Gettin wise around here......

toni&kirk

Oct 2, 2013
South Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
2 Garrett Ace 150's
Two cheap pin-pointers.
Two long handle sand scoops.
Too much work and not enough time to dig.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
In Florida you have to be careful with construction sites.

When posted as a construction site, trespassing becomes a felony.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
The construction guys are putting up chain link to keep us out of fresh diggings and new construction. I always ask permission but there are several here that snipe at night and don't ask for permission.

I think you are mistaken about the intent of the fences around old-town demolition /construction sites. They are not there necessarily to keep md'rs out. They are for a) liability reasons (so no one can slip on a bananna peel and sue them), and b) for recyclable metal theft, equipment theft, etc... That is becoming a big issue in the past few decades. Recently recyclable metal theft is on the rise.

I highly doubt the geek with a metal detector fishing for unseen things under the ground (a coin or a button, etc...) is of major concern. I'm not saying that you and I aren't caught up in the same snare (because, yes, the fence technically applies to all). But just saying that .... no .... it's not put there because of md'rs.

If there is ANY truth to the notion that it ever had anything to do with any form of TH'ing, then it's going to be about Bottle diggers. Not md'rs. Because bottle diggers are the ones that can make a big mess. And even if they too filled in with 6 ft. deep hole, yet ..... it's now fiddled with the compaction of the ground in that spot, and brought up goofy glass shards to the surface, etc.... Contrast to an md'r, and most of us can leave utterly no clue or trace.

OP
OP
toni&kirk

toni&kirk

Oct 2, 2013
South Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
2 Garrett Ace 150's
Two cheap pin-pointers.
Two long handle sand scoops.
Too much work and not enough time to dig.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm aware of construction protocol. I'm also aware of the other detectors in this town and know a few personally. We ALL jump in the first new hole we see. This town is small enough everyone knows everyone and what they are up to. I try to educate as I go cause I'm a by the book kind of person. I said what I said because the construction guys see us coming and they are sick of us. AND some of us don't follow the rules. This is not old construction or demolition,they are tearing up the road for a round-about in a low traffic, residential area. Just letting people know how we are getting stymied HERE.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
toni&kirk, when I say that the fences have nothing to do with md'rs, I'm not trying to say that .... this means they welcome md'rs with "open arms". Because, sure, the old song & dance of liability. And that we are simply caught up in the same snare (whether or not they personally have any issues with the concept of md'ing). All I'm saying is that even if there WEREN'T anyone in your locale being seen scuttling into old-town demo. sites, trust me: the fences would still be there. So in THAT sense is what I meant about fences not being designed with us in mind, or that they have any personal beef about this hobby inparticular, etc....

swatty

Jul 3, 2014
Schuylkill County Pa.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In Florida you have to be careful with construction sites.

When posted as a construction site, trespassing becomes a felony.

OUCH!!! I'm not one for trespassing but that'll really keep you on your toes when it comes to property lines.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread