Relic Hunting

augoldminer

Jan 7, 2013
high desert goldfields
Detector(s) used
gold master V-sat
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i found a gun in the mine timbers just inside the opening of a mine in the desert once.

it was in a dry area and in very good shape.

turn it in no way its in my collection and after a little work in shooting condition.

you have to watch though the other thing miners hid in the same area is thee blasting supplies.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it's none of their business... and don't call them authorities, that's what you've been indoctrinated to believe. They are PUBLIC SERVANTS, and most of them don't know anything about anything. I've seen them blow up civil war solid shots, don't call them.

Good point :thumbsup: authority is usually given with Respect & trust

2 things that can't be put out there with Trust any more,
so how can you possibly Respect them ?

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Detect, Shovel, Shut up……….
As for drugs, I would not touch them….if you pick them up to dispose of them, you put yourself in unnecessary legal danger…….

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Detect, Shovel, Shut up……….
As for drugs, I would not touch them….if you pick them up to dispose of them, you put yourself in unnecessary legal danger…….

hunting deer

Jul 21, 2010
Indiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd take anything suspicious to Matt Foley. He lives in a van down by the river. And shut your big yapper! :laughing7:

Last edited:

littleneckhalfshell

Jun 21, 2005
""Edit: so If you find a $20 gold coin that you kicked up on the dirt, you have to either rebury it or hand it over. Hmmmmmmmmmmm...........""

That $20 gold coin, I dropped it, it's my lucky coin, my grandfather gave it to me when I was a little boy............

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A very recent drop of drugs or a large amount of cash could be left as a pickup for a drug deal. Good chance its being watched by the some dealer who is going to bust your head in if you touch it or the DEA, who will bust your head in and press charges.

As for a gun, sounds like a sweet deal finding a newer handgun....but.. what if that same gun was used in a violent crime or is stolen? If for any reason it is ever seized by the authorities, you may have some awful stuff coming back on you.

I once found a large bag of money, stuffed full of cash and checks. I did the honest thing and gave it back to the business owner who dropped it (who also was my landlord at the time). I got a month of free rent out of the deal and permission to detect some of her old properties. Plus she put in a good word for me when I asked out one of her hot employees (who I am still in a relationship with) :icon_thumleft: I later found out the bag contained upwards of $10k, a few days of money from her vault.

war-digs-it

Feb 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Doing" what's good and what's right versus the laws on the books are completely different these days. Although there are gray areas in nearly everything, I go with what is the morally right thing to do. Laws may be trampled without thought and I don't care one bit. Our own Government and the politicians don't care or follow the laws, neither do they "do" what's right in so many ways. Treat people well and with respect and screw the laws that are meant to hinder "We the People"

mrbill98

Tenderfoot
May 3, 2014
Marietta, Ga.
Detector(s) used
White's TDI PRO
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I once found a money bag. The only problem I encountered was that the bag was "empty". What does that tell ya???

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I once found a money bag. The only problem I encountered was that the bag was "empty". What does that tell ya???

It tells you that whomever found the bag first, dutifully went and turned in all the money to the proper authorities. Right ? :dontknow:

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"When to notify the authorities". - If I find a body or parts thereof I would give it serious thought.

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been detecting around a vacant building and property (with permission from the owner). This place was recently raided by copper thieves, and as a result many of the doors had to be boarded up due to the damage. A real nasty part of town!! I have been finding a lot of broken pieces of copper pipe in the grass, obviously dropped by the thieves. I lay this pipe aside and then put it in my trash bag when I leave, don't want to be caught by a cop packing around obviously stolen copper near a place like this!

I also spotted something rolled up in a ratty sleeping in a fenced in part of the property. It was cold and raining outside so I didn't investigate, but it looked like a body! I'm going back tomorrow early, so I'll probably check out that bag first. If its a body, I probably will probably call the police.... only after I finish my hunt and am prepared to get the hell out of there!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think I'd want to be hunting a property (with permission or not) if there was a body in the yard! Copper pipe would be the least of your worries if the cops rolled up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread