For your sake, PLEASE DO NOT TALK TO THE POLICE

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First, let me preface this post by saying that I am a law-abiding citizen who feels very strongly about big government stepping on the toes of us little guys. I would not consider myself to be a "tinfoil-hat wearer" or anything to that effect, and I respect the job that law enforcement does each and every day to help keep us safe. But after reading some of the posts on here, I felt compelled to post something that I found on youtube a couple of years ago. The following is from a law professor and former defense attorney that talks about using your 5th amendment right against self-incrimination. The video is a bit on the long side, but for your sake, please take the time to watch it. I don't want to see any of my fellow treasure hunters landing in jail, losing their equipment, finds, and possibly more because you said something that you shouldn't have, even if you had nothing to hide. YouTube Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc

Listen to Tom of CA. As he knows what he is talking about. Is best to never say what you found. Don't post pictures of your fines don't brag about anything either way. don't tell anyone about what you found ! Everyone likes to brag about their fines but that's what newbies do.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Listen to Tom of CA. As he knows what he is talking about. Is best to never say what you found. Don't post pictures of your fines don't brag about anything either way. don't tell anyone about what you found ! Everyone likes to brag about their fines but that's what newbies do.
My standard reply is "just a couple of junk Zincolns and clad" which is usually not a lie or misinformation. Most people ask " what's clad?". The few times I do find decent jewelry I slip it in the good pocket and zip it, along with my lips. It's very hard to do especially on the beach with hundreds of muggles watching you like a hawk! I know my whole facial expression changes too! (You may have guessed I'm not very good at poker either!)

lisfisher

Mar 5, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 2
White's classic 3sl
Garrett Infinium
Garrett pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Metal detecting is one of those hobbies that are very similiar to fishing - open your mouth to the wrong person and you've just potentially ruined a good spot.

Aug 10, 2013
Warren NJ
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wish more places had a sign like this! Metal detected it after the county clerk said "your not digging up our park"....go ahead ask permission. All you guys who metal detect with cops, your blessed. Anyone that dose so without such backing dose it because they are still free.

Attachments

• Garret Wall Park Belvidere.JPG
    Garret Wall Park Belvidere.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 238

Henry2

May 27, 2011
Unfortunately now a days it isnt up to you to decide whether or not you have anything to hide.Guilty until proven innocent.

It is still up to the state to prove guilt in the end, this is why this video and its information is so important. To many people don't know their rights and cops know this which end up hurting them in the end. Most people are found guilty over their own statements to the police because they think they can talk their way out of the situation, when in reality the police are collecting everything you say to use against you. Example you just get pulled over and what is the 1st thing they usually ask, "do you know why I pulled you over?" , most folks will screw themselves right there and say " I was going a little to fast", right there the person just admitted they were guilty and that line will be used against them if they tried to fight the ticket.

The problem today is to many people believe that using their rights is a bad thing, they don't want to look guilty by not saying a word to the police if the police ask them a question, when the truth is it is the best thing you can do for yourself.

poorman15

Feb 24, 2013
South Central Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
-Minelab Explorer SE
Newest- AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Video is too long & lawyers tend to ramble, so no thanks on the Vid.

Personally I already try to live my life by your title unless they talk to me first,
not even to Nark on people.

If it's a law Nazi asking, just call me Sargent Schultz

so just let it at that

I know Nutzing!?!

poorman15

Feb 24, 2013
South Central Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
-Minelab Explorer SE
Newest- AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I've seen plenty of people on here that aren't "newbies" showing others what they have found. It's what keeps others interested when the ground is frozen solid like a block of ice. Most of the places people on here hunt are private properties with the occasional park that allows detecting. If you are so set against people posting their finds, why are you even on this site? Just asking. I am all for people posting neat things they have discovered from the earth whether they are a so called newbie or someone that's been at this for quite some time. A little common sense goes a long way though, if you dig a pay wagon from the civil war on public property and want to keep it, it would be best to keep quiet, if you dig a 43 Merc, nobody is going to say boo about it. From the looks of what you do though, I would keep quiet too.

cra61

Jul 9, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2+
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett "carrot" Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not going into legalities or laws or anything like that. In New Hampshire the posted speed limit on the highways can and often is abridged by a law enforcement officer quoiting road conditions. That is the law, 55mph does not mean anything when there is six inches of snow on the road, if a trooper says it is 35 mph than you can and will be cited. Prove it in court. In regards to metal detecting, again, laws will be interpreted by law enforcement despite what the law states. You may win in the long run when you get your day in court but until then, you have been arrested, had to make bail and your equipment confiscated until your trial, not a chance I am willing to take thank you. I see everyone says ask permission for private land and wonder how can you justify not asking on public land. Quite often it is how you ask, who you ask and maybe even a demonstration of how you dig and replace as well as what you do with the trash you find. I have never been turned down when asking on state parks, city parks or even beaches. I have been questioned by many and when giving the name of the head ranger (park keeper etc) been not only left alone but also have received tips on a better place to search within the park. I have made friends with the police in many areas as they will stop and ask how things are going to stop because some busybody called in. I have received calls from two of the officers asking if I would assist in finding evidence at crime scenes when the department did not own metal detecting equipment. Asking does not hurt and like I said, being arrested, having my equipment confiscated for a while and appearing in court is a pain.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would agree...if that actually happens. I have never seen anyone get arrested and/or equipment confiscated for detecting on public land that was not a historical site. The problem of asking anyone, is that they generally don't know what the law is and will just go by what their feelings/perceptions are on the subject. You can look up the law yourself and not have to deal with personal bias from others. Permission given can also be permission revoked. If it's written down somewhere, you have something to back you up. I would still be friendly and helpful if asked to help in an investigation (which I've done also) but to ask permission is to have them question your activity and the necessity for permission in the first place. You don't ask permission to have a picnic or to play ball do you? Why should detecting be treated any different. Granted, it's not as common an activity but it's hardly rare these days. Just use some discretion and keep a low profile so the lookie loos and busybodies don't complain about something they don't understand.

JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Anybody else remember G. Gordon Liddy from Nixon's Watergate scandal? He put his hand on the Bible as the Judge instructed, and when asked, "Do you swear to tell the whole truth so help you God?" G. Gordon says, "No, I Don't."

Always thought that was one of the gutsiest things ever...what are they gonna do? Can't get him for perjury after that. So they pinned him with contempt of Court and Gerald Ford pardoned him.

met422

Tenderfoot
Jan 8, 2014
Cornville, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a recently disability retired officer from AZ. I have never heard of an officer doing more paperwork than needed. I don't think you would be contacted without someone complaining about you first.."I am down 6 reports and it's my Friday, but that guy is detecting, time to put that academy training to work!" If someone did complain, then the officer should contact you. Many, many times I got BS calls and just talked to the "suspect" and let them know about the complaint and that is it. Now if there is a complaint and a law is being broken, then the officer has much less discretion on whether or not to issue a warning. Now, if there is a complaint, and the suspect is breaking a law, and the suspect explained how they thought they had done due diligence in researching if it was legal beforehand, then it may just be a warning, or if not, a damn good defense if the case gets charged. In AZ, there would need to be a victim, unless the victim is the state, such as AZ trust land. Clear as mud, right? Talk to the cops, be nice, they have a tough job with 6 idiotic supervisors. Don't discuss the specifics if you may be in the wrong, but don't pull the "am I detained" bit, then it rightfully makes us suspicious.

Yates

Dec 15, 2013
Dayton
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Are there any threads concerning the Forrest Fenn legal issues. If the treasure is on federal lands there are multiple federal problems.

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been blessed to have good interactions with police officers in my metal detecting. I asked some police officers at the small town near where I live if there were any ordinances about metal detecting and informed them I filled in any holes I dug and they said it was fine. Another officer in a small town near the river came and talked to me and gave me some tips about other older places I didn't know about. There is a new mayor in the last small town I mentioned and I don't know how she will feel about it. As long as I've been courteous to the police, the courtesy has been returned. It might be different in larger towns.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure the size of the town has anything to do with it. It's more who responds to the call and what their mindset is. Regardless, it's best to know what the actual laws is when you have any interaction with officials. That way you can tell if what they're saying is BS or not.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen plenty of people on here that aren't "newbies" showing others what they have found. It's what keeps others interested when the ground is frozen solid like a block of ice. Most of the places people on here hunt are private properties with the occasional park that allows detecting. If you are so set against people posting their finds, why are you even on this site? Just asking. I am all for people posting neat things they have discovered from the earth whether they are a so called newbie or someone that's been at this for quite some time. A little common sense goes a long way though, if you dig a pay wagon from the civil war on public property and want to keep it, it would be best to keep quiet, if you dig a 43 Merc, nobody is going to say boo about it. From the looks of what you do though, I would keep quiet too.

Poorman, to answer your question about why I am on this site it is to try to help others with problems with detectors or offer my experiences which cover +40 years. It is most of the newbies that need the pat on the head with what they found and some of those photo's could be bought or wife's jewelry. Just saying.......But it is true it does generate interest and sales.
We the People.JPG

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Poorman it violates our rules to attack members...

Your last sentence is a direct attack on Sandman, do not attack Sandman again. Sandman is a longtime respected member who has helped many, many, many members here through the years, myself included.

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

ssdevilfish

Jan 8, 2014
In this country we have a constitution and we vote for our leaders and vote for new laws etc. I am alarmed and concerned by the comments about not talking to cops or notifying the proper authorities when treasure hunting on public or private property. I don't agree with all the laws in this great country and mostly those are the ones it didn't vote for. But the majority did. Ordinances and local laws are put in place to protect and serve the majority who use said services from their towns or states. If one of you goes into a city park with your detector and finds 3 old coins. Good for you. Then when your approached by law enforcement you are asked what you are doing and you say oh just looking for trinkets. Law asks what have you found? You somehow justify not telling the truth and lie and say oh just a couple of quarters so far. Law asks you to move on so you do. You just lied to a cop for no reason. Wow that's a great example. Or you find a box in a city park and dig it up. Inside is a copy of the original constitution which has been lost since 1778. Your amazed by your find. And sell it at auction for millions saying you found it at a garage sale or something. Now to the rest of us whom paid our taxes to build that park and our fathers sons daughters neighbors whom fought for that very constitution are never to enjoy what is rightfully all of ours. Found on public space sold illegally obtained fraudulently and now you feel it's ok to sit in your new million dollar home and tell stories of what a great detector of treasure you are. My example shows what can happen and may have. We all deserve to know who is on parks and using them illegally. We all deserve the right to share in any finds of significance and to claim any objects we have lost in such parks. How would you like to lose your wedding ring that has been passed down for hundreds of years only to find out later some guy detecting on the public park found it and sold it for thousands without ever thinking of the emotional and sentimental value and major impact of sadness this object has had to this family. You could have changed lives for the better but you choose to not even check if someone is hurting over their own lost treasure. I follow the law and if I get permission to detect a park (and I always ask) and I find say ten pounds of gold bars from the goldrush days or a wedding ring or anything of value I will go to local authorities I will tell newspapers and I will turn it over for investigation and wait the alotted time for anyone with a legal claim to come forward. Or whatever the LAW advises me to do. If it's in my back yard and I dig it up I will immediately put it lost and found in local paper and wait. Then put it up for auction and call it a great day detecting. I hope the newbies and youngsters who have read your words decide to read the laws first. How dare any of you pretend ignorance of the law just to hide a possible profit. My god has greed corrupted all of us. From now on I will approach all detectors I see on public property and ask who they talked to to get permission to detect here. I also will ask to see any treasures they may have found and if they will be listing these objects in the lost and found of local paper and that should be after they bring it to police to be properly handled as found valuables on public property. I am ashamed some of you here being current or retired officers have chosen to believe it's ok to just say nothing. And to the guy who compared treasure hunting to g Gordon liddy lying under oath is reprehensible. Follow the law or the law will keep on seizing equipment and passing out fines. We wonder why it's so hard to prospect mine or detect anymore. It's comments like these that law makers read and use for logical decision making. It will be our own fault if more laws are passed to restrict prospecting mining and detecting on public owned lands. Think how many minds could be changed by a bunch of metal detectors out in our parks finding lost treasures and reuniting them with some of their original owners. It's the best option to opening more grounds to prospect for treasures. It would change minds and bring a needed boost to the respect of all detectors prospectors and miners. Let's all take a second to reflect on why we even prospect to begin with. Think about a better way and more compassionate way to start reuniting some of these lost treasures and restore faith to those people. Billions of dollars will never guarantee happiness. But I would bet a billion that a lost heirloom returned to some family hit with sadness over it's loss would bring a type of happiness rarely felt more than once in a lifetime.

Last edited:

xrunndonex

Dec 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In this country we have a constitution and we vote for our leaders and vote for new laws etc. I am alarmed and concerned by the comments about not talking to cops or notifying the proper authorities when treasure hunting on public or private property. I don't agree with all the laws in this great country and mostly those are the ones it didn't vote for. But the majority did. Ordinances and local laws are put in place to protect and serve the majority who use said services from their towns or states. If one of you goes into a city park with your detector and finds 3 old coins. Good for you. Then when your approached by law enforcement you are asked what you are doing and you say oh just looking for trinkets. Law asks what have you found? You somehow justify not telling the truth and lie and say oh just a couple of quarters so far. Law asks you to move on so you do. You just lied to a cop for no reason. Wow that's a great example. Or you find a box in a city park and dig it up. Inside is a copy of the original constitution which has been lost since 1778. Your amazed by your find. And sell it at auction for millions saying you found it at a garage sale or something. Now to the rest of us whom paid our taxes to build that park and our fathers sons daughters neighbors whom fought for that very constitution are never to enjoy what is rightfully all of ours. Found on public space sold illegally obtained fraudulently and now you feel it's ok to sit in your new million dollar home and tell stories of what a great detector of treasure you are. My example shows what can happen and may have. We all deserve to know who is on parks and using them illegally. We all deserve the right to share in any finds of significance and to claim any objects we have lost in such parks. How would you like to lose your wedding ring that has been passed down for hundreds of years only to find out later some guy detecting on the public park found it and sold it for thousands without ever thinking of the emotional and sentimental value and major impact of sadness this object has had to this family. You could have changed lives for the better but you choose to not even check if someone is hurting over their own lost treasure. I follow the law and if I get permission to detect a park (and I always ask) and I find say ten pounds of gold bars from the goldrush days or a wedding ring or anything of value I will go to local authorities I will tell newspapers and I will turn it over for investigation and wait the alotted time for anyone with a legal claim to come forward. Or whatever the LAW advises me to do. If it's in my back yard and I dig it up I will immediately put it lost and found in local paper and wait. Then put it up for auction and call it a great day detecting. I hope the newbies and youngsters who have read your words decide to read the laws first. How dare any of you pretend ignorance of the law just to hide a possible profit. My god has greed corrupted all of us. From now on I will approach all detectors I see on public property and ask who they talked to to get permission to detect here. I also will ask to see any treasures they may have found and if they will be listing these objects in the lost and found of local paper and that should be after they bring it to police to be properly handled as found valuables on public property. I am ashamed some of you here being current or retired officers have chosen to believe it's ok to just say nothing. And to the guy who compared treasure hunting to g Gordon liddy lying under oath is reprehensible. Follow the law or the law will keep on seizing equipment and passing out fines. We wonder why it's so hard to prospect mine or detect anymore. It's comments like these that law makers read and use for logical decision making. It will be our own fault if more laws are passed to restrict prospecting mining and detecting on public owned lands. Think how many minds could be changed by a bunch of metal detectors out in our parks finding lost treasures and reuniting them with some of their original owners. It's the best option to opening more grounds to prospect for treasures. It would change minds and bring a needed boost to the respect of all detectors prospectors and miners. Let's all take a second to reflect on why we even prospect to begin with. Think about a better way and more compassionate way to start reuniting some of these lost treasures and restore faith to those people. Billions of dollars will never guarantee happiness. But I would bet a billion that a list heirloom returned to some family hit with sadness over it's loss would bring a type of happiness rarely felt more than once in a lifetime.

OK Mr goody goody. If I found a ring how am I suppose to contact someone the cops might throw it on a police auction.

ssdevilfish

Jan 8, 2014
Lost and found in local news. Do something. And it is ok to be goody goody. Hell you just might make someone else happy besides yourself.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread