Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro International
8.5’’ x 11’’ PROformance DD submersible search coil
Garrett Pin Pointer Probe
A rucksack full of determination and a pocket full of optimism
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone

Right, I realise I am being extremely optimistic and slightly premature lol but hypothetically speaking and just for future reference ... if, while on a forum group dig, a person is fortunate enough to dig up a hoard or roman gold coins or something just as valuable .. I realise the find is going to be classed as Treasure Trove and swiftly taken away to be examined by the coroner .. but what exactly is the protocol is situations like that ?? and what sort of percentage is the finder entitled to once the situation has finally run its course ?

I am totally new to the hobby and have read the fabulous stories in the papers about detectorists stumbling upon hidden treasures and receiving substantial payouts and I am just wondering how it all works like ?? If any of you could enlighten me as to the in's and out's I would be really grateful :)

Thanks in advance

Jase

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet! A lot will depend on the laws of the country in question. Some have zero tolerance for anything found and will confiscate everything and put you in jail for digging it up. Other countries are more tolerant and will actually compensate you for the find based on some arbitrary value that they come up with. You'll have to do some research to find out what "treasure trove" means in that particular country.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He is in England.

From my understanding, this is how it goes:

The find goes to the Coroner's Office and an evaluation is made. If you think the valuation is too low, then you can challenge that and have it independently evaluated. It is also decided whether or not the find is historically significant. If it is historically significant, then museums will place bids on it in an effort to purchase the find. If not historically significant or the museums can't get enough money, the find goes to the finder and the landowner (usually a 50/50 split).

Best - Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread