State Land Detecting

OhioPlugger

May 19, 2014
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm fairly new to detecting so forgive my rookie question I just like to get all the bases covered before I head out. I've been doing some research and I've located a couple spots of interest where some old homes used to be. After a GIS search both areas seem to be owned by the state (Ohio). They're located out in the country and not a part of any park or historical area, they just seem like private land that was abandoned or sold to the state. I'm wondering if those particular areas are ok to hunt on? I've been reading that as long as there is no signs posted against trespassing or detecting that it's generally ok, but if anyone could provide clarification that'd be awesome. Thanks guys!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it's owned by the state and not part of a restricted area, I'd just hunt it. Just be responsible and leave it as nice or better than you found it. You should be able to look up the property in question at the tax assessor's office or online to see who actually owns it.

OP
OP
OhioPlugger

OhioPlugger

May 19, 2014
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did find the land on the county auditor's website and it listed the owner simply as State of Ohio so I'll take a drive out there and see if any signs are posted. If it's a go, no worries, it'll look sharp once I comb it over. :) Thanks for the reply Cuda!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I did find the land on the county auditor's website and it listed the owner simply as State of Ohio so I'll take a drive out there and see if any signs are posted. If it's a go, no worries, it'll look sharp once I comb it over. :) Thanks for the reply Cuda!

I agree with Mark's answer.

And interesting that you note that although it's state owned, yet it's "not a part of any park". Because some people have mistakingly read the state-by-state state parks listing (like the FMDAC lists, for example), and assume that means "all state land". But it DOESN'T. It just means state PARKS. And not all state land is state PARK land. There's other forms of state lands, which would not be bound to rules for state-parks.

You could certainly go knock yourself silly and find out what TYPE of "state land" it is if you wanted, and then meticulously go through THEIR rules (if any) to see if there's anything there stating "no metal detecting". Or find some desk-bound bureaucrat in that level/type of state land to ask "can I?", etc.... But to be honest with, not many of us would fret ourselves to that level. If it's not fenced, posted, and is, as you say, state land (and not park or sensitive historic site), then most people will just "go".

For example: have you already hiked to and reconn'd the site, with a physical look at it ? Then that tells me that the simple fact of being there, standing there, etc... (ie.: "access") is not in question. Then to me, detecting is just as innocuous and harmless as walking my dog or flying frisbees. So go find some gold coins and post some pictures! :headbang:

OP
OP
OhioPlugger

OhioPlugger

May 19, 2014
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hehe thanks Tom for the clarification. Like I said, I'm new to the scene so every bit of advice helps.

I haven't physically been there yet but it's in an extremely small town where my old elementary school was located so I'm definitely going to scout it out this weekend. I mentioned it isn't in a park only because, from the map, it isn't physically located inside a park or anything. So that's why I believe it's just simply "state land." Just a simple little plot of land where an old map showed a potential house.

Hopefully everything pans out and I can report back with some goodies! :)

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let the raping and pillaging begin! :laughing7:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Let the raping and pillaging begin! :laughing7:

Yes. And that "cultural heritage" will look mighty fine on his mantle place, right? :laughing7: And if the rest of that state's population would like to see it, they're MORE THAN WELCOME to go to ebay and bid on it, if ohio-plugger lists it for sale. Or to come over and see it on his mantle place! :headbang:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It will certainly look better displayed on his mantle than rotting away and unknown in the ground.

OP
OP
OhioPlugger

OhioPlugger

May 19, 2014
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hehe yep, I've been reading some of these "laws" and they're a little (maybe not a little) ridiculous. But whatdya gonna do I guess. :dontknow:

Either way, I think it's time to actually get a mantle piece so I have something for my displayin'! :laughing7:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
.... I've been reading some of these "laws" and they're a little (maybe not a little) ridiculous.....

Huh? What are you talking about ?? Didn't you just tell me the other day that your dad lost his boyscout ring there when he was a kid ?

offtrail

Apr 28, 2014
Ohio
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not trying to start something but land doesn't have to be posted to be off limits. This is a mistake people make, thinking land has to be posted to be private. Be smart and get permission that way you will be able to enjoy yourself and not looking over your shoulder. People rip signs down all the time so seeing no signs means nothing, talk to people that live in the area. More then likely they will know who to talk to...good luck and hope it works out for you...offtrail

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
off-trail, the way I understood the OP, was that he'd done a GIS search and determined the spots to be public land. Otherwise, yes, if it were private, then by all means "get permission". But if it's public, then ... no permission needed :)

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think it would be wise to make the distinction between "State land" and "Public land" if this discussion is to produce any real answers. Not all State land is public land.

Here in Arizona state lands are not "State" owned nor are they public. These lands are held in trust for 13 different beneficiaries (like schools and widows and orphans) and the use of the "State" lands are controlled by the various boards of trustees that administer them. These boards are not public nor are they officials of the state. Arizona has no public lands nor are the State lands controlled by the State.

In my experience most State Parks are leased lands. Municipal lands are never "public" under most, if not all, State laws. What many people consider to be "public" lands are not.

There are many definitions to the word "public". As the Supreme Court has pointed out many times it all depends on which "public" you are talking about.

The simple fact that a municipality or village is listed as the title holder on a tax lot does not necessarily mean that the land is any more public than your living room. Painting title as ownership, or particular lands as public because of what you presume to be public government involvement can leave you in a world of hurt. Best to do your own research since each State's laws vary and even different cities and towns have their own laws governing what is "public".

Any answer that is not specific to the property you are interested in could be wildly wrong. It's your personal legal obligation to know the status of any property you enter to detect. No one from this or any other forum will be there to back you up should their answer be wrong.

Before Tom in Salinas replies please understand that my experienced advice to research the property you are interested in detecting did not, and does not, imply that you must ask anyone "permission". Two very different subjects.

OP
OP
OhioPlugger

OhioPlugger

May 19, 2014
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Huh? What are you talking about ?? Didn't you just tell me the other day that your dad lost his boyscout ring there when he was a kid ?

Oh yeah, Dad has been wondering about that thing since I can remember. :laughing7:

I think it would be wise to make the distinction between "State land" and "Public land" if this discussion is to produce any real answers. Not all State land is public land.

Here in Arizona state lands are not "State" owned nor are they public. These lands are held in trust for 13 different beneficiaries (like schools and widows and orphans) and the use of the "State" lands are controlled by the various boards of trustees that administer them. These boards are not public nor are they officials of the state. Arizona has no public lands nor are the State lands controlled by the State.

In my experience most State Parks are leased lands. Municipal lands are never "public" under most, if not all, State laws. What many people consider to be "public" lands are not.

There are many definitions to the word "public". As the Supreme Court has pointed out many times it all depends on which "public" you are talking about.

The simple fact that a municipality or village is listed as the title holder on a tax lot does not necessarily mean that the land is any more public than your living room. Painting title as ownership, or particular lands as public because of what you presume to be public government involvement can leave you in a world of hurt. Best to do your own research since each State's laws vary and even different cities and towns have their own laws governing what is "public".

Any answer that is not specific to the property you are interested in could be wildly wrong. It's your personal legal obligation to know the status of any property you enter to detect. No one from this or any other forum will be there to back you up should their answer be wrong.

Before Tom in Salinas replies please understand that my experienced advice to research the property you are interested in detecting did not, and does not, imply that you must ask anyone "permission". Two very different subjects.

I actually stopped by the area in question on my way home from a trip today since it was on my way. It's a tough subject to understand and obviously I don't want to stumble onto any place where I'm now allowed to dig so I've been doing the best research I can. I managed to scout the area out but talked to someone who lived near the plot. He told me that he actually used to live there while his current house was being built and that it was in fact owned by the state. He also informed me that hunters frequent the area. Upon further investigation I found that the entire area (the plot I was interested in as well as all of the surrounding land) was considered a "wildlife area" (signage everywhere apparently) and that it was free to use for hunting to the public. I know hunting and detecting are two different can of worms but the only thing I can assume at this point is that it'd be safe.

Unfortunately, when I did pull into the place to take an even closer look, the foliage was way too thick so detecting there would have been an impossibility. I guess for now I'll just have to keep looking. My ultimate goal is to get a hold of someone who definitively knows the state laws here so that all those hazy areas can be cleared on my behalf so I'll keep at it. Literally every source I've come across says that if it's owned by Ohio you may hunt unless posted otherwise but I understand what you're saying Clay. I want to do everything possible to keep within legal boundaries.

I'll definitely report back if I manage to get in contact with someone who can lay it all down in simple terms.

Thanks again for all the wise words folks!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I think it would be wise to make the distinction between "State land" and "Public land" if this discussion is to produce any real answers. Not all State land is public land......

Clay-diggins, let's just put the analogy like this, to make matters simple:

A library may be "public land", right? Or the pentagon may be on "public land", right? Yet if you go to the library at 2am when it's closed, by entering through a window, then .... you're in trouble, right ? Despite the fact that's it's public property.

Or if you go into the pentagon and waltz through officials offices looking at sensitive papers, etc... you're in trouble. Despite that it's on public property.

Thus yes, I get it. There are some forms of public land that we can't be on. Or can't be there at certain times. Or can't do certain activities on them, etc....

But all of this is via the rules and laws governing those locations. And such info can be looked up. Like in the OP's case, he first determined it was state (ok, so far so good). And now he's gone a step further and even discovered the TYPE of state (ok, so far so good). Now that he knows it's a "wildlife area", where the public is indeed not dis-allowed from being on, then ... ok. If he further worries that somehow, someway, his particular activity (metal detecting) might be disallowed, he is welcome to look up that as well. And if he found nothing that said "no metal detecting", then presto, it's not prohibited.

The rules/laws governing sites, land, etc.... is all available for the public SOMEWHERE. In other words, no law is "secret", that you can't look up, and know. It's usually available on-line somewhere. And if not, you can ask the entity in question "where can I find a complete listing of the rules-of-use regarding such & such wild-life refuge. Perhaps they'll pass you a rule's pamphlet. Perhaps they'll direct you to where it is in pdf form on-line. Perhaps they'll direct you to the binder behind the front desk. Etc.... It's got to be SOMEWHERE for public viewing. Look it up for oneself.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread