tickets and fines for detecting

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is not against the law to have a metal detector in a National Park as long as it has no batteries in it and dismantled as much as reasonably possible. Example if shaft is 2 pieces it should be separated..... I have had detector with me in several National parks including Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Grand Canyon, Zion and Bryce....

Posted From My $50 Tablet....

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is not against the law to have a metal detector in a National Park as long as it has no batteries in it and dismantled as much as reasonably possible. Example if shaft is 2 pieces it should be separated..... I have had detector with me in several National parks including Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Grand Canyon, Zion and Bryce....

I usually have it in my truck. It is sad that I have to avoid those places. To me it is the same problem as the hardware I carry around, the powers that be make me avoid some areas. Yep, we are now guilty first, lucky if you just get a ticket for not doing anything at all.

OP
OP
Tom_in_CA

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

It is not against the law to have a metal detector in a National Park as long as it has no batteries in it and dismantled as much as reasonably possible. Example if shaft is 2 pieces it should be separated........

Ok, fair enough. That's probably the technical reading of the law, if someone cared to sleuth deeply enough.

Next question: Do you know of anyone who's ever gotten a ticket for having a NON dis-assembled detector in their trunk ?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, fair enough. That's probably the technical reading of the law, if someone cared to sleuth deeply enough.

Next question: Do you know of anyone who's ever gotten a ticket for having a NON dis-assembled detector in their trunk ?

Tom why would someone want to take the chance to be arrested or ticketed and have your detector confiscated because they were to lazy or stubborn to remove batteries and separate a shaft if it breaks apart and have no concerns at all...

As far as "technical reading of law" that is like saying "well technically speaking I was speeding, but only by 7mph."

It is a felony to metal detect in a National park and hunters have been arrested in Yellowstone for hunting for Fenn's treasure...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tom_in_CA

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tom why would someone want to take the chance to be arrested or ticketed and have your detector confiscated......

The key word in your question is "chance". Hence my question: Is it really a "CHANCE" ? Like if it's never happened in the annals of mankind, then I would say that it's not a "chance" then worth worrying about.

So my question remains to you: Do you any examples, of someone who fell prey to this occurrance of chance happening to them ?

PS: I can think of, and give oodles of examples of someone getting a ticket for 7mph over the speed limit.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The key word in your question is "chance". Hence my question: IS IT A "CHANCE" ? And if it's never happened in the annals of mankind, then I would say that it's not a "chance".

PS: I can think of, and give oodles of examples of someone getting a ticket for 7mph over the speed limit.

So my question remains to you: Do you any examples, of someone who fell prey to this occurrance of chance happening to them ?

Tom, what are the odds of that making the news?

If you wish to take the chance by breaking the law feel free to do so.......Just don't advocate breaking the law on TN

lockster99

Dec 8, 2013
SE Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I would like to hear from anyone who "knows personally" of someone who got arrested or ticketed. Purely to know what the fine or charge was. I do not advocate breaking the law...just curious what the charge or fine was.

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like to hear from anyone who "knows personally" of someone who got arrested or ticketed. Purely to know what the fine or charge was. I do not advocate breaking the law...just curious what the charge or fine was.

Maybe we could send in a canary to test the law? Tom, know anyone willing to be that bird?

TreasurDiggrNY

Dec 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The key word in your question is "chance". Hence my question: Is it really a "CHANCE" ? Like if it's never happened in the annals of mankind, then I would say that it's not a "chance" then worth worrying about.

Vocabulary 101

Chance:
Noun
1.a possibility of something happening.
"a chance of victory"
synonyms: possibility, prospect, probability, likelihood, likeliness, expectation, anticipation;

If a baseball team never won a game do they have a "chance" at victory? Yes, but not according to you:dontknow:

Molemann

Nov 30, 2012
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Deus, ETrac, MXT Pro, Garrett pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's about hallowed ground. Nothing else. Oh, and u can throw in respect to boot.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I said I have had mine in national parks, but I followed the laws and rules. Took batteries out and separated shaft. Only takes a minute to put back together anyway..

OP
OP
Tom_in_CA

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
.... If a baseball team never won a game do they have a "chance" at victory? Yes, but not according to you:dontknow:

In a game where there's only 2 players/teams, then .... odds are, one of them will win it , eh ? But this all goes back to the "chance" of getting a ticket for going 6 mph over the speed limit. Has it happened ? SURE , ALL THE TIME. And has a team with a loosing record ever won a ball game ? SURE ALL THE TIME. So in each of those counter examples, numerous citations can be given to the answer the question.

Hence my question: At the present question at hand, does anyone have any examples ?

OP
OP
Tom_in_CA

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used

ditto. I too am not trying to say that it's "legal". Or that I'm advocating that we md'rs go around breaking laws. I'm just wondering why it's so common to see such fears thrown out there (as imminent or and certain), if it's never ever occurred.

OP
OP
Tom_in_CA

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Maybe we could send in a canary to test the law? Tom, know anyone willing to be that bird?

Yes. I've driven through a national park (Yosemite) with a detector in my truck. Didn't have any issues.

Although I can hear it now: "

you just got lucky that no ranger saw it or knew of it, or else MOST CERTAINLY they've have ticketed you, put you in jail, confiscated your machine, etc...
".

Ok, fine then. I'll buy that. I "just got lucky". Does anyone have any examples of someone who wasn't as lucky as me ?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rangers do not normally inspect your trunks or vehicle with out probable cause, if stopped for speeding or drinking they can inspect your vehicle.

"On April 27th, rangers picked up a couple for having a metal detector and a digging shovel in the area known as "Little America," by the Lamar River in the park. Darrel Seyler and Christy Strawn, both of Washington State, were discovered again on May 9th and accused of camping without a permit and of starting a small fire, according to documents from the District Court of Wyoming at Yellowstone National Park.
Metal detectors are becoming a hot ticket item.

Strawn has been banned from the park for five years. Seyler, whose case is still pending, faces 16 citations — he has said he did not intend to use the metal detector. The two were part of a group of five who had to be rescued while attempting to cross Slough Creek on a homemade raft."

http://t.today.com/news/yellowstone-treasure-hunters-run-problems-looking-buried-loot-2D79748263

Another in a state park.

http://fox40.com/2014/03/04/man-ticketed-for-possession-of-metal-detector/

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ditto. I too am not trying to say that it's "legal". Or that I'm advocating that we md'rs go around breaking laws. I'm just wondering why it's so common to see such fears thrown out there (as imminent or and certain), if it's never ever occurred.

Tom they are thrown out because we constantly have new members joining who are not aware of the laws AND because some members continually say " why does it matter", "no body cares", "no trespassing doesn't necessarily mean no detecting."

Last edited:

TreasurDiggrNY

Dec 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In a game where there's only 2 players/teams, then .... odds are, one of them will win it , eh ? But this all goes back to the "chance" of getting a ticket for going 6 mph over the speed limit. Has it happened ? SURE , ALL THE TIME. And has a team with a loosing record ever won a ball game ? SURE ALL THE TIME. So in each of those counter examples, numerous citations can be given to the answer the question.

Hence my question: At the present question at hand, does anyone have any examples ?

Who cares if there are any examples and who would fess up to it? If there are no examples are you thinking it will never or can't happen? It's soooo obvious to everyone that you're only interested in the end result and everyone knows what comes out in the end:tongue3:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Copy of laws on distractions while driving, use google...

Last edited:

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think you're all getting off the track (if you were ever on it) of Tom's thoughts. What he is concerned with isn't places where metal detecting is clearly NOT allowed. I took his post as being concerned that the more we demand to have it CLEARLY stated we can detect, the less we'll be able to. His thoughts echo mine.
The truth of the matter is that asking for permission eventually evolves into being FORCED to have permission. The quickest way to bring this about is by asking for permission where permission isn't needed. The reason people do this is because they have an OUTSIZED fear of being ticketed, fined, etc. Tom, and I simply want people to grow a set. Go forth proudly, and have your detecting fun. Stop worrying about permission....that's the best way to prevent the eventual destruction of our hobby. If the authorities happen to get you, apologize and take your lumps....and go to a different spot and do it again. No big deal. Just don't go where it is clearly illegal. And don't ask for permission where permission isn't required.
Jim

OP
OP
Tom_in_CA

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
thanx Jim. Yes you've followed the train of events. It's not that we should throw caution-to-the-wind. Of course not. It's just that whenever I see the notion that we should ask permission or seek clarifications at any park, school, beach, forest, etc... that we come to: You're right: The justification given for such notion is what? Potential for arrests, jail, etc....

So while there is understandable discussion that goes on about the laws of individual places in question, one day, I sat down and thought to myself: "Wait a minute! If tickets are the all-fired reason for having to jump through these hoops, then is it *really* all that common, that it's something that merits this amount of hoops ? "

Perhaps it is. That's why I ask for examples.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread