Strip between sidewalk and street? Public or not?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
A right of way or easement does not constitute ownership. It is still owned by the homeowner and the homeowner is responsible for maintaining it.

Even when there is no sidewalk, towns have a right of way of the first several feet into most properties, sometimes more. Would you dig in a yard that has no sidewalk? If not, then you shouldn't dig in one that does.

Doubter, I am not disputing your definitions. You're right: city owned, versus private owned with public "eavesement". Ok, fine. Therefore, as such, you do not dispute the right of the public to stand there, be there, walk there, etc.... , right? Like if they're getting out on the passenger side of a vehicle. Right?

Therefore, we're right back to square one, where you seem to equate md'ing to holes, damage, etc... If this is true, then everything else you're saying logically follows. And OF COURSE some md'rs don't do as good of a job as you and I in leaving no trace. But what does that have to do with me? If you and I leave no trace, then presto, what you're saying does not apply. I don't get it.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Nitric, I have no doubt that detecting "carries connotations". Such that even if it's true, that you or I "won't leave a trace", yet that doesn't stop a homeowner from THINKING you might be about to leave a mess. Granted. Therefore my tactic is to avoid such confrontations. If that means picking low traffic times, or going at night, so be it.

Because if the day comes where we all succumb to letting the md'ing connotations (that you might be about to leave a mess), then that's the day that you also better stop with parks, schools, etc... too. Yes I agree that those places are to a lesser degree. But the principle remains.

So please do not interpret my stance to mean I would have an "in your face" attitude to those people. Not at all.

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Doubter, I am not disputing your definitions. You're right: city owned, versus private owned with public "eavesement". Ok, fine. Therefore, as such, you do not dispute the right of the public to stand there, be there, walk there, etc.... , right? Like if they're getting out on the passenger side of a vehicle. Right?

Therefore, we're right back to square one, where you seem to equate md'ing to holes, damage, etc... If this is true, then everything else you're saying logically follows. And OF COURSE some md'rs don't do as good of a job as you and I in leaving no trace. But what does that have to do with me? If you and I leave no trace, then presto, what you're saying does not apply. I don't get it.

What's an "eavesement"?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
What's an "eavesement"?

well, not sure if I have the spelling right, or am using the right word, etc... But .... as is evident by the purpose of this thread: I'm talking about the strip of grass between the sidewalk and the street.

As a side-note: I have been in some smaller podunk cities, where ....... there's not even really any "sidewalk". The grass just goes all the way to the street (and sometimes where's no curb-&-gutter in such arrangements). And therefore, pedestrians walking down the street, just walk on the grass along the road-side.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol We're all saying the same things! Just in different ways! lol I think I went in a complete circle in the thread with my opinions! :laughing7: I'll just agree with everyone!

Just stay out of my grass!:laughing7:

I just reread that! I meant yard grass! :laughing7: Night time, probably wouldn't be a good idea either! I'll turn the sprinklers on!!! Might even get the bottle rockets out! So, your going to want to wear a rain jacket and football helmet! :laughing7:

easement,ingress,egress,regress, right of way,expressed,implied,private,public etc....

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions