Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A long time ago when I first started detecting, I was hunting a church yard and was spotted by a maintenance worker who asked if I was digging holes in the ground..when I replied "little bitty ones!" He told me I was on private property. Before he had a chance to get really obnoxious I left.

If you're EVER in doubt, I mean if you think there's even a slight chance the property belongs to someone who may not want you there - either find out who owns it and get permission or just don't bother..if someone gives you the go ahead you'll get so much more enjoyment from the MDing experience..imagine not having to look over your shoulder every 5 minutes and taking your sweet time finding as much of the good stuff as you want without any hassle..man that's a great feeling.

HH,
Nat

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
EDDEKALB said:
eric in ks said:
You trespassed and got kicked out. What a shocker. Maybe you should have snook in at night and hunted on your knees. ::)
snook? =snuck

I say that I eased my way in, not snuck on public property. ;D

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ant said:
EDDEKALB said:
eric in ks said:
You trespassed and got kicked out. What a shocker. Maybe you should have snook in at night and hunted on your knees. ::)
snook? =snuck

I say that I eased my way in, not snuck on public property. ;D
honestly i don't think he is referring to you ant-man

sfinder

Jun 25, 2006
Fort Dodge, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Prizm V and DD Coil
Put yourself in the shoes of the owner. I know I wouldn't want someone on my property without permission. I know it's hard to get up the nerve to ask to hunt private property, but it's the right thing to do.

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
eric in ks said:
LMAO!!!! Ant, are you like -007 or something? On your knees? Did you strap your coil to your hand with some velcro and stick the box in a backpack? ;)

Seriously. Space is hard to find here. If it isn't posted, then, technically it's fair game until otherwise stated. Whether it causes a problem or not. Most of the vacant lots here are overgrown and/or have trash in them. If someone cares that I dig holes, on one, which I cover no matter where I am, then there are serious priority issues......

He who has never detected without permission, for any reason, please cast the first rusty nail......then step aside because I don't want to get hit by lightning with you ;)

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
TreasureTales said:
EDDEKALB said:
eric in ks said:
snook? =snuck

Technically, it should be sneaked. Snook is a fish. Snuck is slang.

Snook? Snuck, surely? I sneak, I snuck, I have snuck and am therefore a sneaker. I snake, I snook, I have snook and am therefore a snooker

I plagiarized the above comment... http://commentisfree.guardian.co.uk/dave_hill/2006/10/one_day_late_in_history.html

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
TokenFinder said:
eric in ks said:
LMAO!!!! Ant, are you like -007 or something? On your knees? Did you strap your coil to your hand with some velcro and stick the box in a backpack? ;)

Seriously. Space is hard to find here. If it isn't posted, then, technically it's fair game until otherwise stated. Whether it causes a problem or not. Most of the vacant lots here are overgrown and/or have trash in them. If someone cares that I dig holes, on one, which I cover no matter where I am, then there are serious priority issues......

He who has never detected without permission, for any reason, please cast the first rusty nail......then step aside because I don't want to get hit by lightning with you ;)

I start in the upright position, and if a light comes towards my way I stoop down, heheh. The only time I hunt in the low position is when the finds are close together, hehehehe.

As long as it Public Property and obviously not a protected or historical site, it fair game. You better know the Trespassing Law in you area before you start hunting to stay safe and out of trouble with the Law.

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
Snook? Snuck, surely? I sneak, I snuck, I have snuck and am therefore a sneaker. I snake, I snook, I have snook and am therefore a snooker

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha 8)

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greetings All,

I won't be signing up for a bombardment or bashing today, but to be honest there's one thing that really bothers me about this post, and that is the attitude that we are doing someone a favor by cleaning up all the trash. In reality, by letting us detect on their property, owners are doing US a favor. They don't care about the trash that is underground in most cases, because it isn't visible. So rationalizing about doing them a favor simply doesn't fly. If people only knew what had been recovered on private property with permission by detectorists in the last 40 years... I don't know if permission would be given so freely!

So, about getting permission... A great post to read is one that I responded to a good while ago:

(http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,57130.msg404977.html#msg404977)

But the original one I responded to on this site is better, I think:

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,34422.msg375823.html#msg375823

Now I saw someone earlier say never to mention "treasure hunting" when asking permission. I would enlarge that statement to say this: Even though it is used in print all the time in our detectin' magazines, NEVER use the word "hunting" in reference to what we do. People in rural areas are concerned #1 with trespassing #2 with hunting of any sort on their land and #3 with being bothered. I realized this last weekend when talking to a charming 90-year-old woman who kept calling my detector a "geiger counter." After she had given me permission to detect, I happened to let the "H" word slip once and then she immediately asked "Did you say 'hunting?'" I realized then and there that we should never, EVER use this word. I think if I had said I wanted to hunt for deer on her land she'd have flat turned me down. She has graciously let me detect her yard and 40 acres of fields around her late 18th century farmhouse... So this is just a word to the wise! "Would you ALLOW me to use my metal detector in your yard/field/etc. for an hour or two this evening?" is much better than "Would you mind if I hunted for some old coins around your place?"!!!! And by the way, I will always go back and talk to the property owner EVERY time I want to detect on their land. That way they get to know me and realize that I am an honest individual. This particlar elderly lady is a bottle collector, so I told her that any bottles I ran across I'd give her--and to be honest I'll probably give her a few oldies from my collection the next time I amble up to her door.

Regards,

Buckleboy

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
TreasureTales said:
Let the bombardment begin!

You guys who don't ask for permission FIRST are doing this hobby a lot of harm. And it makes me disgusted. When you own property, you learn that allowing trespassers on your land opens you up to lawsuits and other problems. Get permission FIRST, then you will not have to worry about anything, neither will the property owner, and our hobby will have a better reputation. IOW, don't be so selfish. Sheesh.

HOLY HOLY HOLY

I do not agree with the way and manner in which madfranks went about the detecting of this property, and I certainly don't agree with the smartness of his junk reply to the owner.

I also don't agree with the way and manner in which you attack him. This is not your politics thread, no need to get snippy. And don't try to lecture me on the legality of the situation, I'm an insurance agent, I know liability and you care correct, still no reason to act holier than thou.

Mark S.

Jan 25, 2005
I had permission from the property owner one time and still got told to leave! The husband gave me permission and ten minutes later the wife came home. She informed me that I did not get permission from "HER".

Mark S.

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
BuckleBoy said:
There's one thing that really bothers me about this post, and that is the attitude that we are doing someone a favor by cleaning up all the trash. In reality, by letting us detect on their property, owners are doing US a favor. They don't care about the trash that is underground in most cases, because it isn't visible. So rationalizing about doing them a favor simply doesn't fly. If people only knew what had been recovered on private property with permission by detectorists in the last 40 years... I don't know if permission would be given so freely!

Totally agree, and not snippy. See, treasuretales, outside of the politics forum you use your inside voice.

BuckleBoy said:
Now I saw someone earlier say never to mention "treasure hunting" when asking permission. I would enlarge that statement to say this: Even though it is used in print all the time in our detectin' magazines, NEVER use the word "hunting" in reference to what we do. People in rural areas are concerned #1 with trespassing #2 with hunting of any sort on their land and #3 with being bothered. I realized this last weekend when talking to a charming 90-year-old woman who kept calling my detector a "geiger counter." After she had given me permission to detect, I happened to let the "H" word slip once and then she immediately asked "Did you say 'hunting?'" I realized then and there that we should never, EVER use this word. I think if I had said I wanted to hunt for deer on her land she'd have flat turned me down. She has graciously let me detect her yard and 40 acres of fields around her late 18th century farmhouse... So this is just a word to the wise! "Would you ALLOW me to use my metal detector in your yard/field/etc. for an hour or two this evening?" is much better than "Would you mind if I hunted for some old coins around your place?"!!!! And by the way, I will always go back and talk to the property owner EVERY time I want to detect on their land. That way they get to know me and realize that I am an honest individual. This particlar elderly lady is a bottle collector, so I told her that any bottles I ran across I'd give her--and to be honest I'll probably give her a few oldies from my collection the next time I amble up to her door.

Also agree. Always use the terms "metal detect" and "metal detecting". Not treasure hunting, not coin shooting and not hunting. Treasure should not come into a conversation, nor hunting nor shooting.
I make it a habit in the case of elderly people to stop by and show them things such as buttons or low value coins that I may have found. Give them things that you might put in a box and bring out, a button or a late date indian head. It gives them a sense of being involved. It also gets them excited sometimes, which is good to see. And also, the most important thing, it gets them to loosen their lips and talk about days gone by that might hold tips to other places to hit up. Off of one old women I have gotten at least 10 other places that produce fairly well, just by being nice and keeping her "involved".

Also, it certainly never pays to be a smartass. Do not piss in your own cheerios if you know what I mean. Madfranks, don't ever get mad and say things like the junk line you threw out. Yes, that guy was mad at the time. He had a right to be. But you could have scampered off and approached him a few days later and apologized for being there, you got the address mixed up or whatever. Bring a gift certificate for a local eatery as a peace offering, talk about the hobby. Explain you can work up a no liability clause that you would sign. Lots of other ways to approach a bad situation instead of making it worse.

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
Mark S. said:
I had permission from the property owner one time and still got told to leave! The husband gave me permission and ten minutes later the wife came home. She informed me that I did not get permission from "HER".

Mark S.

That happened to me and some of my friends in San Diego back in the mid 1960's. We where collecting pinecones with the permission of the husband. As the husband was in a shed getting us a rake she came out of the house with a shotgun and we ran before we could explain.

We went home and told our parents, they then called police. The police then went over and investigated the situation and alls well that ends well.

If you don't want holes in your body, stay off of other people’s property if you don’t have permission.

HH

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It can be hard to ask for perission but you really need too...doesnt it feel alot better to not have to look over your shoulder in fear of being kicked off? I used to do this when I was younger but the older I get, the more respect I have for other folks land. I have been run off by some mean sons a bi!@#$% in the past... ;)

HH, Gary

OP
OP
madfranks

madfranks

May 15, 2006
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
For the record, it was a patch of grass next to the street that was near an old building in the older part of downtown. No signs, no fences, no idea who it belonged to. I figured it was public! I suppose I could have researched the history and property titles to the land but for a quick hunt I just figured it was safe. Look at the diagram below to see what I mean.

Attachments

• k_c3501872.JPG
    k_c3501872.JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 1,078

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I suppose there is a posability,
the Guy just decided he owns it since he mows it.

Check with the City.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread