Do the police return found items to you that youve turned into them after 90 days?

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do the police return found items to you that you've turned into them after 90...

Tom, I was mainly writing about swim holes and beaches. I do not have a wife, but if I had one, I could not afford to purchased that expenses ring. If I had a wife with a expense ring, I tell her not to wear it in parks and swim holes and beaches, because if she did lost the ring, she be my ex-wife. Many times on the Milford, Connecticut beaches, women asked to me find their jewel and when I do, I do not accept rewards, but, advice them to leave their jewels home. I stand by my above comments. # 76.
To answer Tom question. Finders keepers, loser weepers. If people are too stupid to wear expenses jewels and carry coins and lose them in parks and beaches, then us hard working detectors can find what we find to pay for our detectors and other expense, and to support our families.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tom, one other thing, you did not think this problem through, no wife would leave the park until the husband or family member or friend came with a detector and find the ring.

Don't advise them to leave jewelry at home have you ever heard of Pinterest and Facebook! She'll spread that reminder to 30,000 soccer moms/ grandmas in 2 hours!
I hunt/find things for people anytime they ask for free if it's local and on land. I drove 2 hours to scuba dive in a black pond where a wedding ring was dropped through a dock during the wedding ceremony in February and only accepted gas/food money. Point is I didn't want you to think I won't help people find stuff when they ask, but I don't want to walk down the beach with a big sign saying "be sure to remove all jewelry and leave in safe place while swimming etc"
I had an older gentleman ask me on the beach what I was looking for and I replied mostly clad and jewelry. He said why jewelry my rings don't come off so I think you are wasting your time. Essentially telling me he didn't believe others lost there jewelry either. I politely nodded and went on my way!

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
It go to say if it's has any value you might as well kiss it good by.

And while that may seem dastardly, yet what have you lost? How have you been harmed? It was never yours to begin with. You only found it. So in their mind, to " blow you off" might seem innocuous.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In your life time, while detecting, you will meet fools and bullies. If you have no safe nor good hiding places, place your coins and paper money in a bank safety box. Good hunting and good luck.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While walking to a bank, I had found a wallet with many credit cards. I should had contact the owner, and get a reward. But, instead, I gave the wallet to a bank clerk, who I am sure contact the owner.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While walking to a bank, I had found a wallet with many credit cards. I should had contact the owner, and get a reward. But, instead, I gave the wallet to a bank clerk, who I am sure contact the owner.
You're more sure than I would have been......

freepistol

Apr 13, 2016
Berwick, PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And while that may seem dastardly, yet what have you lost? How have you been harmed? It was never yours to begin with. You only found it. So in their mind, to " blow you off" might seem innocuous.

It wasn't yours to begin with, true, but now there is an investment of time and work in the recovery as well as time and travel expenses to return it. My feeling is that the detectorist has a claim based on expenses and an hourly rate for the search. Isn't that payment for the lost item as valid as the monetary payment of the initial purchase?

It is different type of a claim than someone would have if the item was found lying on the sidewalk.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Legally, I doubt there is a difference between the two scenarios. You weren't hired to find the lost item, you volunteered to do it.

4570govt

Tenderfoot
Apr 23, 2016
Mt. Home id
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, Fisher Gold Bug, Garret AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Ultra Mag camo, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buddy I work with found a kimber 1911 model handgun in the case during a eagle river Alaska highway clean up last summer and now he can't contact the Poc officer in charge of the weapon to find out its status... Weird how that works with a $1200 gun. Guess she liked it.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buddy I work with found a kimber 1911 model handgun in the case during a eagle river Alaska highway clean up last summer and now he can't contact the Poc officer in charge of the weapon to find out its status... Weird how that works with a $1200 gun. Guess she liked it.
And that's an item with a serial number, which, presumably can be traced! You can imagine what happens to valuable jewelry with no such I.D.

USERNAME IS VALID

Feb 27, 2016
Norcal
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II
XP DEUS
TESORO VAQUERO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always try my hardest to find the owner of something valuable. I've noticed that a lot of people don't care, I just know that if I lose something valuable I hope someone would return the favor. I found and returned 5 wallets one year with a total of $1,900 in them, an iPhone the first month they came out, a couple wedding rings…….all that stuff would not change my life but giving it back to bummed out people sure made me happy. One guy especially, lost his wedding ring in Tahoe in the snow on his honeymoon, I found it and got it back to him in Texas a couple months later.

Last edited:

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, if we find wallets with IDs, or any other items, yes, we should try to find the owners. But, our reasons to be treasure hunters, is to find lost coins, jewel, and other items that are worth money. I agree with # 86. Re-read # 76, # 79. # 83, # 84. Good hunting and good luck.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, if we find wallets with IDs, or any other items, yes, we should try to find the owners. But, our reasons to be treasure hunters, is to find lost coins, jewel, and other items that are worth money. I agree with # 86. Re-read # 76, # 79. # 83, # 84. Good hunting and good luck.
What's the difference between finding a wallet that can be identified and a ring that can be identified? In my book, if ANYTHING I find can be positively identified, it gets returned. That's the way I'd want to be treated if I lost something.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread