For your sake, PLEASE DO NOT TALK TO THE POLICE

Ocaliman

Apr 21, 2006
Ocala, FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
First, let me preface this post by saying that I am a law-abiding citizen who feels very strongly about big government stepping on the toes of us little guys. I would not consider myself to be a "tinfoil-hat wearer" or anything to that effect, and I respect the job that law enforcement does each and every day to help keep us safe. But after reading some of the posts on here, I felt compelled to post something that I found on youtube a couple of years ago. The following is from a law professor and former defense attorney that talks about using your 5th amendment right against self-incrimination. The video is a bit on the long side, but for your sake, please take the time to watch it. I don't want to see any of my fellow treasure hunters landing in jail, losing their equipment, finds, and possibly more because you said something that you shouldn't have, even if you had nothing to hide.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even though I've never known of anyone getting ticketed, let alone getting thrown in jail, or having their equipment confiscated for detecting a legal site, I found this video very informative and interesting. Thanks!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Video is too long & lawyers tend to ramble, so no thanks on the Vid.

Personally I already try to live my life by your title unless they talk to me first,
not even to Nark on people.

If it's a law Nazi asking, just call me Sargent Schultz

so just let it at that

Last edited:

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The video is well worth watching...........I am a law abiding citizen also.......never been arrested........
BUT we live in days where the rule of law if no longer, and the entire justice system in the US is rotten to the core.......yes there may be some, a few good people in it.......but far too many bad ones and far too many people who ignore bad things and allow evil to triumph......

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The video is well worth watching...........I am a law abiding citizen also.......never been arrested........
BUT we live in days where the rule of law if no longer, and the entire justice system in the US is rotten to the core.......yes there may be some, a few good people in it.......but far too many bad ones and far too many people who ignore bad things and allow evil to triumph......

Well until someone puts me on the "overpaid more then I'm worth list" :tongue3:
I do allot of ignoring :laughing7:

Rich in Texas

Jun 23, 2003
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, MXT X2, Exploder, and Classic III
That guys is on point. When I went through the police academy, they taught us to elicit information. Any and all that could be used. The more you talk, the more likely they can get you on something. Even if you didn't do anything.

OP
OP
Ocaliman

Ocaliman

Apr 21, 2006
Ocala, FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
If you do a search on YouTube, you will find a shorter version of this with just the attorney speaking. About halfway through the video I posted above, he turns the microphone over to a police officer who says pretty much what you said, Rich.

golden ray

Jan 30, 2013
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
& Lobo
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Seen this video on 'you tube' before, and you are correct; its a real eye opener.
When I was in my teens(my trouble making years) I had to go to court, and the
arresting officer told the judge that I would not answer their questions, etc.
The judge asked the cop to read him the statute that said I am required to
answer his questions. The cop said that I must be guilty because I wouldn't
say anything. The judge dismissed the case.

Sawyer

Jan 25, 2013
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Exterra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If a police officer reads you your rights and then asks you if you understood them, and you say one word, you did not understand them!

skeeter86

Oct 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I,ve found that if your first stop is the police station a lot of misunderstanding can be avoided.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your first stop should be the published ordinances for that particular piece of ground. Asking ANY public official is just asking for a no. Most don't even know what the law is and just go by their own whims and biases.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I guess I metal detect with too many cops to take any of this seriously.. :occasion14:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess I metal detect with too many cops to take any of this seriously.. :occasion14:

Just remember......

"Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law."

We will NOT go quitely into the night!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

I,ve found that if your first stop is the police station a lot of misunderstanding can be avoided.

Skeeter, this technique of asking at police stations, has come up before threads along this line. And yes, it stands-to-reason that the cops have BIGGER fish to fry, and are going to be less inclined to care less about something so seemingly innocuous. But question for you: what do you do if whomever your asking there, at the police station, gives you any of these type answers:

a) "No you can't". So you, the md'r, asks "where is that written?" or "what's the law/rule that says that?". And the desk-clerk at the police station cites something silly like "disturbing" or "vandalism" or "digging" etc... (even though perhaps you never even MENTIONED digging or anything, yet it's just some desk-clerk's go-to mental image). What do you do then ? Does this mean, therefore, that you can't? Perhaps detecting is just common-place already there amongst others, and no one's ever cared. So are they now somehow at fault or illegal, since you've gone and found yourself a "no"?

b) "go ask at the park's dept, as that's there jurisdiction to answer". So Skeeter waltzes off to the parks dept, and gets the same answer as (a) above.

So then, why can't a person just look up the laws/rules for himself? Why have to ask ANY live person ANYWHERE? I mean, if you would expect that their answer be based on some sort of real law or rule (rather than just whimsical opinion or mood), then that merely pre-assumes that they'd be having some sort of written rule or law to base their answer on ... TO BEGIN WITH. And that being the case, presto, YOU TOO can just look that up, rather than risk someone's arbitrary "no" or interpretation of things you let them morph to fit your "pressing question".

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If my hunting buddies were a bunch of cops, I wouldn't ask either! Must be nice! :notworthy:

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I and / or We Chug and Red, Have been approached Over 12 time By The Police And Never Have Had Any Problems!!! Remember Only Hunt Where You Are Allowed, Always Be Respectful Of Others And The Area you are Hunting!!!

When An Officer Approaches, Be nice and Ask what Is Going on!!!! Most of the Time It is They are Coming Over to See How you are Doing On your Hunt!!! Show Them the Dangerous Stuff you are Removing From the Grass, Sand Playground Chips First, Then Show Them A Few Coins!!!

Once In A While It's that they Received A Call :hello: only three time So Far!!!! for Us Usually it A Nosy Busybody the Complains And The Officer is Just Going through the Motions!!!

I Repeat the Process Again:icon_thumleft:

Show Them the Dangerous Stuff you are Removing From the Grass, Sand, Playground Chips Then Show Them A Few Coins!!!

HH Chug and Red

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny, I have never ever ever ever hunted anything but farms and my own property. ALWAYS with permission. Never wanted to hunt a park. Figured I'd just get yelled at or something. I found out this year it's illegal in my county, so probably better I hadn't hunted any parks.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can look it up for yourself and find out for sure. You might be pleasantly surprised! Not all county (or city, state, federal for that matter) property is under the same laws.

lisfisher

Mar 5, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 2
White's classic 3sl
Garrett Infinium
Garrett pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Posted by cudamark: "Asking ANY public official is just asking for a no. Most don't even know what the law is and just go by their own whims and biases."

I agree 100%. They do NOT know. I tend to detect anywhere there are NOT any posted signs, { aside from obvious private properties } or in obvious high profile places where I could be asking for trouble. Been at this for 20 years and never been bothered. Asking any public official or Poice officer is asking for a no. If by some chance I am asked to leave, then I will politely do so. Aside from that, this is one of those hobbies where keeping your mouth shut can only do you good, just my humble opinion.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
even if you had nothing to hide.

Unfortunately now a days it isnt up to you to decide whether or not you have anything to hide.Guilty until proven innocent.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread