Festival Permit to Metal Detect???

gberl001

Jun 17, 2014
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Minelab E-Trac (w/ Garrett Pro Pointer)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone ever heard of needing a festival permit to metal detect on village property? I thought I would do the right thing and contact the village before hand and now I'm regretting it. They claim (and they say they aren't even sure) I need a festival permit because I am "using" their land and it requires me to be insured so if anything were to happen they would not be liable. I asked how this was any different than "using" their land to shoot model rockets or play basketball and getting hurt and they said it was because I was going to be going back repeatedly and it's just the law.

Now, again, they said they weren't even sure (She said, 'so and so suggested that you needed this permit') so I'm going to contact them again and find out who might know. I wouldn't really care but like half the village needs to sign off on this paper, plus I need insurance and a $500 refundable deposit in addition to a $100 application fee.

Can anyone who has better knowledge of this stuff or more experience give me any pointers? I'm fairly certain it will end up that they were applying a law where it wasn't necessary but just to help aid my case.... I would understand if their issue was me digging and possibly leaving holes but they didn't even mention that part, just that it was the law.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is why you research local laws and don't ask...

Look up the local laws, if there is no law saying no metal detecting then go detecting. If police stop you say you research local laws and could not find any law against it.

Be sure you do not leave damage sod or open holes, learn how to recover targets so when your done no one can see where you have been...

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The rules pertaining to that piece of land should be written down somewhere. With a little research, you may have your answer. You might also check with the local detecting club to get their feedback on that.

OP
OP
gberl001

gberl001

Jun 17, 2014
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Minelab E-Trac (w/ Garrett Pro Pointer)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is why you research local laws and don't ask...

Look up the local laws, if there is no law saying no metal detecting then go detecting. If police stop you say you research local laws and could not find any law against it.

I hate to sound naive but I am when it comes to laws... where can I go to look up these laws, I assume some places have them electronically available but if not would they be in my town/village hall or the courthouse... just my initial guesses.

Thanks for the reply.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hate to sound naive but I am when it comes to laws... where can I go to look up these laws, I assume some places have them electronically available but if not would they be in my town/village hall or the courthouse... just my initial guesses.

Thanks for the reply.
Google is your friend....

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is a guy who sells hot dogs out of a stand at a local park. The last I spoke with him, they made him jump through flaming hoops to continue selling at the park including buying a million dollar insurance policy for his stand. I would be very surprised if he still sells there.

If this is public property then find their webpage and see if they have an online list of "rules and regulations". Sometimes these are not online but posted on signs at the property itself. Sometimes you really have to use Google and search for any rules they may have online. If they have nothing that prohibits metal detecting then go for it. When you start making phone calls you always have the risk of some pencil pusher worrying about people suing them when some kid running trips over your metal detector and telling you crap like you already have been.

Leave the big shovel at home (only use a small inconspicuous digging tool or probe), hunt at low traffic times like weekend mornings early (when the lady who told you that you need a permit is still sleeping off a hangover), and follow the detecting code of ethics. You won't have any problem if you do that.

If you dig too deep asking to hunt public property you will eventually get a "No". Remember that the squeaky wheel gets greased.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
gberl001, your post perfectly illustrates the following pyschological phenomenom:

"Sometimes no one cares .... TILL you ask"

You say: " I thought I would do the right thing and contact the village before hand ...."

But why isn't the "right thing" to do as the others here are suggesting: Look up the rules for yourself. If there is nothing that says "no metal detecting" in the rules, then presto, it's not dis-allowed. But you see the pickle you've gotten yourself into now is: The fact that you've put this in front of some pencil pushers for their "princely sanction", well guess what will happen the next time that bureaucrat sees another md'r in the park? He'll remember the earlier inquiry, and think "aha! there's one of *them*". And start booting others.

So in the future, look up rules for yourself. And sure: avoid lookie-lous who might gripe. I mean, just because a place might not have a specific rule that said "no detectors", still doesn't mean that you can or should waltz through at high traffic times, sticking out like a sore thumb, etc... Pick low traffic times. Because let's face it: detectors have ... uh .... "connotations" (that you might be about to leave a mess, etc...). So it's sort of like nose-picking: Not necessarily illegal, but .... we all sort of pick discreet times so as not to offend people. Right?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread