Got kicked out!

madfranks

May 15, 2006
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Before class this morning I decided to head out early and detect a small, open plot of land that I've been seeing on my way to class lately. I got out on to the dirt and began digging trash signals everywhere. I realized two things: one is that this area hasn't been detected in a very long time, if ever, due to the trash I was pulling up. Secondly, I knew I had to get through all the trash if I wanted the good stuff. So I was digging up old caps and (old and new) pull tabs and foil and every thing you can think of when a guy pulls up to the business next to the plot and tells me that that's his plot and I can't be on it. He asks me what I'm doing anyway and I tell him I'm cleaning up his plot of land hoping to find an old lost coin or ring or something, and he tells me to get the *$&% off his property before he calls the cops. So I take the handful of trash I have in my bag and say "should I put all this back before I go?" He doesn't want me to put his trash back but he does want me to leave. Dang it! I know there would be some good stuff there, but now I'll never know. This would have been mutually beneficial for both of us; I would have found some keepers and he would eventually have a clean plot of land with no garbage in it. Oh well, the man wants his trash, he can have it.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're going to get bombarded with 1000 "get permission first" replies now. ;D
Sorry to hear you got booted.
-MM-

Rich in Central PA

May 28, 2003
Shamokin Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't sweat it, forget about that site, it happens to everyone. Each one of us has been there, ( I have) and got chased, even though they won't admit it. Nextime, perhaps permission in advance might get you in a better site without any hassles at least you'll know up front without looking over your shoulder. All they can do is say NO or YES. Good luck........Rich

Maryland Searcher

Mar 4, 2007
Maryland, Pennsylvania line
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT (New model)
Sorry to hear about you getting kicked off the land, but me even being a newbie here found it pays to ask first and then detect instead of doing the opposite.

I got permission to hunt a farm that was abandoned and falling down about a block from my house. I detected it four days in a row with no problems when a guy pulls up and asks me if I had permission to "do that". I told him yes, I called and spoke to the woman who co-owns the property about a week ago. I gave him the owners last name and stated I had the phone number in my wallet and cell phone on me if he wanted to check. He said no, it was okay. The owner asked him to keep an eye on the property for him. I thanked him for his concern and we bid farewell.

Come to find out, HE WAS THE OWNER and I had spoke to his wife. She never said anything to him about my call. Now I have permission to hunt the fields which total about 50 acres. They are going to be sold in building lots, but Ill bid my time for right now till they turn over the soil.

It usually pays to be up-front and go by the rules. At least as far as not getting a bad rep, even though its not right alot of us get one anyway because of a few who dont only bend or break the rules, but do everything opposite from what would normally get them permission in the first place.

Who knows? Maybe if you call the guy or make an appointment in his office and explain what your doing in a little more detail he may change his mind. Appologize first for not asking permission or say you strayed from where you know you could hunt and he might be a little more receptive. Especially if you explain you are picking up the trash as you go and not causing any harm to the grounds in the process. Maybe even stopping a liability suit in the process from someone cutting themselves on some of the metal pieces you have pulled out of the ground (especially if there are no trespassing signs posted!).

Just my 2 cents. Maybe it couldnt hurt??

You're going to get bombarded with 1000 "get permission first" replies now.

I guess you called that one ModernMiner!!! I guess I started it off!

[/quote]

rosevelt

Oct 22, 2004
Yah apperently you should get permission first. I have never gotten permission i just go. I have been kicked off a few times last year. I just dont no how to start to ask for permission i'm afraid after the first word i say they will just reject my request! does anyone have any good ways of asking for permission?

northeast hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2005
NEW HAMPSHIRE
rosevelt said:
Yah apperently you should get permission first. I have never gotten permission i just go. I have been kicked off a few times last year. I just dont no how to start to ask for permission i'm afraid after the first word i say they will just reject my request! does anyone have any good ways of asking for permission?
If you go to the poll forum there is a great thread there about permission(the voting booth)

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
rosevelt said:

yeah, just go up and ask ! Just say you have an interesting hobby, youll haul off the trash and won't leave holes and hopefully they will say yes, if not move on the next one. Stay away from well manicured lawns, they will always say no unless you know them.

Maryland Searcher

Mar 4, 2007
Maryland, Pennsylvania line
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT (New model)
Upfront and honest, but choose your words carefully. Dont tell them your "treasure hunting". Tell them you are looking for artifacts and historical objects. If it happens some of the historical objects are gold, silver, coins and relics so be it!

I have found property that was for sale and calle the owners telling them what I would like to do, no harm would come to their property from me AND I would clean the property of refuse from the road AND keep an eye on the property so no one else would do anything to it. I even went as far as to give them my address and offer my services should they ever lose a ring or their car keys and need to find them in a hurry.

Im a newbie, but work with the public so I am pretty darn good on the phone. Worked for three sites so far. I hope it keeps up! Good luck!

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't always get permission. I live a Houston and there is constant construction everywhere so there is always some old plot of land in need of detecting. Spur of the moment hunts on dozed land is a go for me if there is not a "No Trespassing" sign in plain view. Just because the land is privately owned doesn't mean that stepping onto the land is trespassing. At least not until warned or ignoring a warning to leave. Go where you will in Texas and take your chances. Carrying a copy of the law is handy and cops know the trespassing laws well. I know I sound like a jerk, but, if it's historical and you don't want me you better post it. If asked to leave I would. After all, it isn't my right to be upset for being kicked off land that isn't mine. If someone were to get irate I would just ignore them and leave.

Check out this link: http://www.plainvanillashell.com/archivelegal.asp?id=574

I dug a bunch of stuff a while back. All of it between the edges of the sidewalks and the street. All the houses on one and a half city blocks were dozed to the sand. 20s era houses. There was a 'no trespassing' sign on evey single one of the large live oaks along the sidewalks. All the oaks were within the sidewalk boundaries. As much as I would like to ave hit those lots......I didn't. All that stuff should only be two inches or less deep by now.....oh how it pains. The signs said 'keep out' so I did....what a waste.....

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ModernMiner said:
You're going to get bombarded with 1000 "get permission first" replies now. ;D
Sorry to hear you got booted.
-MM-

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
Yeah, if the property wasn't posted or fenced you should have park in an unconscious place and hit it at night. Never hunt property that is fenced or posted, and if someone ask you to leave, be polite and do so.

Sometimes I hunt at night; I use a small led light on a key chain that I attach to a belt loop. When I find a target, I sort it out first, and then I check it out with the light.

I've found public spots to hunt like in downtown areas. I hunted some of them on my knees so I wouldn't attract attention. It's best to keep some spots secrets. I’ve found more than a few very productive spots by spying MD'ers in broad daylight.

Like these MD’er I spotted back in Aug and Sept respectively.

HH

Attachments

• DD Dude 1.JPG
    DD Dude 1.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 1,407
  • MD Dude 2.JPG
    MD Dude 2.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 1,385

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NEVER HUNT WITHOUT PERMISSION !!!!!!

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
eric in ks said:
You trespassed and got kicked out. What a shocker. Maybe you should have snook in at night and hunted on your knees. ::)
snook? =snuck

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
eric in ks said:
You trespassed and got kicked out. What a shocker. Maybe you should have snook in at night and hunted on your knees. ::)

I only hunt public property and I don't need permission for that thank you.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SUR 13 = suranio 13's great gang ::)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread