Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Authority that decides issues about md'ing

Ok gang, input on this please:

The city I'm in (Salinas, CA) boasts one of the largest annual Rodeos in the USA. And ..... humorously ..... each year, there's sure to be a few animal rights activists out there with sandwich boards protesting the "cruelty to animals". The media sometimes gives them a little press each year, but .... for the most part, they're ignored.

This got me thinking of the comparison to md'ing. Ie.: To draw a comparison to "animal rights extreme activists", to those in authority whose desks md'ing Q's lands on.

So follow through with this train of thought: If you were to ask one of those animal rights extremists the following question: "Hi. Is it ok if I leave my pet bunny in the car, while I run into 7-11 to get a slurpee?". What do you think they would answer? They would shriek: "Nooohh! That's animal cruelty! The bunny could suffocate in the hot car! You can be arrested, fined, and your car confiscated!!" And they could probably even cite laws and legal codes that would back up their claims!

Now of course we can all laugh at that. Because we know they're in the extreme minority, and that ......... no .... barring something egregious, you are not hurting your bunny, you will not be arrested, and no one else, (besides those few extreme wackos) cares one iota about it.

So what does this have to do with md'ing? Because there is some factions of extreme archies, who bristle at the word "metal detectors". Oh sure, not all of them are purist archies like that, but some are (I have met them).

Thus often time, if ever questions of interpretation get passed up the chain of command for review, if ever a question of ours (someone asking "can I?") ends up on the desk of an archie (they're on govt. payrolls afterall), then .......... it's the same thing as the animal rights wacko & bunny example: They will shriek "Noooohhh!! That's pot hunting and destroying our heritage! You can be arrested, fined, and your car confiscated!!" And they could probably even cite laws and legal codes that would back up their claims!

See the similarities ? Hence I do not put much stock into what some archies say. Even despite even the legal dire things they may cite. If that means staying out of their vision/view? Fine so be it.

Last edited:

Nugs Bunny

Mar 13, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok gang, input on this please:

The city I'm in (Salinas, CA) boasts one of the largest annual Rodeos in the USA. And ..... humorously ..... each year, there's sure to be a few animal rights activists out there with sandwich boards protesting the "cruelty to animals". The media sometimes gives them a little press each year, but .... for the most part, they're ignored.

This got me thinking of the comparison to md'ing. Ie.: To draw a comparison to "animal rights extreme activists", to those in authority whose desks md'ing Q's lands on.

So follow through with this train of thought: If you were to ask one of those animal rights extremists the following question: "Hi. Is it ok if I leave my pet bunny in the car, while I run into 7-11 to get a slurpee?". What do you think they would answer? They would shriek: "Nooohh! That's animal cruelty! The bunny could suffocate in the hot car! You can be arrested, fined, and your car confiscated!!" And they could probably even cite laws and legal codes that would back up their claims!

Now of course we can all laugh at that. Because we know they're in the extreme minority, and that ......... no .... barring something egregious, you are not hurting your bunny, you will not be arrested, and no one else, (besides those few extreme wackos) cares one iota about it.

So what does this have to do with md'ing? Because there is some factions of extreme archies, who bristle at the word "metal detectors". Oh sure, not all of them are purist archies like that, but some are (I have met them).

Thus often time, if ever questions of interpretation get passed up the chain of command for review, if ever a question of ours (someone asking "can I?") ends up on the desk of an archie (they're on govt. payrolls afterall), then .......... it's the same thing as the animal rights wacko & bunny example: They will shriek "Noooohhh!! That's pot hunting and destroying our heritage! You can be arrested, fined, and your car confiscated!!" And they could probably even cite laws and legal codes that would back up their claims!

See the similarities ? Hence I do not put much stock into what some archies say. Even despite even the legal dire things they may cite. If that means staying out of their vision/view? Fine so be it.

Welcome to California Tom!!!
:laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

WARNING! This post contains fonts known to the State of California to cause cancer.

Nugs Bunny

Mar 13, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well there is always ways to vent that frustration without getting into trouble! Lol! :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

eagle.png

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
California and New York. Where would this country be without their wonderful input.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's not just a state problem. There are plenty of whackos nationwide.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey! Don't blame New York the State. There are 19.7M people in NY State. But the New York MSA (metropolitan area - the five boroughs of NYC and Newark, NJ all in a five mile radius slice of Hell) is 23.4M people. Go figure that one out.

So that means there are negative 3.7M people in the rest of the state. Outside the four major cities there are few people in the whole rest of the state. Usually that's a pretty good thing - but what hope do the sensible people of the state have to outvote that? I live on a road that is five miles long and there are 20 houses on it.

Nugs Bunny

Mar 13, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey! Don't blame New York the State. There are 19.7M people in NY State. But the New York MSA (metropolitan area - the five boroughs of NYC and Newark, NJ all in a five mile radius slice of Hell) is 23.4M people. Go figure that one out.

So that means there are negative 3.7M people in the rest of the state. Outside the four major cities there are few people in the whole rest of the state. Usually that's a pretty good thing - but what hope do the sensible people of the state have to outvote that? I live on a road that is five miles long and there are 20 houses on it.

I lived in Catskill NY for about 8 months back in early 2000, I stayed at the Red Ranch Inn down the road from some resort that looked like a castle. I went swimming at a waterfall up the road from the motel, in the Catskill Mountains. I went swimming at Woodstock.

I went to Niagara, saw the falls saw the Fort, went to the City, saw Times Square and the Trade Center site, went to Bethel saw the original site of Woodstock before they built the museum, went to Rock Tavern visited OC Choppers.

I did a lot of hiking and sightseeing. I LOVE NY! I understand the shirt now!!!!

Awesome place and anybody who has not been there needs to visit.

I almost fell off the highest waterfall in NY, Kaaterskill Falls. Back in the mid 1800's it was as popular as Niagara and there used to be a lodge. It's long gone but I think it would be a great place to swing a detector. I don't know the details but it is open to the public and not a park, it might be worth looking into.

Here are some pictures from Kaaterskill Falls.

People carved their names back when the Lodge was there. Old school graffiti! Thw first one is the edge of the falls... 160 feet down.

scan0027.jpg scan0028.jpg scan0029.jpg

This is on the opposite side of the creek at the edge of the falls and upstream facing the falls.

scan0007.jpg scan0026.jpg

Woodstock town hall and the local swimming hole. That might be another good place to detect. Locals told me they have been swimming there since at least the 60's but probably longer.

scan0144.jpg 396185_2946043608690_1972779581_n.jpg

OC Choppers

scan0009.jpg scan0159.jpg

Saugerties Lighthouse

scan0003.jpg

Waterfall by the motel that we swam at

381431_2946047888797_456120403_n.jpg 396437_2946048168804_11903045_n.jpg

Waterfalls on some of my hikes

scan0005.jpg scan0004.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions