OP
OP
madfranks

madfranks

May 15, 2006
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
BuckleBoy said:
I won't be signing up for a bombardment or bashing today, but to be honest there's one thing that really bothers me about this post, and that is the attitude that we are doing someone a favor by cleaning up all the trash.

Of course we're doing them a favor!! What else do you call it when someone is willing to clean up the trash in your area for free! Yes we get some goodies out of it too, so it's mutually beneficial! One thing I'm proud of is that whenever I detect I keep and subsequently throw away all the trash I find, I'm sure it's the same with most of us. And so why not consider it a favor? Other people get paid to clean up trash or they have to do it for community service, we do it for free.

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ant said:
TokenFinder said:
eric in ks said:
You trespassed and got kicked out. What a shocker. Maybe you should have snook in at night and hunted on your knees. ::)
LMAO!!!! Ant, are you like -007 or something? On your knees? Did you strap your coil to your hand with some velcro and stick the box in a backpack? ;)

Seriously. Space is hard to find here. If it isn't posted, then, technically it's fair game until otherwise stated. Whether it causes a problem or not. Most of the vacant lots here are overgrown and/or have trash in them. If someone cares that I dig holes, on one, which I cover no matter where I am, then there are serious priority issues......

He who has never detected without permission, for any reason, please cast the first rusty nail......then step aside because I don't want to get hit by lightning with you ;)

I start in the upright position, and if a light comes towards my way I stoop down, heheh. The only time I hunt in the low position is when the finds are close together, hehehehe.

As long as it Public Property and obviously not a protected or historical site, it fair game. You better know the Trespassing Law in you area before you start hunting to stay safe and out of trouble with the Law.
I was just joshing you Ant ;) I couldn't resist the -007 crack in light of what a guy would look like while doing that. It is funny that you mentioned it, because, all of the schools around here have had fences around them for 15-20 years. We have joked about that, around here, as being the only way to be able to detect the "prison yard" without permission. ;) A proverbial "deer :o in the headlights" look.

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of course we're doing them a favor!! What else do you call it when someone is willing to clean up the trash in your area for free! Yes we get some goodies out of it too, so it's mutually beneficial! One thing I'm proud of is that whenever I detect I keep and subsequently throw away all the trash I find, I'm sure it's the same with most of us. And so why not consider it a favor? Other people get paid to clean up trash or they have to do it for community service, we do it for free.

Madfranks, that is only true on public beaches/playgrounds where u pickup all the harmful items that could cut or injure people or children. On private property sometimes the owner doesn`t care what is just beneath the surface of the ground, its there let it rust away. So on private property no we aren`t doing them a favor, but on publc areas beaches playgrounds we are doing the children a favor by helping to protect them from injury.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
madfranks said:

Franks,I'd like to offer another way to view this whole issue. I know from personal experience that getting kicked out sucks, but let's put our pride aside now. Here's my stance: Our trash collecting, as it were, helps US first and foremost, since we don't have to dig it back up a second or third time on subsequent trips, and it allows us to hear deeper targets that may be masked by the trash in the meantime. So I don't think it's a matter of being kind to the land owner by picking up trash that wasn't even visible to them or harmful to them in any way in the first place! We do it because it makes our life easier on a return trip and it bags us better finds over time! So as a byproduct of what we do, it cannot be a favor. It is nothing really special to be "proud" of. All but the very unscrupulous, novice detectorists do it. It makes us better at what we do (not in any moral sense, but rather in terms of how good our finds are--as well as how efficiently we recover them). The BIG difference is that others get paid to clean up VISIBLE trash. For example, I have never heard of anyone placing an ad in a paper offering pay for a detectorist to come and clean up all the underground trash out of their yard. So if the "favor" is something that people don't need or want in the first place how can it be a "favor"? (If you want to test this for truth, you could always bring a weed whacker to a random house on a Sunday afternoon and start weed-eating around their front fence row. I wonder what the owners will say to you? And that is something that they might actually need!) Oh, and one more thing... We don't really do what we do for "free"... Think of all the coins, jewelry, and relics that are recovered on private property and tell me that landowners haven't "paid" handsomely, at least in an indirect way for such a "useful" service as "trash removal."

Buckleboy

OP
OP
madfranks

madfranks

May 15, 2006
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
All I'm saying is, if I was a property owner, and a metal detectorist asked for permission to detect and I granted him/her that permission, once he/she was done and showed me all the garbage he/she recovered from my property, I, for one, would definitely consider that a favor done for me. True, I might not have ever known it was there to begin with, but now that I know and I know it's gone, I would be happy.

jorge del norte

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2005
nc
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex - Tesoro Conquistador Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
personally i like to stay well hidden like the targets in the ground........

i now look for easy in and easy out spots only........last year i got confronted twice......
but i was pushing it.........i don't do that anymore.....inside i felt almost sick.........
i almost quit.......

but i will say this.......one of the persons who threatened me was not the owner, and lied.......i know this because i later researched the owner.......come to find out she has been in my a$$ on a different occasion.......some sort of neighborhood watch dog.....she broke up a keg party my friend had.......years before.........haha!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread