How to Gain Permission to Hunt Town Land

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey everybody,

So, up here in New England there are dozens of historical sites (mill's, old garrisons, etc) that are under the ownership of the town. Meanwhile, I am salivating over the prospect of being able to detect these properties. I would like to be clear that I do NOT intend to keep any artifacts that would uncover at these sites, but donate them to the local town's historical center. How would I go about getting permission to hunt these sites? Is it even possible?
Thanks in advance, and happy hunting!
C4C

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Hey everybody,

So, up here in New England there are dozens of historical sites (mill's, old garrisons, etc) that are under the ownership of the town. Meanwhile, I am salivating over the prospect of being able to detect these properties. I would like to be clear that I do NOT intend to keep any artifacts that would uncover at these sites, but donate them to the local town's historical center. How would I go about getting permission to hunt these sites? Is it even possible?
Thanks in advance, and happy hunting!
C4C

Your question assumes an implied premise: That permission was/is necessary. Assuming there is no law or rule saying "no metal detecting", then why would you need permission? No more so than needing to permission to fly a frisbee there or whatever. As long as you're doing no harm (leaving no marks) , then ....

OP
OP
C

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your question assumes an implied premise: That permission was/is necessary. Assuming there is no law or rule saying "no metal detecting", then why would you need permission? No more so than needing to permission to fly a frisbee there or whatever. As long as you're doing no harm (leaving no marks) , then ....

I had a feeling, thanks Tom.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most historical sites do have restrictions if not outright bans on detecting so look up the ordinances yourself to find out. Asking ANYONE will almost certainly get you a "NO". If you know a local politician or if you're a member of the local historical society would probably help. Sometimes it's who you know that's the most important in getting permission for a site like that.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used

Most historical sites do have restrictions if not outright bans on detecting so look up the ordinances yourself to find out. ....

Well, it depends on what one means by "historical sites". Sure there's some sensitive *obvious* historic monument type places that .... well someone's gonna get a bee-in-their-bonnet. But that would only be monument type places. I would not include old (even "super old") parks in that category. Because, doh, where ELSE does one want to hunt to find old coins. Doh! Certainly not "new" parks. Hence md'r gravitate to older parks and locations all the time, in their quest :)

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If your intent is to benefit the local historical society with your finds it would be a good idea to contact them. A partnership that involves the exchange of information about potential sites on their part and your skills at exploring those sites is an obvious win/win situation.

Should any local agencies or residents choose to object to your hunting a partnership with the history keepers of your region will go a long way to easing any fears they may have.

Good luck, it sounds like you are in for an interesting adventure!

OP
OP
C

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks to all of you, it sounds as if I just need to build up a few relationships :)

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
... it sounds as if I just need to build up a few relationships :)

Well .... sure: If there's a rule or law that forbade detecting there, then yes. But if not, then no, you don't need relationships to hunt public land. And as far as "historical sites", again, it depends on what you mean by "historical sites". This isn't an "age issue", mind-you. Because think of it: The USA is RIDDLED with parks that date to the 1800s. Heck, on the east coast, perhaps even the 1700s. Are all those automatically "historic sites" (thus giving the willies to the skittish that they must somehow be off-limits, by the mere addition of the word "historic" ?). No.

So is there's a plaque there ? A sensitive monument? If not, then I would not classify that as any different than any other city park or school, etc... that ALL md'rs go to. I mean, doh, none of us gets excited going to "new" non-historic sites, now do we ?

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Asking permission to hunt legal sites, makes em think? "Maybe we should ban it? I will bring it up at the next meeting..."It also allows someone who doesn't know (and feeling in a position of power) to say no! If you are going to talk to anybody it should be the guy mowing, to let him know you pick up garbage and keep it out of his mower blade! A big chunk of iron in the finds bag can be brought forth as u say,"how would you like to hit this! Found it right over there, sticking out of the ground...":occasion14:

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
.... If you are going to talk to anybody it should be the guy mowing...

Oh heavens no. Not just a rank-&-file lowly clerk or lawn-mower fellow. You should keep asking higher and higher up the chain-of-command (afterall, you can't be too safe, right?). And be sure to use key-buzz words like "dig" and "treasure" and "holes" and "indian bone", lest they not understand the full implications of your question !

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well .... sure: If there's a rule or law that forbade detecting there, then yes. But if not, then no, you don't need relationships to hunt public land. And as far as "historical sites", again, it depends on what you mean by "historical sites". This isn't an "age issue", mind-you. Because think of it: The USA is RIDDLED with parks that date to the 1800s. Heck, on the east coast, perhaps even the 1700s. Are all those automatically "historic sites" (thus giving the willies to the skittish that they must somehow be off-limits, by the mere addition of the word "historic" ?). No.

So is there's a plaque there ? A sensitive monument? If not, then I would not classify that as any different than any other city park or school, etc... that ALL md'rs go to. I mean, doh, none of us gets excited going to "new" non-historic sites, now do we ?

That's an awful tall horse you got there son...

I certainly didn't suggest crazy4coins should (god forbid) ask anyone for permission. I'm guessing you didn't even read my suggestion that he actually cooperate with other knowledgeable humans to enhance his chances of success at his goal.

Please go on (and on, and on, and...) with your mission. Sorry for the distraction. :laughing7:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, it depends on what one means by "historical sites". Sure there's some sensitive *obvious* historic monument type places that .... well someone's gonna get a bee-in-their-bonnet. But that would only be monument type places. I would not include old (even "super old") parks in that category. Because, doh, where ELSE does one want to hunt to find old coins. Doh! Certainly not "new" parks. Hence md'r gravitate to older parks and locations all the time, in their quest :)
My response was directed to sites that are officially designated as a Historic Site, whether it's on the National, State, or local registry. Usually the local historical society has a list of them in your area with the rules and regs that govern them. Many are privately owned and available for detecting with permission from the owner. Even when you own a historic building, you can't just do what you want with it. There are rules regarding the appearance and any modifications allowed. Any restoration work has to be approved so it keeps the period look. Sometimes you can only paint it a certain color or use particular wood or shingles. In those same rules, there are sometimes others regarding the grounds around the building. If it's privately owned, I'd start with the owner. If they don't mind, I'd be there in a heartbeat and wouldn't ask too many questions! If it truly belongs to the town, it's harder to get permission but not impossible. Volunteer to help in it's upkeep or if it's a site people visit, help run the tour. Once you get your foot in the door and know who to cozy up to, permission should be much easier.

fever87

Aug 16, 2009
Chesapeake, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705, Equinox 600, GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I live in a city where there is no law prohibiting metal detecting, HOWEVER, there is a law that prohibits DIGGING on city property.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fever, I'm sure there's laws/rules about "digging" on EVERY SINGLE speck of public land (schools, parks, beaches, campgrounds, etc...) in the USA. And if not specifically using the word "dig", will at least be something like : "alter", or "deface" or "destruct" etc....

But when you think of it: ALL such verbage inherently implies the end result. Right ? So if you leave no trace or marks, then logically you have not defacED, alterED, or destructED anything, now have you ? Although the word "dig" is more .... uh ... "problematic", I would still say the same logic applies: dIg versus dUg. Because it's still clearly the end-result by implication of the law.

And the mere fact that people routinely detect places all the time, where all such words (even the word "dig") are in place (whether with "permission", or that they just "go"), tells me that there is therefore common sense as to the meaning of the words, their intent, etc.... Because otherwise, if it were clear cut that it means even the temporary evil of extraction, then logically, no one could ever "get permission" to detect places where the verbage exists. I mean, no one can "allow" you to break laws right? (steal, exceed speed limits, etc..). So the mere fact that md'rs have been known to get permission (as if it were needed) to md public parks, tells you right there that they not clear cut black and white like that.

Sure, use common sense, avoid busy-body lookie-lous, etc...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions