Question on an old school site

str8flexed

Dec 28, 2013
Evansville, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO; Garrett Pro Pointer; Bazooka Mini Gold Trap
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My grandmother's old high school was torn down many years ago, and the town owns the property where the school used to sit. I called the public library up there, and was informed that it is public property owned by the town and was given a number to call before I drove up there, but seeing as it is a public area in Indiana, I assume I'm ok to detect there? I plan on calling the number the librarian gave me but wanted to check on here first to see if, 1. I actually have to call, and 2. what I should actually say to better my chances of going up there to try and find stuff.

From what I can find, the school was opened around 1900-1930 (I cant find an exact date), and was closed in 1974 and torn down in the late 90's. I'm hoping there is some cool stuff there if it hasn't already been gone over.

Thanks in advance.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

My grandmother's old high school was torn down many years ago, and the town owns the property where the school used to sit. I called the public library up there, and was informed that it is public property owned by the town and was given a number to call before I drove up there, but seeing as it is a public area in Indiana, I assume I'm ok to detect there? I plan on calling the number the librarian gave me but wanted to check on here first to see if, 1. I actually have to call, and 2. what I should actually say to better my chances of going up there to try and find stuff.

From what I can find, the school was opened around 1900-1930 (I cant find an exact date), and was closed in 1974 and torn down in the late 90's. I'm hoping there is some cool stuff there if it hasn't already been gone over.

Thanks in advance.

If it were me, I'd just go.

But you're certainly welcome to knock yourself silly asking higher and higher up the chain or bureaucracy. But odds are, you will risk a no. From someone, perhaps, who really would never have cared less. But they are obliged to give you the safe answer. I mean, put yourself in their shoes, why should they be bothered? For that matter, you can probably find a "no" for the most innocuous of modern still-in-use sandboxes, if you ask enough people with the right combination of words.

So, the moral of the story? Just go. If someone has an issue, they're welcome to tell you.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
If you go, you may wish to do some research beforehand--like search for an aerial photo of the area showing the position of the school and outbuildings on the site. You'd then be more efficient in where you search.
Don.....

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Myself I would go, you stated it is public property, when you ask, people will always say no because it's always easier to not give permission than to take responsibility for having said yes, in public office the policy is C.Y.A. and just say no, just make sure you can prove it is public property.

OP
OP
S

str8flexed

Dec 28, 2013
Evansville, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you go, you may wish to do some research beforehand--like search for an aerial photo of the area showing the position of the school and outbuildings on the site. You'd then be more efficient in where you search.
Don.....

I've looked at aerial photos online after the school has been torn down, but cannot find any pictures of it where it stood... however, the gym that was once attached to it is still up, so I have a general idea of how it had to sit, seeing as it wasn't a huge lot to begin with.

OP
OP
S

str8flexed

Dec 28, 2013
Evansville, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Myself I would go, you stated it is public property, when you ask, people will always say no because it's always easier to not give permission than to take responsibility for having said yes, in public office the policy is C.Y.A. and just say no, just make sure you can prove it is public property.

I'll probably just go up there this weekend, but can just go off of what the librarian said if someone challenges me about if it is public property or not.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it's public land and not posted off-limits, I'd just hunt it. The worst that will happen is someone will tell you to leave. You might make some good finds by that time!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread