Heading to Puerto Vallarta, MX and FT. LAUDERDALE, FL this winter

Toothpick

Sep 9, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
XP-DEUS 2, MANTICORE, XP-DEUS 1, Equinox 800, Simplex, 1280x, Gold Bug 2, 12v Gator Gill Hookah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am very fortunate this year with getting out of the frozen tundra twice in one winter. :happysmiley:

Anything I should know regarding beach hunting at either destination? Is it legal in Mexico?

Thanks?

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Legal at both locations with certain conditions and restrictions. Most Florida beaches allow detecting from base of dune to the low tide line. If there are no off-shore salvage claims, you can hunt the water too. Mexico is always iffy. Even when things are legal (or not!) sometimes that doesn't matter. It's whoever is in charge that makes the decision, and that could be anything from a bribe, to "no problema", to "we're going to confiscate your detector". Most tourist area beaches are not a problem as they don't want the bad press, but no guarantees.

OP
OP
Toothpick

Toothpick

Sep 9, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
XP-DEUS 2, MANTICORE, XP-DEUS 1, Equinox 800, Simplex, 1280x, Gold Bug 2, 12v Gator Gill Hookah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! We are staying at a all inclusive condo in Puerto Vallarta, ( thanks to a friend) so I am hoping it is more like a private beach. I will ask when I get there and see what they sy.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Metal detecting on Mexican tourist beaches is a common site . But sure, Ask away . So that you can find some bureaucrat to tell you "no". I mean , just like here in the USA , they can find some cultural heritage Verbage or shipwreck salvor things to apply. Then you'll leave the detector at home . Imagine your surprise when you arrive at your resort and see other md'rs w/o a care in the world .

NorthernTesoro

Oct 3, 2014
Colorado (Formerly MN)
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro &
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm heading down to Mexico in December, will either be flying into Puerto Vallarta or Guadalajara. I do plan on using it on the beach, I have been down there many times and have used friend or family's detectors without a problem this time I'm using my own.

OP
OP
Toothpick

Toothpick

Sep 9, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm heading down to Mexico in December, will either be flying into Puerto Vallarta or Guadalajara. I do plan on using it on the beach, I have been down there many times and have used friend or family's detectors without a problem this time I'm using my own.

Have you had good luck detecting in the past in PV, NorthernTesoro?

NorthernTesoro

Oct 3, 2014
Colorado (Formerly MN)
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro &
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi Toothpick, sorry I made it sound like I have used a MD in PV but this will be my first time using a detector in PV. In the past I have flown into PV but my metal detecting has been in the interior/central Mexico where I have gone relic hunting with friends. This time around the plan is to bring my AT Pro so I can detect from the very start in PV.

Last edited:

TheCoinKid

Apr 16, 2013
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
Once in PV, you might consider a short and daily boat ride to Yelapa, just south of PV.
It's a 'get out of town' place for the residents of PV and the more adventurous 'gringos'.
Don......

If you do go to Yelapa, find the pie lady on or near the beach. Her pie is worth the trip.

TCK

OP
OP
Toothpick

Toothpick

Sep 9, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Toothpick, sorry I made it sound like I have used a MD in PV but this will be my first time using a detector in PV. In the past I have flown into PV but my metal detecting has been in the interior/central Mexico where I have gone relic hunting with friends. This time around the plan is to bring my AT Pro so I can detect from the very start in PV.

Well ...maybe I will see you on the beach. We will be there 2-8 thru 2-15...I'll be wearing the Packer hat swinging a CZ 20 LOL

OP
OP
Toothpick

Toothpick

Sep 9, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this thread is out of date, but

I am heading to PV in a couple of weeks. How did your trips go and how was the MD'ing?

My trip was a little disappointing, just newer coins. My buddy found a nice sterling bangle type bracelet tho.

HistoryUnearthed

Jun 28, 2015
La Porte County, Indiana and SC Low-country part t
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab CTX3030, Garrett AT-Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My trip was a little disappointing, just newer coins. My buddy found a nice sterling bangle type bracelet tho.

Same with me. No problems with detecting the beach. I stayed at the Vidanta resort in Nuevo Vallarta and hit the beach there. I was amazed that I wasn't getting any hits whatsoever. I was jumping up and down when I finally found a beer tab, LOL.
I also tried water hunting for the first time, but ocean was a little rough, but after 2.5 hrs it didn't get a single hit. This resort is relatively new though, so maybe that was why. Won't take my detector next time.

As far as traveling with the MD, I bought a hard case with foam. See pictures below. Worked great. I bought TSA locks for the case as well and checked it. No problems at all besides people looking at me and wondering if I had rifles in there.

IMG_4486.JPG

OP
OP
Toothpick

Toothpick

Sep 9, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That dedicated case is awesome. I broke mine down and just put it in my suitcase.

The surf was so bad it was impossible to hunt. We stayed at velas vallarta

Dec 10, 2016
Brock, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi there, I'm just a newbie, I'm going to Ixtapa, Mexico in February taking my BH quick Draw Pro, which was a gift. Now is "says" in the paperwork and most of what I've read online , that the coil is waterproof ⁉️ Can anyone help me with this question I don't want to ruin this MD but would like to take it to the beach....ty

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi there, I'm just a newbie, I'm going to Ixtapa, Mexico in February taking my BH quick Draw Pro, which was a gift. Now is "says" in the paperwork and most of what I've read online , that the coil is waterproof ⁉️ Can anyone help me with this question I don't want to ruin this MD but would like to take it to the beach....ty

Your detector isn't a salt water detector so your going to need to stay in the dry sand above the high tide line. It can't handle the salt minerals......Good luck.

November 9, 2016 A New Future

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet! What Treasure Hunter said is correct. Your machine will be worthless in the water (and probably wet sand as well), so, your question is moot. Either get a better suited machine, or, stay in the dry sand.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Metal detecting on Mexican tourist beaches is a common site . But sure, Ask away . So that you can find some bureaucrat to tell you "no". I mean , just like here in the USA , they can find some cultural heritage Verbage or shipwreck salvor things to apply. Then you'll leave the detector at home . Imagine your surprise when you arrive at your resort and see other md'rs w/o a care in the world .
Setting all the political rhetoric aside and the lecture on asking bureaucrat junk blah blah blah, Up North of Puerto Vallarta there used to be a Club Med resort. Not sure on its status now. For a place that was supposed to be cashless - used plastic beads for drinks etc. You'd be literally tripping over coins and jewelry. If you're into water hunting, the docks around the Barra De Navidad are pretty good what with tourists hopping in & out of the boats. NOTE- The boats on the docks have a pecking order. The guys at the front have a spot that has been handed down, they make the most money. The guy on the end of the dock makes a lot less. These ARE the guys to hire. They know & share info & try harder you'd be amazed what a tip and taking him with to get a beer or two will get you! Not going to give it all away, but if you look up the coast from the Club Med site there's a river with a good sized cove on the right as you look at it from the ocean. For years and years the Tortuga poachers have been cleaning them there and there have been very small caches found there (know this for fact!) :laughing7:. We talked to some folks that told us you'd go there to buy Tortuga meat for your sopa. Don't know how long you're going to be there so hope that gives you some ideas! Last but not least hang out on the patios of the hotels. The guys selling jewelry will come. I used to buy from them for pennies on the dollar and resell it up here. Paid for the trip several times. Some of those guys are selling jewelry their family makes and very good workmanship for the price. Don't buy jewelry at the big market in Puerto Vallarta 90% is junk. MOST OF ALL! Have fun!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread