Does a "no" apply just to the guy who asked?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Hey gang, a theoretical question :

You are getting ready to vacation at a certain place. And you inquire ahead of other hobbyists, as to whether or not "such & such park" or "such & such beaches" allow md'ing. And let's say that someone chimed in with your answer: They tell you "no'. And the way they know this, is that they asked at that location, and got a "no" in the past.

So: do you take that to mean a "no" JUST to that one individual ? Or do you take that no to mean that others too (yourself, etc...) are likewise not allowed ?

The reason I ask is, that it's painfully obvious that sometimes it just depends on which particular desk jockey you ask. And how you phrase the question, the mood their in, etc..... Right ? So someone else could go in the following day, ask another person, and perhaps get a different answer. Right ?

So does others bootings or no's constitute a "rule" in your mind ? Or not ?

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
On public land?....not to me.
Jim

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NO !

The person who told you this May be Lying.
I have either Experienced this. Or the people who told them no
are gone & new people are in charge.

Check For Yourself.

I have another Long Story, But will save you from it :laughing7:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"And the way they know this, is that they asked at that location, and got a "no" in the past." I would look to see if there were anything written that would clearly exclude me. They might have walked in there with Bunny ears on wearing a speedo hoping they would get a no so they could go back home and enjoy what they normally do. On a more serious note, that person may have been able to detect if they would not have asked.

Or got thrown off With The words NO DETECTING !!!! & Don't Come Back !

because they never asked

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Until someone tells me to my face NO...I would be all over it....Even some of the signs here in my town are confusing

"No Trespassing for your safety"..so on those...I just becareful :)

OP
OP
Tom_in_CA

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ah, very interesting answers thus far.

So you all would either do a) As kemper suggests and never have asked in the first place , or b) ask for yourself, and ... maybe the answer you'd get would be different.

But in either case, you do not consider the "no" to necessarily apply to you. Hmmm, interesting.

Ok then, in that case, how do you handle this extended theoretical suffix to the question: Someone finds out you're detecting there. Like perhaps they're a fellow club member, or perhaps they see a post of yours on the forum's "today's finds" section, etc... That person gets upset that you're detecting at "an illegal place". They had learned of this illegality either d/t 1) they got booted, or 2) they had asked and gotten a "no".

So you tell the person that his "no' only applies to him, not you. How do you think he's going to handle that ? Do you think he'd buy that for a minute? Could you blame him if he sees you as lawless and objects? And what if you got wind that he's about to march down to city or county halls, to "get this clarified?".

This is not made up. This exact series of events happened in local circles here where I'm at. One guy goes and gets a "no". So for the LIFE of him, he can't understand why we are able to go, while he's forbidden ? And can you blame him ? In his mind's eyes, the no metal detecting isn't arbitrarily applied to one person, and not the next.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, Im just getting at the point where some detectorists will tell you what they want. I had a buddy tell me that he got booted from a school by a teacher along time ago, I went up there one day because I saw they were doing stuff at the school, I got out and hunted for about 10 mins. Then the principal drove up asking if I had lost something. i told him i was just looking for old coins. He told me "Good Luck" and walked off

Soo, unless i got the verbal NO , I didnt mind hunting it, but I wouldnt care if my buddy found out or not

Last edited by a moderator:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ah, very interesting answers thus far.

So you all would either do a) As kemper suggests and never have asked in the first place , or b) ask for yourself, and ... maybe the answer you'd get would be different.

But in either case, you do not consider the "no" to necessarily apply to you. Hmmm, interesting.
there can be certain Circumstances The Person who told you Lied Or held back info.

Has nothing to do with what kemper may be suggesting.
sometimes there are misunderstandings in posts
we are not saying ignore & go on any place .
at Least I am saying ignore and Ask yourself.

Of course there are certain Circumstances where Ignore & Just help yourself may apply.
But Common sense should take care of that

Ok then, in that case, how do you handle this extended theoretical suffix to the question: Someone finds out you're detecting there. Like perhaps they're a fellow club member, or perhaps they see a post of yours on the forum's "today's finds" section, etc... That person gets upset that you're detecting at "an illegal place". They had learned of this illegality either d/t 1) they got booted, or 2) they had asked and gotten a "no".

So you tell the person that his "no' only applies to him, not you. How do you think he's going to handle that ? Do you think he'd buy that for a minute? Could you blame him if he sees you as lawless and objects? And what if you got wind that he's about to march down to city or county halls, to "get this clarified?".

I've had several sites where No didn't apply to me.

in fact I was on a site for a whole season.
Inside a Fenced in Pool, while a Guy Dismantled a dance hall connected to it.
I was pulling Gold & silver Rings, & silver coins, And never ended the day without a few Hundred coins
in my Pocket. Nobody was ever allowed to hunt it long.
the Dad (old guy) would say Yes; Son (a cop) would show up shortly after Say No !
Place was a Carpet of coins & Jewelry.

Anywhow Guy who detects shows up I brag.
He wants to come in I hunt too.
I told him ask that guy .
He tried everything but Get on his Knees & kiss the Guys Feet :laughing7:
The answer was Still No !
Next day I get there No Trespassing Signs Everywhere.

But I still had my permission.

This is not made up. This exact series of events happened in local circles here where I'm at. One guy goes and gets a "no". So for the LIFE of him, he can't understand why we are able to go, while he's forbidden ? And can you blame him ? In his mind's eyes, the no metal detecting isn't arbitrarily applied to one person, and not the next.

OP
OP
Tom_in_CA

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
...... but I wouldnt care if my buddy found out or not

OOOooohhhh, so you're "sneaking around", eh ? Hmmm, NOW we know what kind of person diggin-n-dumps REALLY is. haarruummmphhh !:laughing7:

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Tom_in_CA

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
there can be certain Circumstances The Person who told you Lied Or held back info.....

Perhaps. But for purposes of this theoretical "what if?", I'm only speaking of genuine sincere info that various people have. Not sly attempts to keep others from detecting their spots, etc...

.....in fact I was on a site for a whole season.
I was pulling Gold & silver Rings, & silver coins, ..........

Sounds like a fun hunt! But I'm assuming that is a private location ? Hence outside the parameters of this question ? Because sure: it's quite possible to get a Yes from a farmer or landlord or something, while another person gets a no. However, in the case of PUBLIC property, like a park, or a school , or a beach, etc..., one would THINK that rules would be "uniform", consistent, and non-discriminatory, right?

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
there can be certain Circumstances The Person who told you Lied Or held back info.

Has nothing to do with what kemper may be suggesting.
sometimes there are misunderstandings in posts
we are not saying ignore & go on any place .
at Least I am saying ignore and Ask yourself.

Of course there are certain Circumstances where Ignore & Just help yourself may apply.
But Common sense should take care of that

I've had several sites where No didn't apply to me.

in fact I was on a site for a whole season.
I was pulling Gold & silver Rings, & silver coins, And never ended the day without a few Hundred coins
in my Pocket. Nobody was ever allowed to hunt it long.
the Dad (old guy) would say Yes; Son (a cop) would show up shortly after Say No !
Place was a Carpet of coins & Jewelry.

Anywhow Guy who detects shows up I brag.
He wants to come in I hunt too.
I told him ask that guy .
He tried everything but Get on his Knees & kiss the Guys Feet :laughing7:
The answer was Still No !
Next day I get there No Trespassing Signs Everywhere.

But I still had my permission.

That same thing happen to me in a gated Pool area..I ended up getting permission from a city worker and he even showed me how to get in if the gate was shut. I hunted there almost 3 years before they revamped it.

But thats when Common Sense comes in play. There was a private party that donated over a Million dollars to redo the pool. Which in my mind ...means off limits

When it was just a crappy city owned pool that nonone cared about it was on thing..But after they revamped it. I would feel like an ass even setting foot in there

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...I sure do miss that Pool...found over 25 Gold rings there...not to mention days of 10-15 dollars in clad every time I went

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Perhaps. But for purposes of this theoretical "what if?", I'm only speaking of genuine sincere info that various people have. Not sly attempts to keep others from detecting their spots, etc...

Sounds like a fun hunt! But I'm assuming that is a private location ? Hence outside the parameters of this question ? Because sure: it's quite possible to get a Yes from a farmer or landlord or something, while another person gets a no. However, in the case of PUBLIC property, like a park, or a school , or a beach, etc..., one would THINK that rules would be "uniform", consistent, and non-discriminatory, right?

Sure If the other person Behaved them self .
And If everyone asked the same Person.

Unless there was a Personal Dislike for some reason

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...I sure do miss that Pool...found over 25 Gold rings there...not to mention days of 10-15 dollars in clad every time I went

Yep I need another one :laughing7:

1910's - 20's ?
willow.jpg

50's 60's ?

willow2.jpg

Last edited:

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep I need another one :laughing7:

1910's - 20's ?
View attachment 1114627

50's 60's ?

View attachment 1114628

That was about the same age as the one I was hunting..It was popular in the teens and 20s...Now they have concreted most of the good parts...That little heap of dirt in the background scored me a ton of wheats and a few Mercs before they hauled it off

Formed1.jpg

This was the first years jewlery

AURings.JPG Pool Silvers.JPG

Nugs Bunny

Mar 13, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But I'm assuming that is a private location ? Hence outside the parameters of this question ? Because sure: it's quite possible to get a Yes from a farmer or landlord or something, while another person gets a no. However, in the case of PUBLIC property, like a park, or a school , or a beach, etc..., one would THINK that rules would be "uniform", consistent, and non-discriminatory, right?

Sorry Tom but your OP did not specify it was a public park... "such & such park" could be privately owned.

Also a school is considered private property not public property... and that beach could be a National Park.

There are many privately owned parks in California as I pointed out in another thread.

Private parks open to the public are not unheard of... or even rare for that matter.

I suggest you stop by Redwood Park and Empire Park in San Francisco... they are both privately owned parks open to the public. Map: POPOS (Privately Owned Public Open Spaces) Of San Francisco: SFist

Or how about the new Emerald Park... also in San Francisco... Privately Owned Public Park To Open In Rincon Hill

Or Zuccotti Park in Manhattan NY... Privately Owned Park, Open to the Public, May Make Its Own Rules

Here is more information on Privately Owned Public Open Spaces...

Secrets of San Francisco | SPUR
Privately owned public space: where are they and who owns them? | News | The Guardian

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was about the same age as the one I was hunting..It was popular in the teens and 20s...Now they have concreted most of the good parts...That little heap of dirt in the background scored me a ton of wheats and a few Mercs before they hauled it off

View attachment 1114631

This was the first years jewlery

View attachment 1114632 View attachment 1114633

Nice Jewelry ! I have no pics :( was in the 90's

Mine sits Idle now. they filled the pool in with the Remains
of an old Church that burned down.

The plans for Town houses on the site fell though.

so he Sold The land.

Last I was there Kids were using it for a play area But I did find a Barber yet.
Finds have really gone down since the Site was opened as a piece of empty land
with no fences. & no signs

Untitled.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tom_in_CA

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Sorry Tom but your OP did not specify it was a public park... "such & such park" could be privately owned.

Also a school is considered private property not public property... and that beach could be a National Park.

There are many privately owned parks in California as I pointed out in another thread.

Oh for pete's sake Nugs, you KNOW what I meant. Sheesk , I didn't want to get into a 4-page legal document! :) I didn't think it needed to be spelled out, but, ok, for your sakes:

A public park, or a public school, that is not privately owned. Nor a national park or some such off-limits (with actual specific rules about this). I'm talking run-of-the-mill city or county type parks.

The question could even go up to state or federal levels (d/t I'm sure 2 different people could get two different answers, depending on who they ask). But to keep things simple, let's just assume anytown, USA park or beach. Nothing complicated. No tentacles of private, or fenced schools saying "visitors check in at office" blah blah. Let's just talk about places where anyone and everyone can go and walk, jog, sun-bathe, fly frisbee, read a book, do jumping jacks, etc..... And for purposes of the question: Places that do not have a specific no detecting rule.

ok, NOW can you comment on it ? haha :hello:

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But to keep things simple, let's just assume anytown, USA park or beach. Nothing complicated. No tentacles of private, or fenced schools saying "visitors check in at office" blah blah. Let's just talk about places where anyone and everyone can go and walk, jog, sun-bathe, fly frisbee, read a book, do jumping jacks, etc..... And for purposes of the question: Places that do not have a specific no detecting rule.

ok, NOW can you comment on it ? haha :hello:

Well then you would have to be Very Timid to ask.
it's for Recreation. Detecting is recreation.

Of course Don't go in with a Long handled spade.
Or large Butcher Knife dressed Like a Stalker
& Hang out where the Kids Play.
giggling at them & nodding :laughing7:
Or Do if you are on a TV comedy :tongue3:

but of course if you upset the herd of crabby old ladies.

index.jpg images.jpg images2.jpg

you may be asked to leave.

Now if your the One person who is Picked on by the Grounds Keeper.
That would be a Bummer

Last edited:

Nugs Bunny

Mar 13, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well we gotta be specific Tom, otherwise any general answer will suffice, as I showed... lol! :laughing7:

Ok now that is cleared up... a verbally spoken no is only considered "notice" to who it was spoken too.

One would not even be aware of previous verbal objections given to other individuals. It would be unreasonable to expect a verbal restriction given to one individual to apply as a "blanket" restriction that applied to those unaware of said verbal objection.

Plus like I stated before... the objection could be with the individual... not the activity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions