🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PA STATE GAME LANDS are not open to Metal Detecting

PAmike

Feb 20, 2005
Reynoldsville, PA
Jeff,

I don't want to sound contradicting in my first post, But could you please tell me where you got your info on state game lands. I searched through the laws pertaining to game lands and found nothing about metal detecting, panning, prospecting or treasure hunting in any way. I just want to get my regs straight before I go and get into trouble.

mike

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I posted it that way to Prevent telling someone to Go ahead & then have them get in trouble. 2 years ago the FMDAC distributed a letter from the Game Commission here in PA saying it was Legal. But after Contacting the Harrisburg Office & talking to a couple Gameland Officers, they said it was Illegal to Dig or Remove anything from gamelands except Game in season.? ? ? I think what it comes doen to is. If you ask the Local Gameland Officer & he Gives you Permission, he's not supposed to, but your then in the Clear, but If he says no, your not.? ? ?It's one of those places where CAUTION is advised.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
by the way MIKE. do not feel like you can't be Contridicting to this Issue. I POSTED IT, and absolutely welcome yours and anyone elses feedback. Contridicting or not. IF you heard different, I would definately like to know about it. and I'm shure other PA members want a Definate answer on this also.? ? WELCOME to the TreasureNet ; jeff

PAmike

Feb 20, 2005
Reynoldsville, PA
Thanks jeff, I just wanted to check. I personally know the PGC laws pretty well, having helped pass a new one in the past few years. I checked thier site and found nothing so I was a little confused but I am new to the THing. I will check with my local officers and go from there.

mike

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shure Thing Mike ; Definately, Keep us Informed of what you Find Out.

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona
PA Game Commission areas are posted with a list of rules. No digging or removing items. Now some of the areas are so far back in the forest you will not see others. I should know. When you can't find a pull tab in a five mile area you know you are back in there. There is a reason why lost treasure is lost. Even in Pa. there are remote areas with lost treasure. With research and footwork you can find these areas. Did I say LOTS of footwork.

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff,

It is nice to know PA is so open about metal detecting. Other states should follow there policies. After all detector users are only people out enjoying the land by pursuing a hobby.

CS110

Feb 12, 2005
Yep, good old PA, I use to live there and most of my relatives are there so I visit quite often. After reading this thread I emailed all the park people on the county and State level and with the exception of a couple of county parks, pretty much every park is fair game. You do have to get approval first from the appropriate office and some counties require you to check in and get a permit. I only wish Maryland was as accommodating. I'll be headed up to try my luck this week on my day off, now that we moved I'm not that far from the PA border.

Anyone who lives in PA, what luck have you had with the State Parks. Do the parks get hit pretty hard? Just curious so I know what to expect when I get up there.

drustino

Mar 11, 2005
Was at Ricketts Glen State Park in NE Pa. over the 4th. Was talking to a park ranger about detecting the beach, he said probably not in the summer, but check with the park manager, he'll probable let you after the swin season is over. He also said he had several inquiries about detecting & just told me this: One thing he did say he knows you can only use a screwdriver, no shove( I stepped in a hole on the beach about10" deep dug by a kid with his shovel playing in the sand, go figure ) & supposed to turn valuables in to the park office, except coins. This beach had to have about 2000 + people on it. Would have loved to get in to that early the next morn. I asked about coming back next mornin real early on the way out & told not during busy season, check back the end of summer. My personal thought is that either the park manager or rangers are also detectors and get it when the pickins are good, or they have buddies who they take care of first. Again, just my thought.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My understanding it is up to each Parks Discretion.

However the LAW ITSELF States. IN PART:

Metal Detecting is NOT permitted where the activity would conflict with the facility in use.

within fenced in areas, of swimming pool complexes (state operated or Concession operated).

Metal detecting on beaches and in lake swimming areas within a reasonable distance of shore will be permitted

From the Tuesday AFTER LABOR DAY, to the SATURDAY PRIOR TO MEMORIAL DAY. unless posted otherwise.

During the summer session, metal detecting in beach and swimming areas will be at the discression of the park manager, based on HIS/HER Knowledge of the use and type of facility.

metal detecting in underwater areas will be permitted within a reasonable distance of shore, if it does not conflict with other activities, or have potential to cause damage to the facility.

P

Parangjim

Thanks jeff,
I'm glad you posted that. I live in Virginia and you know the foolishness we're going through here. I think I need to plan a vacation to PA.
jim

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, No Problem Jim.

I can add More Here.

Too Much to Type all up at once, Being I hunt & Pek.

"Many State Recreation areas have the potential for the recovery of Valuable Historic Objects, State Recreation areas with this potential May have part or all of the area closed to metal detecting".

"Shovels,spades,garden trawels,and other similar tools may not be used to dig into or turn over ground areas that are COVERED BY turf, vegitation,shrubs,or trees. Permissable digging tools are screwdrivers,ice picks, and other similar narrow prong devices."

"Individuals who want to use a metal detector in a state recreation area, must receive prior approval from the appropriate park office and report items which are found and will be removed from the park. Items recovered become the PROPERTY OF THE FINDER, except for those of historical significance"

THE ABOVE GUIDELINES ONLY PERTAIN TO STATE PARK LANDS.

Persons should contact the PA GAME COMMISSION
PA FISH & BOAT COMMISSION
and/or the D.E.R. BUREAU OF FORESTRY

For Guidelines applicable to their lands.

;D in addition, ;D Persons should Consult the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission, when they are seeking to find Historical artifacts ;D
The Commission has Legal Responsability under the :P HISTORIC PRESERVATION ACT (#253 of 1978)

M

maxgavin761nepa

thank you jeff that is everything i needed to know im a newbie to metal detecting and i was just curious about the local laws im in the lehighton area and i was just confused about the laws
again thank you

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info Jeff, I was wondering about PA state parks & land. I had also heard that State Game Lands were pretty well off-limits to detecting, though I guess the district office would have some discretion.

I sometimes metal detect down in the NJSSR, but that place has gotten bad of late. I have also heard Virginia is pretty bad, which is weird, because I never figured that to be one of "those" states... NJ / NY / MA / CT / MD / CA.

F

ferrouser

One official says not in the summer, but ask and maybe you can get permission from someone [else] after....
That's not the way laws are to be enforced in a haphazard manner at the discression of some local potentate who is intent on abusing his power.
Does anyone know the laws?

jocap

Mar 8, 2007
NV
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
drustino said:
Was at Ricketts Glen State Park in NE Pa. over the 4th. Was talking to a park ranger about detecting the beach, he said probably not in the summer, but check with the park manager, he'll probable let you after the swin season is over. He also said he had several inquiries about detecting & just told me this: One thing he did say he knows you can only use a screwdriver, no shove( I stepped in a hole on the beach about10" deep dug by a kid with his shovel playing in the sand, go figure ) & supposed to turn valuables in to the park office, except coins. This beach had to have about 2000 + people on it. Would have loved to get in to that early the next morn. I asked about coming back next mornin real early on the way out & told not during busy season, check back the end of summer. My personal thought is that either the park manager or rangers are also detectors and get it when the pickins are good, or they have buddies who they take care of first. Again, just my thought.

The problem with that is the man made beaches of our state parks are regularly combed ( with a york style rake on tractor ). This will remove broken glass and other hazards for the next visitors.

I lived in Beltzville Pa. and was able to get into Beltzville State Park literally as the gate opened. I headed right for the beach ( beach was small, few hundred yards long by 100 feet wide ) not a soul was around but the beach had already been combed. I went back more than a few times hoping to beat the maintenance but no luck.

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As another note to this topic. I have been told that county parks are of limits around me. Southeast PA. Have others in PA been told the same thing?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions