Tenderfoot
Nov 5, 2013
Oceanside, CA
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro - Vibra Probe 580
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hello fellow Hobbyists! :hello:

As most of you know, our hobby has become endangered. Ever since Nat Geo show "Diggers" has aired, our hobby has become extremely popular. This is not a bad thing, however, people have been careless by leaving trash, not filling holes and some have even trespassed. In consequence, a lot of cites, county's and some states are starting to either limit or ban metal detecting all together.

For example: In Logan Utah, college students have started to metal detect and they never filled their holes and now the entire city has banned the hobby expect on private property.

However, we can fight these things through our legal system. www.detectingrights.com has stepped up to the plate and are getting things accomplished.
They have been extremely successful in winning legal battles and restoring rights once again.

I encourage all of you to check this organisation our and participate. They also have a list of the Code of Ethics so study and also offer tips to be better diggers and leave less traces.

protect-our-hobby.png

For those of you who do not know the Code of Ethics, here they are:
Task Force for Metal Detecting Rights Foundation – Detectorists Code of Ethics
The Task Force for Metal Detecting Rights Foundation takes its mission seriously to defend the rights of detectorists to responsibly enjoy the hobby. We also take seriously the Detectorists Code of Ethics.

1. I will follow all laws relating to metal detecting on federal and state lands as well as any laws pertaining to local areas I may be searching.
2. I will respect private property and attain the owners permission before metal detecting.
3. I will recover targets in a way that will not damage or kill vegetation and I will fill in holes completely leaving the area looking as it was.
4. I remove all trash found and dispose it of properly.
5. I will report discovery of any items that have significant historical value to the proper authorities.
6. I will use common courtesy and common sense at all times.
7. I will set a good example of how people should enjoy the lawful hobby of recreational metal detecting.

With respect,
Andrew aka Metal Junky

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish I could wave a magic wand at those that violate the code of ethics so they will see the light and abide by them but I think you're just preaching to the choir here.....

OP
OP
Metal Junky

Metal Junky

Tenderfoot
Nov 5, 2013
Oceanside, CA
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro - Vibra Probe 580
Primary Interest:
I wish I could wave a magic wand at those that violate the code of ethics so they will see the light and abide by them but I think you're just preaching to the choir here.....

You're probably right.:sad5: The main point of the post was letting folks know there is a Non-profit out there that is fighting the good fight.

RelicPrime113

Aug 20, 2013
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Silver, Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm glad there's organizations like these to help us metal detecting enthusiasts who honor the code and deserve to dig for treasure. Unfortunately there will always be a bad egg who ruins the best hobby in the world for everyone. As the red queen says, " Off with their heads!" just kidding. :laughing7:

RickeyBobby

Tenderfoot
Nov 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a net Geo Tv show? I don't have tv. is it any good? sorry off topic

neighbors75

May 5, 2012
Ironton, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett Grand Master Hunter CX III,

Garrett Ultra GTA 1000,

Whites coinmaster classic.

Whites Coinmaster 2/D TR- Discriminator
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
we should all join this organization and support it, Dont sit in the background, get involved. I am..!

Vortex360

Tenderfoot
Dec 6, 2013
Washoe Valley Nv.
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, F70, Tesore Toltec II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yes, there is a show, actually a couple, and I'll see if I can get this right..... Garrett AT Pro: beep...beep...beep...beep...beep...Bleeeeep!....Bleeeeeep!, I see sil, I got roundness! Then a couple of guys doing cartwheels and back flips off trees. Which really nowadays does not draw much attention.
Or it could be the one with the guy and the metal detector standing next to a ten foot deep hole and a backhoe.
I blame the producers for the misconception of what the hobby is all about.

pkb

Feb 10, 2013
Dallas
Detector(s) used
Two Garrett AT PRO's, two Garrett pro pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd like some business cards with my name on them, and the code of conduct. So if your questioned you give them your card. At lest it would show them who you are and responsible about what you are doing .

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
preventative steps

I'd like some business cards with my name on them, and the code of conduct. So if your questioned you give them your card. At lest it would show them who you are and responsible about what you are doing .

Pkb, I know ..... in-lieu of posts/topics like this, that it seems we md'rs should take preventative measures to head off misconceptions that we may ir-responsible. Right? Ie.: show a city person or private property person the "code of ethics" etc... right? But think of it though: If you go in with that mindset (that mindset that this person is already thinking that "detecting = bad"), then showing them such things may do nothing more than DRAW THEIR ATTENTION to such things. You know, the "fill in holes" and "obey all laws" and "not disturb cultural or historic sites" and all such things, can back-fire to only draw that person into having those mental images, to begin with. Know what I mean?

Therefore, to the contrary, often the LAST thing you want to do, is go talking about "holes" and "dig" and other such things. I mean, sure, if THEY bring it up, then you have to address it. But no, I would not go in from the git-go with any such defenses poised and on-the-table, lest it only bring about the very-mindset and objections, that you sought to distance yourself from.

I know it's easy to think that everyone and their brother is watching such st*pid shows, and hence hates md'rs. But such is not always nor often the case. Quite often they don't care, and are actually perhaps even interested. And would have no problem saying "sure go ahead".

Sandigger2

Mar 25, 2012
Ventura County,So Cal
Detector(s) used
DFX, PIDF,CZ 21,F5,
Primary Interest:
I always leave an area looking like I never was there. If I'm ever questioned about what I'm doing or what I found,
I always show them how much trash I have removed, then I'll show them 1 or 2 coins or items I have dug. Often
the Park Ranger or LEO will be impressed at how much junk is being removed that may harm children playing in the park or
beach. Good PR never hurts.
RG

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other

Thank the gods that you dont have a television.Trust me,youre not missing anything.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread