Metal Detecting

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Wow, talk about a remote spot in the world ? Wow. You're talking about that little island east of the Phillipines and north of New Guinea ? Scarcely 2 x 5 miles wide ?

I see from wiki that became a territory of the USA after WWII. However, it got its own independant govt. starting in 1978. Oddly, the "entire island" is said to be on the USA's "National Register of Historic Places". Ie.: a U.S. "Historic Landmark". Which is odd, if it's now got it's own government. The status was d/t the WWII battle that was fought there.

Personally, unless there is some sort of very high-end touristy beach modern stuff going on there, I wouldn't touch the place with a 10 ft. pole. I mean, to look for historical stuff (as your post indicates when you say "history"). Because think of it: The place will be LITTERED with shrapnel, bullets, etc.... JMHO.

As for whether it's legal or not, my hunch is, that since that island became independent in 1978, that a) there is probably no laws that forbid it, and b) I bet no one would notice or care, unless you're being a nuisance in some way. There is ample detecting going on in all the Phillipine islands. So I can't figure out why this one particular island would be any different. But that's just me.

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Peleliu government outlaws the removal of war relics from the island but it must have been tempting to battle buffs. While we were there, we observed a film crew filming the opening of a sealed cave near White Beach 2. Numerous Japanese remains are in these caves and the film crew was making a film entitled the "The War Caves of Peleliu." The film producer thought that she had permission to dig in the area, but it must not have been the case since the local police stopped the digging and roped off the area as a crime scene. What will become of the film is not clear, but what is clear is that the Peleliu government intends to enforce its laws.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
ok, then how about stuff that pre-dates the war ? Or how about modern beach-goer losses?

Personally I wouldn't hunt a spot with that much carnage. It'll just be ordinance and shrapnel and bullet stuff everywhere, IMHO. The beach sand for modern stuff might be an exception. But I can just imagine if there is an regular annual beach erosion to get down to older sand, the WWII junk would just become too punishing .

OP
OP
D

diverrick

Jan 18, 2011
Vacaville, CA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Minelab Eureka gold
Primary Interest:
Other
OK thanks for the info sounds like the best I can hope for is a bit of exploring on foot. I have seen pics of the place and it looks to be covered with old stuff from the war. I hope I get a chance to at least look around some. DO not wish to rot in a jail down there. I am also hoping for cool temps, as it can get quite warm down in that region of the world. I will be diving on some ship wrecks as well. I am not looking forward to that hellish long flight back and forth but can't wait to see the place. I will be diving off the Aggressor Tropic Dancer for a week.

OP
OP
D

diverrick

Jan 18, 2011
Vacaville, CA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Minelab Eureka gold
Primary Interest:
Other
BTW. GREAT links. I spent a hour or so just reading them then surfing google for more info. One thing I got is that it might be just a tad warmer than I was thinking at first. Seems to be a real hot spot temp wise. I have been to Costa Rica Honduras, Mexico, El Salvador, All over the Caribbean, but his sounds like it is even HOTTER if that is even possible. Good news is I am going during the wet season, so we could get some rain to help, or hurt. Humidity is a ***** for sure, especially if your working. Sitting on the beach sipping drinks not so much.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread