PENNSYLVANIA

greywolf

Aug 26, 2007
Detector(s) used
Bounty HunterIV, Bounty Hunter QD II
With reference to Jeff in Pa. 's comment about the Game lands We covered this some time ago and after my letter to Rep. Keith McCall i received a letter from the Game commission that said just that...NO DIGGING OR REMOVAL OF ANY THING EXCEPT LEGAL GAME DURING THE PROPER SEASON W/PROPER LICENCE. If you find a quarter leave it because in the law they will take it back. :icon_study: :clock: Only time will tell if any change will be made but as of now that is it. If you are caught they can fine you and take your MD and car and search your home for other treasure. hmmmmm sounds like Russia.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
baspinall said:
As another note to this topic. I have been told that county parks are of limits around me. Southeast PA. Have others in PA been told the same thing?

So far We only have one County park in Schuylkill county.
Sweet arrow lake. & I have been Hammering that since late 99

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I find it hard to understand how ......... persons will come on-line saying they heard such & such place or parks doesn't allow metal detecting". Then they cite the text-lines that were given to them, when they went and asked. Most of the times, the lines do not mention metal detecting at all. Rather, they will say something "do not remove anything" or "don't disturb the vegetation", etc... Then it occurs to me: Of COURSE if you ask a desk-bound bureaucrat "can I metal detect at such & such place", their easy answer is "no" (because they envision geeks with shovels, and don't want to be bothered). My hunch is if you'd just gone, you probably could've detected till you were blue in the face, and never been noticed or bothered.

For example, I detect county parks here all the time, where I'm at, and ........ unless I was being obnoxious or leaving a mess, I'm not bothered. But who's to say, if I went high enough up the ladder of the chain-of-command at the county offices, I might find someone to tell me that detecting is not allowed? C'mon guys! Just relax! Just go, unless a sign specifically says otherwise. Just be discreet, don't leave any traces of your being there, go at off-times, etc.... Detecting is like nose-picking, you're ok, as long as your discreet. But if you ask enough people "can I pick my nose?" someone will tell you "no".

Nick in NEPA

Dec 28, 2006
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom_in_CA said:
I find it hard to understand how ......... persons will come on-line saying they heard such & such place or parks doesn't allow metal detecting". Then they cite the text-lines that were given to them, when they went and asked. Most of the times, the lines do not mention metal detecting at all. Rather, they will say something "do not remove anything" or "don't disturb the vegetation", etc... Then it occurs to me: Of COURSE if you ask a desk-bound bureaucrat "can I metal detect at such & such place", their easy answer is "no" (because they envision geeks with shovels, and don't want to be bothered). My hunch is if you'd just gone, you probably could've detected till you were blue in the face, and never been noticed or bothered.

For example, I detect county parks here all the time, where I'm at, and ........ unless I was being obnoxious or leaving a mess, I'm not bothered. But who's to say, if I went high enough up the ladder of the chain-of-command at the county offices, I might find someone to tell me that detecting is not allowed? C'mon guys! Just relax! Just go, unless a sign specifically says otherwise. Just be discreet, don't leave any traces of your being there, go at off-times, etc.... Detecting is like nose-picking, you're ok, as long as your discreet. But if you ask enough people "can I pick my nose?" someone will tell you "no".
Your last statement is basically the impression I got from a lawyer friend of mine. He said that, if the landowner makes it clear that he doesn't want you there, you don't REALLY need permission, but it's nice to get it anyway. Agreed?

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it's very simple.

IF You feel you must ask.

Ask if it is a "Public Park" or If the park is "Open to Public Use"

If they say yes.

Use the Park

FinderKeeper

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2007
Clearfield Pa. and Nova Scotia, Canada
Detector(s) used
Schonstedt sopt, GPL , 2 box, Dowsing Rods, Long Range Locators, Radar, Bounty Hunter & a lot more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After reading all of the post above I can say I had it all thrown at us. It is hard to get a true law on this from the state. I have had everything throw en at us from the state , DCNR, the Museum Comm. and the lawyers of the Commonwealth and we are still doing what we do. I now understand what they are afraid of and they are only doing what they have to do to make sure the good stuff ends up in the states hands. Think about it, The state owns the land so they own anything in , on and under it. and if we want to dig on anyones land we have to ask first.
We have several sites on DCNR land and we can not dig or we can go to jail , get a fine, or they will take everything and I mean everything. We tell them were we are checking out the land and we give them dates and time. They want us to post a $15,000 bond and if we use probes in the land they will be on site to make sure everything is done right or the bond will be gone. You can use a metal detector on DCNR land but no digging . If you think you found something great let them know and try to work things out. Sure this is a bitch but it is the only way to get a reward. If you dig or break the law in anyway you cannot get a reward and you will face the law.
We been doing this for over 5 years and we built up a trust with them, by now they know if we find something we will turn it over to them ( but never get anything back). If you find something worth lots of money you stand to make more money doing it by the law, than working with the black market and getting pennys on a dollar. Detectors and ground radar is OK but GPL are a no go.
I hope this helps.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Jeff-of-PA, not sure if you're still watching this thread or not, but here goes:

You say in your initial post on this thread, that md'rs must "stop in at the office" of each park, to alert them of your intention. I plugged in the website address you give for this, and clicked on "rules and regulations":

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/

Search as I may though, through this entire list of rules and regulations, I see nothing that says what you're saying. Nothing at all addressing md'ing, nothing saying to check in at each kiosk, etc... So where are you getting this info, if it's not even in their own list of rules? :dontknow:

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom_in_CA said:
Jeff-of-PA, not sure if you're still watching this thread or not, but here goes:

You say in your initial post on this thread, that md'rs must "stop in at the office" of each park, to alert them of your intention. I plugged in the website address you give for this, and clicked on "rules and regulations":

Search as I may though, through this entire list of rules and regulations, I see nothing that says what you're saying. Nothing at all addressing md'ing, nothing saying to check in at each kiosk, etc... So where are you getting this info, if it's not even in their own list of rules? :dontknow:

I'v read this Many years ago & Yes I even read it in their
Extensive explination of rules If i remember Right :tongue3:

i imagine it hasn't changed.

i will do a search & see if i can find it.
It wasn't on their main page,
from what I Remember it was on a link
on their main page.

Plus I'v read it Dozens of places over the years which
may explain my Confusion :D

P.B. and Dylan

Dec 9, 2008
Berks Co. PA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV & GC1023
I think the PA Game Commission is losing out big time on additional revenue. If your a hunter you must buy a hunting licence and are required to abide by the rules, this also allows you to hunt on state game lands. Why can't the same thing be done (on state game lands only) for metal detecting?

I know that I'm not the first person to come up with these suggestions but if I remember right the game commission has not been receptive to them.

I believe that this should be attempted again when the time is right. So the next time the game commission states that they are having financial problems we should petition them to raise money by selling metal detecting permits for state game lands. I believe that a professionally worded suggestion with enough signatures to the right person at the right time has a good chance to be accepted.
I would be more then happy to help with this since I believe this would be beneficial to both the game commission and metal detectorists. IANAL

Paul

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Jeff, Ok. Please post the link or text when you find it. I'm just curious.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Paul, this subject of "why not allow metal detecting to become a licensed thing, with per applicant charges etc...." issue has come up over the years on forums. The general consensus is that it's not a do-able idea.

1) For starters, unlike hunting game, or fishing, or other such hobbies, there just isn't the #'s to justify creating a bureaucracy for this. I mean, let's face it: we're in a pretty niche small hobby. And unless you've got #'s and resultant demand/need for an issue, it's hardly worth the government's time to regulate something so unique and small in adherents.

2) You and I probably WOULDN'T want our hobby regulated (which would naturally come with any permits). I mean, we're already in archie's cross-hairs as it is (who hate us with a passion). And since any state park's dept. has "cultural heritage" type archie's on staff or advisory positions, do you think for a minute they're going to allow it?

Therefore our hobby is a bit like nose-picking: You just do it discreetly, and no one notices or cares. But ask for sanction, and you just create headaches, un-wanted attention, etc....

P.B. and Dylan

Dec 9, 2008
Berks Co. PA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV & GC1023
I hear what your saying Tom. I would never want to see a fee or licence to metal detect. The state game lands is a bit of a different issue though, since it is purchased by the game commission and payed for by hunters the connection to buying a licence to metal detect on them is a simple one.

Although I am not a hunter I believe that the game commissions acquisitions and preservation of land is a big jewel in Pennsylvania's crown and a licence to metal detect on these lands may give them the ability to purchase more.

That being said you are probably right that the small amount of people in the hobby are not enough to generate a significant amount of income to make it a worth while endeavor for the game commission.

And I definitely agree with you about the unwanted attention. The government gets more then their fair share of money from me already and I don't want them interfearing in another part of my life.

Paul

Iceman142

Greenie
Dec 19, 2018
Eastern Penna
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter IV, Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DCNR rule and regs for metal detecting in state parks

https://www.dcnr.pa.gov/StateParks/RulesAndRegulations/MetalDetecting/Pages/default.aspx

Iceman142

Greenie
Dec 19, 2018
Eastern Penna
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter IV, Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My understanding it is up to each Parks Discretion.

However the LAW ITSELF States. IN PART:

Metal Detecting is NOT permitted where the activity would conflict with the facility in use.

within fenced in areas, of swimming pool complexes (state operated or Concession operated).

Metal detecting on beaches and in lake swimming areas within a reasonable distance of shore will be permitted

From the Tuesday AFTER LABOR DAY, to the SATURDAY PRIOR TO MEMORIAL DAY. unless posted otherwise.

During the summer session, metal detecting in beach and swimming areas will be at the discression of the park manager, based on HIS/HER Knowledge of the use and type of facility.

metal detecting in underwater areas will be permitted within a reasonable distance of shore, if it does not conflict with other activities, or have potential to cause damage to the facility.

https://www.dcnr.pa.gov/StateParks/RulesAndRegulations/MetalDetecting/Pages/default.aspx

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
This thread is over 8 yrs. old, if you count from the last post. And over 13 yrs. old, if you count from the first post. So now I'm not sure of the evolution of actual specific wording, in the said-location's text/wording evolution.

But I see from the latest link that .... yes ... it's at-least now specifically spelled out. And humorously ... it's allowed. Not disallowed. Albeit within certain rules and restrictions.

And I bet I can make a good guess as to why this ever came on anyone's radar there, as something that needed rules and guidelines, in the first place :(

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread