonge Lake State Park
Newago State Park
North Higgins Lake State Park
Onaway State Park
Palms Book State Park
Port Crescent State Park
Sanilac Petroglyphs Historic State Park
Straits State Park
Sturgeon Point Scenic Site
Tahquamenon Falls State Park
Thompson's Harbor State Park
Van Buren Trail State Park
Wagner Falls Scenic Site
Warren Woods State Park
William G. Milliken State Park and Harbor
Wells State Park
Wetzel State Recreation Area
Fred Meijer White Pine Trail State Park

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Nickeltabs: "any items found must be reviewed by park staff?". Tell me that's not serious, haha

wvwildman

Silver Member
Jan 3, 2013
fayette county wv
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, 5X8 DD, white's coin master pro, 4X6 DD, garrett propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
well darn i was gonna go looking for black beards gold oh well

Joe hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2013
Up state NY
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In NY it is plainly stated upheld that all gold found is the property ofNY even on your own land

This state is tough if there's a law we got it when Feds make new laws they don't faze us our laws are already harsher

Last edited:

Takelababy

Mar 3, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Altho not in the US, don't these people realize how much trash treasure hunters pick up and dispose of properly? We went to a local beach and except for the odd coin, we picked up half a 5 gal pail of pull tabs, barely hidden in the sand. I wonder what they do to bare feet. Since the water was low we headed way out and again barely under the sand was an old very rusty swede saw blade about 30" long, in what was part of the usual swimming area.

OP
OP
2mtech

2mtech

Feb 16, 2013
Eastern NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Altho not in the US, don't these people realize how much trash treasure hunters pick up and dispose of properly? We went to a local beach and except for the odd coin, we picked up half a 5 gal pail of pull tabs, barely hidden in the sand. I wonder what they do to bare feet. Since the water was low we headed way out and again barely under the sand was an old very rusty swede saw blade about 30" long, in what was part of the usual swimming area.

Stepped on a pop top...blew out my flip flop...cut my heel, had to cruise on back home...

Seriously, I don't think they "think" at all. thrillathahunt pretty much summed it up with our image now thanks to TV persona. Not so much "Diggers" but the Savage family certainly hasn't had any beneficial fallout for real hobbyists.

pb-to-au

Greenie
Mar 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No one but us sees the Diggers show as total staged scam. Really, $600 bucks for an old rusty saw or some such garbage? Only a Progressive MSNBC Troll cityslicker or Super Democrat would believe we need more rules to regulate Progressive Fairy Tales. Even a fish can't get caught if he keeps his mouth shut.

bigben1973

Greenie
Jul 16, 2011
newark,delaware
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster
Its not the shows that are making our hobby harder and harder to enjoy(although it doesnt help much),but rather Its the world itself.As our ecomony gets worse,more and more people are desperate for money.Gold,Silver,Copper,Brass,Tin even cast iron is in high demand.And since mding has been around for awhile now,people around us esp. in the US are getting wise to the idea that they can metal detect their own ground or somewhere else without caring for property or the environment.State parks and beaches are prime targets and are the first place they hit,so rangers or state officers that patrol those areas cant or wont tell if you are a honest guy enjoying the mding hobby or a greedy person that is destroying land just to make a FREE buck.

Its extremely hard for the average metal detector hobbist to handover their finds that took along time to get from the ground-we are all guilty of lying to rangers or state workers that ask us for any finds from state beaches or parks that was taken illegally(esp. if we had no knowledge of it).But unfortunely as time goes on,the average metal detectors that loves this hobby is going to find more and more places closed off to him due to the ecomony or the rush of too many people destroying land or property over possible treasure in the ground.Look,everyone knows about metal detecting machines,its no secret and spots to detect and dig on.But when too many people starts to rush into the hobby just because they need money to survive,then thats when we as metal detecting hobbists are going to start looking for a new hobby :(

So how do we have fun with our hobby?Number ONE:Get to know the person that owns land first where you want to md and get it in writing that you are going to md on such and such day and time-dont close it on one day,have it open for days or weeks.Also have him/her sign it so when you are mding either on their land or private beach/property you will be covered esp if someone comes up to you and says "you cant md here"-you just pull that sign article and show them..lol-then watch them turn colors in shame..lol lol.State parks and beaches are just too risky to md anymore-i know most dont want to here that but most on these postings have complained about that-why run the risk of getting caught and then having them marking you?I'll give you an example:
I had a friend that loved to mding on some of NJ state owned beaches-they knew him from run-ins in the field.One day,he crossed over onto a wild-life reserved area and was told not to md on it.He complained ofcourse but obeyed,somewhat..lol.One week later,he got a knock on the door:it was two state police officers and town councilman from that area.Apparently,someone had gone onto that wild-life beach and destroyed the area,left several dozen holes all around on the beach.To make matters worse,some of the wild-life also was found dead due to the holes that were made.Since the ranger could only remember my friend since he seemed to be the last one on that side of the beach-they charged him and got a court-ordered warrent for his house.They found several recent finds with sand on them and took them from him.To make a long story short,three weeks went by,and the ranger caught the real voliator that was responble for the bad deed.My friend was let go but his finds got "lost" somehow.The charges were dropped but never cleared from his record(hes still fighting for his name cleared).As a result,hes not allowed on any state parks or beaches anymore-its very unfair but its hard to fight a court-order document unless you know somebody or are a lawyer..lol
But as you can see that one careless person ruined it for everyone else-so you never know if that beach or park that you want to md doesnt allow you on it didnt have a bad experience connected to it that caused them to act like that-
food for thought :)

bigben1973

Greenie
Jul 16, 2011
newark,delaware
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster
One quick note:my friend was in virgina during the time when the officals claimed he was on that state-owned wild-life beach.The relics or finds had sand on it but was a different color and feel, since they came from a beach on a lake in virgina..lol.But you know the law doesnt or cant figure that out til its too late or after the fact..lol.The person,btw,that they caught was a local looking for gold and silver coins to turn into money(he had a gambling problem and needed money).According to my friend,he(the person charged with the actual crime) had several thousand dollars worth of coins when they arrested him.Apparently,that side of the beach never was md on,it been a wild-life protected beach ever since 1959.Its not worth going to jail over it however now the beach is fenced off and patrolled on a daily basis..lol

OP
OP
2mtech

2mtech

Feb 16, 2013
Eastern NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Its not the shows that are making our hobby harder and harder to enjoy(although it doesnt help much),but rather Its the world itself.As our ecomony gets worse,more and more people are desperate for money.Gold,Silver,Copper,Brass,Tin even cast iron is in high demand.And since mding has been around for awhile now,people around us esp. in the US are getting wise to the idea that they can metal detect their own ground or somewhere else without caring for property or the environment.State parks and beaches are prime targets and are the first place they hit,so rangers or state officers that patrol those areas cant or wont tell if you are a honest guy enjoying the mding hobby or a greedy person that is destroying land just to make a FREE buck.

Its extremely hard for the average metal detector hobbist to handover their finds that took along time to get from the ground-we are all guilty of lying to rangers or state workers that ask us for any finds from state beaches or parks that was taken illegally(esp. if we had no knowledge of it).But unfortunely as time goes on,the average metal detectors that loves this hobby is going to find more and more places closed off to him due to the ecomony or the rush of too many people destroying land or property over possible treasure in the ground.Look,everyone knows about metal detecting machines,its no secret and spots to detect and dig on.But when too many people starts to rush into the hobby just because they need money to survive,then thats when we as metal detecting hobbists are going to start looking for a new hobby :(

So how do we have fun with our hobby?Number ONE:Get to know the person that owns land first where you want to md and get it in writing that you are going to md on such and such day and time-dont close it on one day,have it open for days or weeks.Also have him/her sign it so when you are mding either on their land or private beach/property you will be covered esp if someone comes up to you and says "you cant md here"-you just pull that sign article and show them..lol-then watch them turn colors in shame..lol lol.State parks and beaches are just too risky to md anymore-i know most dont want to here that but most on these postings have complained about that-why run the risk of getting caught and then having them marking you?I'll give you an example:
I had a friend that loved to mding on some of NJ state owned beaches-they knew him from run-ins in the field.One day,he crossed over onto a wild-life reserved area and was told not to md on it.He complained ofcourse but obeyed,somewhat..lol.One week later,he got a knock on the door:it was two state police officers and town councilman from that area.Apparently,someone had gone onto that wild-life beach and destroyed the area,left several dozen holes all around on the beach.To make matters worse,some of the wild-life also was found dead due to the holes that were made.Since the ranger could only remember my friend since he seemed to be the last one on that side of the beach-they charged him and got a court-ordered warrent for his house.They found several recent finds with sand on them and took them from him.To make a long story short,three weeks went by,and the ranger caught the real voliator that was responble for the bad deed.My friend was let go but his finds got "lost" somehow.The charges were dropped but never cleared from his record(hes still fighting for his name cleared).As a result,hes not allowed on any state parks or beaches anymore-its very unfair but its hard to fight a court-order document unless you know somebody or are a lawyer..lol
But as you can see that one careless person ruined it for everyone else-so you never know if that beach or park that you want to md doesnt allow you on it didnt have a bad experience connected to it that caused them to act like that-
food for thought :)

Very valid points. The longer I'm involved with this hobby the more I understand about the tarnished image of detectorists for so many by a few. Nearly all the landowners I've contacted around here (Civil War Central for this state) have either been contacted before and they're tired of people asking, so the originally present politeness has been replaced with "How many times do I have to tell you people NO?!", or they granted access to others in the past who did not respect the land or honor sharing agreements and it's not a "mistake" they would make again. Making friends with the landowners, offering services in exchange (farms always need more help), etc, seems to be called for. The only landowner who has gladly granted me hunting access is an older gentleman who was an arrowhead collector in his younger years. He, too, has felt the pain of consistently more restrictive legislation infringing on an activity he enjoyed, largely because of the misbehavior and greed of others.

It's not an isolated issue either...when I was first stationed here almost 20 years ago I had six great little ponds and an old river dam to fish within 15 minutes of me. Over the years, misuse, trashy people, druggies, and fear of liability resulted in the fishing spots being fenced off one by one, and the destruction of the dam. Now there is nowhere to fish closer than an hour and a half away. I blame it largely on poor parenting, the single most prevalent cause for the decay and deterioration of the moral fabric of this country. Everyone is offended by something, everyone is owed a living, everyone is important and special (read "deluded narcissist)...products of self-absorbed, discipline-free, disrespectful upbringing. [/rant], but I believe your friend may agree.

So once again, as with everything, it becomes incumbent upon those of us interested in preserving and maintaining something we enjoy doing by doing our best to offset and counter the misdeeds and poor image of those who see a quick buck. What else is new?

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have to get permission from the Park Supervisor and I have done this before with several state parks. I find 1 or 2 acres in the state park say where an old colonial or 19th century house site use to be and a part of the park the state park that had activity and I will write a report with maps,historical info,etc and then meet with the Park Supervisor in person and act professional and tell them I only want to hunt 1 or 2 acres of this one spot. 50% of the time they say yes 50% of the time they say no. State parks are NOT off limits you just need to ask permission from the Park Supervisor.. Lot of park rangers and archaeologist that work for the state can be buzz killers but there is always around things just gotta use some mental power.

Last edited:
OP
OP
2mtech

2mtech

Feb 16, 2013
Eastern NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You have to get permission from the Park Supervisor and I have done this before with several state parks. I find 1 or 2 acres in the state park say where an old colonial or 19th century house site use to be and a part of the park the state park that had activity and I will write a report with maps,historical info,etc and then meet with the Park Supervisor in person and act professional and tell them I only want to hunt 1 or 2 acres of this one spot. 50% of the time they say yes 50% of the time they say no. State parks are NOT off limits you just need to ask permission from the Park Supervisor.. Lot of park rangers and archaeologist that work for the state can be buzz killers but there is always around things just gotta use some mental power.

Might be worth checking out, thanks. I'm beginning to feel like an ugly chick though...can only take so much more rejection ;)

marz

Mar 27, 2013
South Texas
Detector(s) used
WHITES M-6 With eclipse 950 coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yep that show diggers is so staged metal detecting is about Uncovering Artifacts and history and to learn history not to make some quick cash
I think shows like Savage Family Diggers sends the worng message to the hobby u cant put a price on history

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread