$100 Citation and almost 10 cents!

Tokomo

Feb 23, 2007
Los Angeles CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
My friend Hangnail and I decided to go out and do some MDing today in the light rain. Everything was going great until Officer stickler here showed up and found us vandalizing the property. We explained to him about all the trash we were collecting for the park, but he didn't seem to care. He went back to his Justice Mobile and wrote us both a $50 Citation for "Digging" from local Ordinance 2.31(a). He even took pictures of where we dug to monitor the grass to see if we need to be fined further. I guess I am going to have to take a trip to Home Depot to pick up a watering can! ...Ill monitor that grass as well!

I almost forgot to mention that I found 5 pennies! They are in the tumbler as we speak.

Attachments

• Officer.jpg
    Officer.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 3,214

Sheldius

Mar 15, 2007
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Minelab E-trac, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, got to watch out for those local ordinances! Sorry to hear you had problems. Stick to permissions from private owners in that town/county. And don't get discouraged.

If you would, list the town so others know.

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
:P Not knowing the local ordinances: Free
8) Detecting anyway and finding 5 pennies: Free
:-[ Getting caught by Officer Stickler: $50.00

Taking a picture of his Justice Mobile and posting it on the internet: Priceless! ;D

Note: I do not advocate not knowing the rules... or scamming anyone. Oh well on getting busted - but great job on the photo!

OP
OP
T

Tokomo

Feb 23, 2007
Los Angeles CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
The town was Naperville, IL. It has a great history that goes back into the early 1800's, but I guess we will have to find permission elsewhere.

Wedding ring! That would have been a good one. I think they just wanted to throw the book at a couple young guys tho!

KenPa

Apr 7, 2006
Easton, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Wow sorry to hear that. I usually have alot of respect and would agree with the police enforcing the law but I think a warning would have done just fine. Good Luck

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250
Sorry to hear that...

I have found in IL you have to check more than most States. Many cities have regulations against digging(NOT detecting) and some are harsh. ALWAYS check and see. Most cities you won't have any problem, but some, as you found out are watching for us!! Just get there ahead of time and ask for regs on Metal Detecting thier Parks/sidewalks!! Good Luck!!

Wasabi

Nov 7, 2005
Brevard County, FL ~ USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalinbur II,White's Beach Hunter ID 300, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher F75, Tesoro Golden UMax, Whites 4900/D, Bounty Hunter IV, Bounty Hunter Big Bud
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Tokomo,
Where is that location so that I know to avoid it. I too live in Illinois around the Chicago area, but further West in the Burbs.

Revised Post:
Ohhh. I see you already posted the location in Naperville, I am right next door in Plainfield. Ouch!!!
I will be careful not to hunt there.
:-\

Hangnail

Feb 23, 2007
Yeah, this is the first time I went out and found 8 cents in clad and a 50 dollar citation. It was a great time! I'm glad I brought my keychain camera for just such an occation. I wanted to ask if we should put all the pop tabs and bottle tops back into the ground where we found them but he was already upset with me because I made a comment about how some people don't think and just follow what the book says to make the county some extra cash while other people use sound judgement to decide what "wrong-doing" really is. Well, I didn't say it so nicely when I was speaking to him though. Either way, not checking the rules is a rookie mistake, this is only our 4th time out MDing.

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Have you looked up the reference...?

I'm sure if he bothered to write the citation, it's legit. But sometimes the officer's own interpretation is incorrect. A phone call to the DA or attorneys representing that municipality can give you exact guidance covering all the properties they control, and even write permission slips/contracts with you to detect where they will allow it. In addition... if the Town Councel sees fit, they can also write you permission where there is none if they agree to let you after interviews or signed agreements are settled.

Or, maybe it's easier to go elsewhere and not bother, but it never hurts to ask...

"Always get permission from the person who has the authority to kick you out." - Unknown

T

TreasureTales

An expensive lesson to learn. FYI: Don't even think about federal lands - illegally detecting, and recovery of items, on them can get you time in the pen.

Wasabi

Nov 7, 2005
Brevard County, FL ~ USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalinbur II,White's Beach Hunter ID 300, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher F75, Tesoro Golden UMax, Whites 4900/D, Bounty Hunter IV, Bounty Hunter Big Bud
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tokomo,
One other word of advice to consider...

Code of Ethics: http://gometaldetecting.com/Code-of-Ethics.htm

Metal Detecting Code of Ethics:
Why have a Treasure Hunting Code of Ethics? We have a "Code of Ethics" to define accepted or acceptable behaviours, to promote high standards in the hobby of metal detecting, and to provide a benchmark for detecting members to use for self evaluation. We need to establish a framework for professional behaviour and responsibilities, as well as a sign of maturity.
Most detectorists that are associated with a metal detecting club have these same "Code of Ethics." However, there are some detectorists that seem to lack consideration for others and other people's property, and they leave holes wherever they go. They give all detectorists a bad reputation. That's why they are banning metal detecting in so many places. We stress more than anything to leave a place better than when you got there.

Metal Detecting Code of Ethics
No leaving of holes and trash you dug up behind.
Always ask permission to hunt private land, and get it in writing if possible.
If you are asked to leave a place, just say, "Okay, sorry." and leave.
Avoid confrontation with the authorities at all costs.
Don't steal your friend's spots
Abide by all state and local laws
Report all live ammunition and lethal ojects to the police
Use common sense and consideration for others when detecting.
Be responsible
Here is another code that was given to our club in 1999.

Treasure Hunter's Code of Ethics
Respect private property and get the owner's permission.
Fill all holes, even the ones on the beach and in the water
Protect our woods, forests, and wildlife.
Use thoughtfulness, consideration, and courtesy at all times.
Build fires in designated places only.
Leave gates to property as found.
Remove and properly dispose of any trash you find.
No littering of any kind, clean up after yourself.
Do not destroy property, buildings, ghost towns or abandoned structures.
Do not tamper with signs, structural facilities, or equipment.

buscadero

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Corpus Christi, Tx.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I agree 100% with Scrounger re: Stupid Laws! I know the Cops here on the Net will say they didn't write the laws, they are only enforcing them, but fair is fair! Since Law Enforcement became a CASH COW, everyone is Fair Game! One can only hope to have Municipal Pay Raises on the Ballot, so we can Just Say No too!!!!!!

Joe

nedigger

Sep 30, 2004
Omaha, NE
It's great to see our tax dollars hard at work! ??? Protecting us from ourselves. Who knows, you could have found a really cool old coin or ring and upon jumping up in excitement sprang your ankle or something. Since when did grass become such a precious endangered commodity. I could understand if you were in the park with a shovel or backhoe but seriously. I guess I just don't get it. I always thought our lawmakers and law enforcement worked for us. It seems the tide has turned. Ok, enough ranting. HH.

nealb

Jan 2, 2007
Omaha, NE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 and Discovery 1100
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In Omaha, NE, we have to get a permit to detect on city property. It only costs $1 (cost me more to drive to the city parks department). Anyway, it gives you permission to detect, but you can't "turn" any sod. That stinks that they couldn't just give you a warning. We've got kids killing kids, and individuals out enjoying a harmless hobby, and cleaning up the park at the same time, get cited? Sometimes you wonder where the priorities lie.I'm all for obeying the law, but that seems a little excessive. At least you didn't come away with nothing

OP
OP
T

Tokomo

Feb 23, 2007
Los Angeles CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
About the code of ethics... I was extremely nice to this Officer Stickler fellow. I apologized for not knowing the local law about digging, and told him that we would find a place where we were allowed. I was very courteous until the clown came out of his car with $100 dollars we owe them for "Digging on, and destroying park property". It is just over the top! I am a law abiding citizen, and I pay out of pocket for their services. I am all for our police force bringing down the wrath of justice on criminals, but for the love of all that is holy and good why do police throw the book at good citizens!

Don't let ethics rob you of your rights as a citizen... Stand up and be heard! ...well I feel a little better!

Also: I fully admit fault here... should have looked into it first.

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hear your about your citation. I hope you have much better luck next time out.
DANGLANGLEY

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread