Canadian National Historic Sites (not parks)

albertapicker

Feb 11, 2015
Grande Prairie
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Fellow Canadians...
Question:

There are a few "national historic sites" that have no signage or park keep up. they are in the middle of no were, on crown land. Is there laws regarding metal detection on such sites?

The one I have in mind is close to some farm land my family owns and I could hypothetically get away with it as there is no one there. The only person who might discover me is my Dad or an uncle :p
However, I also want to be legal and it seems some laws are a little vague

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
just my opinion but I think they designate such to protect them, ergo it's not legal

OP
OP
A

albertapicker

Feb 11, 2015
Grande Prairie
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get that...
I guess I'm just looking for legal specifics. I have seen sites that say not to disturb ground, not to dig etc. This site is not one of those.
It was designated a historic site in the 1950s and there is no information or references of it since then.
Im looking to find a piece of actual legislation that address what laws surround national historic sites... thought maybe somebody could point me towards written law cause Id like to read it.
(there is a lot of mumbo jumbo on the government sites to cut through before you find what you can or cant do... just trying to save a bit of research time)

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

albertapicker, I'm assuming that designated historical sites there, can be both on a) private land, and b) public land. Right ? You didn't say in your OP if the site you have in mind is on private, versus public land.

Because if it's anything like here in the USA, you CAN detect them if on private land. For example: there are things like stage stop locations (with marker/plaques), and historic cathedrals/missions, etc.... here, which can be on private land. Hence the homeowner can do whatever the heck he wants to with it, despite the designation.

I've gotten permission to hunt on some of the most sacred hallowed ground here, with the permission of a church priest, for instance. So too do I suppose if the site you're talking about is on private grounds, then it's between you and that farmer. Period end of story. JMHO.

oldsmith

Mar 13, 2014
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Garrett at gold, Garrett propointer, teknetics t2 se, tessoro sand shark,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello fellow Albertan, not quite sure on your search area here in the great white north. As far as provincial parks go I search them here around Slave Lake all the time. If I was to go to Fort Edmonton or Fort Langley in B.C. and set about detecting I would expect a visit by the royal mounted. This information was given to me first hand by the govt. people that work at these sites. Renovations at national historic sites mentioned above cannot commence without federal govt. arcis present, much to the dismay of the provincial authorities that actually wish to improve these sites. If the site is clearly marked I'd say stay out, if not plead ignorance. I'm a rebel not a poacher. Hope this helps and hh.

oldsmith

Mar 13, 2014
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Garrett at gold, Garrett propointer, teknetics t2 se, tessoro sand shark,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a follow up to my last post, being winter, if you look around your site , trails leading to and from will be more visible, The spruce trees grow slow and the foilage is dead from the cold. Mentally or flag these trails and detect them when the weather is fine. I do this all the time. These will most likely be horse, cart, footpaths of fur traders, klondykers, or homesteaders. These hardy individuals lost lots of artifacts on these trails. I know this because I have found there lost items, and if they were alive today I would gladly return them to them. Again cheers and hh.

coinbug

Jul 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher Goldbug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think there is any legal protection for a site that's been designated a national historic site in Canada. Unless there's some Alberta government, or other regional designation - in which case it would likely have a sign indicating that - I think you're OK.

Note that National Parks are a very different story. It's illegal to remove anything from them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread