Florida beaches

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Hi Aussie. I'll let the Fl. guys chime in on that question, as I'm across the continent from there :) But there's been no shortage of this question on many many forums. Just go to ANY beach section, on ANY metal detecting forum, and the question comes up again and again, *just* about Florida. So you'll find it's been answered many times.

The reason I came on your thread though, is to point out that you'll notice that rarely does anyone ever ask this question about other states. Have you ever noticed that? I mean there's an entire eastern and western seaboard, with multiple other states that have scores of beaches. Yet only Florida ever gets this question asked again and again.

I believe the reason for this is the following psychology: It started way-back-when in a logical genesis, since, of course, Florida was (and still is) the site of shipwrecks laden with goodies. You know, the old Mel Fisher type yarns. And naturally there's going to be some sort of scrutiny about "claims" or boundries, etc..., so that not any yahoo can go tromping on a historically sensitive in-progress study/dig. Right ? But then notice how human psychology works from there on out: No matter HOW isolated that spot or incident might have been, yet the mere fact that word leaks out that "such & such site on Florida beaches is off-limits", then that becomes the only notion in people's minds. You know, because no one "wants to be arrested" and so forth, right? So it merely spawns the decades of asking that follows. Understandably so, I suppose, but it never stops the questions. For example, the mere fact that a question even arises (like this thread for instance), simply spawns FUTURE such questions.

Notice that the recent flap about MA was put-to-rest. Any idea to forbid detectors on state beaches there, was rescinded. Yet even though it went away, guess what's already happening? JUST LIKE FLORIDA (where the psychology started 30+ yrs. ago), people are ALREADY coming on forums asking "Can I detect MA beaches?". And no matter how many times you answer it, the mere fact of a question stays in the back of others minds. Then later, when they think about going to MA, they say to themselves "gee, is it legal?". See how this spreads? Funny how that psychology works.

And the sad part about this psychology is, that not only are people asking on forums of other md'rs, but they're also .... no doubt .... going to rangers, pencil pushers, archies, etc.... asking "can I?". So you can see it's only a matter of time where it becomes a self-fulfilling cycle. Ie.: someone in bureaucracy going to ask themselves "gee we ought to make a law" (to "address this pressing issue" that keeps coming across their desk). So it's almost as if the best thing we can do for our hobby, is to go delete every single thread, on every single forum, that ever had to do with "bans" or "laws" in any place. So as to put to rest this "gee didn't I hear a rumor?" type psychology from being self-perpetuating. Yes, I know that's not possible. And yes, I realize questions are often relevant about legalities. But just saying how it only feeds on itself.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
There's a lot of beach in Florida.

Care to narrow it down a bit?

The rules on the east coast are a bit different than the rules on the west coast.

Fair question~

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
...The rules on the east coast are a bit different than the rules on the west coast....

True. And the "rules" are different from state to state , beach to beach, etc..., despite what "coast" they are on.

And even if refined to just be for the "east coast", what about the other eastern seaboard states ? What is your theory as to why Florida seems to always get this question, but not the others ? Like say ... the Carolinas? Maine? Virginia? etc.... Certainly they have lots of beaches too.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
In florida ALMOST all the beaches are open to hunting. From the toe of the dunes (never dig in the dunes) to the low water line.

Some of the beach is in a state park. You will know if you are in a state park. Since the manager of the park is the final say, you have to ask at the ranger office. Some allow beach hunting, some do not.

Some beaches are in city parks. Some require a permit (usually free) to show you have read the rules.

Some beaches are in historic area, or archeological sites and no digging allowed.

The east coast has paid treasure lease areas. You can't go in the water there.

The west coast is pretty much open, no leases, go in the water till you start blowing bubbles.

If the OP intends to hunt in the Wabasso area, the rules are much different than the Clearwater area...

So on and so forth.

I've been to Maine a bunch. I've never seen tourists flock to the icy waters to metal detect for vacation. IMO the more questions come about Florida as it's more of a destination beach area.

Some people like to be sure they are following the local laws so they can have a good time without worrying about getting into trouble with the local governmental agencies.

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
.... I've been to Maine a bunch. I've never seen tourists flock to the icy waters to metal detect for vacation. IMO the more questions come about Florida as it's more of a destination beach area....

Well there's a stab at my question. Sure, I'll grant you: Florida beaches are more of a vacationers destination (versus the carolinas, maine, etc...). Still though, there's a heck of a lot of people that hunt the entire eastern seaboard. And even after factoring in the popularity/vacationers factor, ..... it still seems that only Florida ever gets this question. Or look at it this way: SO TOO is California a beach vacationers dream (for parts of it anyhow). Yet notice you never see the question come up. That's the only oddity I'm pointing out. I'm not saying there's not rules, or that curiousity isn't justified to seek answers, etc.... I'm just asking where is this curiousity (as opposed to other states) coming from .

And as for CA, you might rightly point out lack of regulations (or lack of enforcement anyhow) on our state-of-CA administered beaches. Ok, fine. But why aren't there legions of people coming on forums to ask that, and thus get that answer ? That's all I'm trying to point out.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Better he asks here than from some self-appointed guardian of the sand.

OP
OP
A

Aussie

Nov 2, 2009
Thanks for the replies, has given me something to think about for sure.
Seems it comes down to common sense and having a good look before starting.
Think I will stick to more isolated beaches which I tend to prefer anyway. If such beaches exist.
Once again Ty for the input.

goldkey

May 21, 2013
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta/Macro Anfibio Multi / Nokta Fors Core /Ace 250 - w/ 9"x12" Coil /
Whites TRX Bullseye
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies, has given me something to think about for sure.
Seems it comes down to common sense and having a good look before starting.
Think I will stick to more isolated beaches which I tend to prefer anyway. If such beaches exist.
Once again Ty for the input.

If you stick to isolated beaches you won't be finding a whole lot, unless you're looking for sea shells.
I was just down in Central Florida last week. All the beaches are open for hunting.....just don't go anywhere near Cape Canaveral for obvious reasons.
Hunt where all the people are....that's where the "goods" are. Don't go up into the dunes and if near the Treasure Coast, don't go in the water. The Treasure Coast extends
from Sebastian down to Jupiter.
If you go early in the morning or late in the evening there won't be droves of people laying on the beach. To me, it doesn't matter. I have as much right to be there metal detecting as they have to be there doing whatever they do. I am respectful of other people and will keep my distance from them. I hunted last week on Melbourne Beach in the middle of the day. People will ask..."Hey, you found anything?" One lady ask that while I was there. Then she told me a story about how her father-in-law found a ring appraised at $10,000 on a West Palm beach a few weeks earlier.
I used my Ace 250 and was surprised at how well it did on the beach. I had to adjust sensitivity over the wet sand....but hey, it worked. Since then I acquired the CZ-20 and will be going back for some more beach action. Have fun in Florida and don't worry about detecting on the beaches. Concentrate on where the people are and hunt those areas well.

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Detecting on state lands is different and the removal of historical objects from state lands is prohibited. Some coastal state parks do not allow metal detecting at all, some will allow it between the shoreward toe of the dunes and the mean high water line, but only for modern objects.

As for metal detecting in the water, all lands that are below the mean high water line are considered state sovereignty submerged lands and, while it is not against the law to possess a metal detector in the water, it IS against the law to disturb the bottom sediments. So, if something is detected, it would be illegal to dig for it.

Florida Public Archaeology Network - Frequently Asked Questions

Search this page for treasure...
Chapter 267 - 2012 Florida Statutes - The Florida Senate

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Detecting on state lands is different and the removal of historical objects from state lands is prohibited. ....

So too is there such verbage in CA's state park's dept rules. I mean, duh, I can't think of any state which promotes the "removal of historical cultural objects". So naturally, that verbage is obligatory boiler plate language in each of the state park's dept's codes, I bet.

But what's odd is, that it's never been enforced or cared about on our state of CA administered beaches. So *technically* there's no real reason why the same text wouldn't apply to objects found on their state beaches, as in their in-land parks. Yet realistically, it's not the case. You can hunt state of CA beaches here till you're blue in the face.

Yet I suppose, if enough md'rs went to Sacramento asking enough archies : Can I keep this barber dime ? I'm sure someone would get their panties in a wad, and issue a B.O.L. that md'rs aren't wanted on the beaches. Afterall, gasp, you *might* find something over 50 yrs. old (oh the horror!).

So you tell me: should we go "seek clarification" ? Or leave good enough alone? Obviously to leave good enough alone. If the situation is different in FL, that it's truly known and cared about by rank and file lifeguards and rangers, fine, then so be it. But if so, I bet the only reason it ever came to be that way, was way back then, just as in my CA example, enough people went and made a nuisance of themselves asking "can I?"

OP
OP
A

Aussie

Nov 2, 2009
Ok, didn't mean to open Pandora's box here.
Was just hoping to get some feedback from people that have detected on Florida beaches
The only reason I asked about Florida is because that's where I am going, had I been heading to CA and checking out some old goldfield sites I would have asked the same question.
Like geez man don't go there they will take your car, detector etc.
I'm looking forward to the trip and am sure I will have fun in the sun, again thanks for the input from all concerned.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Aussie, Sorry to use your question as a platform for a bee-in-my-bonnett.

Ok then, on subject, here's some Florida advice tips:

a) don't stick your fingers in light sockets.

b) don't buy rolex watches from strange men standing on street corners wearing trench coats.

have fun there ! :icon_thumleft:

tomsright

Jul 2, 2013
NatureCoast Florida
Detector(s) used
A/T PRO, 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best tip I can give is if you hear thunder get your butt off the beach NOW!!! And wear sun screen.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
99% of Florida beaches are open for detecting. As long as your not hunting in the water on treasure coast beaches in the Sebastian Inlet, Vero Beach to Ft Pierce area your good, even there you can hunt toe of dunes to mean low tide line....

Just go hunting and enjoy..

Last edited:

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TH is right, on the east coast here, 99% of the beach is open to hunt. If You are coming to Miami/Ft. Laud area, about the only place off limits is the John Lloyd state park on the south side of the Port Everglades shipping channel outlet. You are not allowed to detect the sand there, but, can detect in the water, from the high tide mark on out.
If you are going to be in the Florida Keys, whatever you do, do not dig up the sea grass, aka, turtle grass, or ANY coral whatsoever. They fine you a lot of money if you do plus it's just not nice to do it. If you rent a boat, please please memorize this rhyme.

Bleu blue sail on through
Green green lean and mean
Brown brown run aground
white white, you just might. ( but more than likely you'll bottom out, get stuck, try to get out, suck sand all up in the intake, have to be towed by SeaTow, get a bill in the thousands, and possibly get fined for tearing up the ocean bottom).
It's all very shallow all over down there and the bottom is deceptive, if you're not used to it, or know where you are.

Good luck and be cool. It's ok to let us know where abouts you going. I don't think anyone will stalk you down and some in the area, may be willing to meet up with you and show you around some.
Safe travels, GL & HH!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I figured it out one day, there is approximately 663 miles of beaches in Florida and about 20 miles or so of Treasure beaches off limits in the water. That is about 3%, there are a few, very few private beaches so at least 95% of Fl beaches are open for detecting...

I said 99% but 95% us a lot more accurate.

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Private beaches? I didn't think there was such a thing here in the USA.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Private beaches? I didn't think there was such a thing here in the USA.
I remember reading an article several years ago that there were a couple tiny private beaches that were grandfathered in but I would have to search to find it again.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread