RULES FOR METAL DETECTING IN NJ?

FINDER BINDERS

Apr 23, 2015
SOUTHERN NJ
Detector(s) used
GARRETT AT PRO / WHITE 6000 DI PRO / WHITES SPECTRUM XLT / WHITES DFX / WHITES 808 DEEPSEARCH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ME AND MY FATHER HAVE PERMITS FOR ATSION RECREATIONAL AREA BUT THATS PRETTY MUCH IT. IM A FIRM BELIEVER IN SHARING THE HISTORY WE UNCOVER WITH THE PEOPLE OF AMERICA. WE EVEN HAVE A FACEBOOK PAGE WHERE WE TRY TO TEACH HISTORY SHOULD NOT BE LEFT IN THE GROUND.

ARE THERE ANY AFFILIATES IN WHICH I CAN COLLABORATE WITH THAT WILL WORK WITH ME OR ALLOW ME TO HUNT FOR THEM FOR SPECIFIC PURPOSES?

OR IS IT JUST PIRATE RULES FROM THIS POINT ON.

CHEERS GENTLEMEN.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I see at the Astion Rec. area is state park administered. And I see that NJ's state parks have a rule that you can detect "with permit". And a lot of times such a "permit" (or permission, etc...) is a simple "go ahead, help yourself" sort of nod from a park ranger at the kiosk. And as such perhaps there's no prohibition about keeping random fumble finger's losses, in the first place. CA too has something like that in their listing on the FMDAC listing (eg.: "with permission" type thing, albeit listing no "permit"), yet.... you can hunt them here till you're blue in the face, so long as you're not on a historically sensitive spot, and ... no ... no one needs to actually ask, etc....).

But your post hints that you're looking for "historic" and perhaps "big ticket" things, eh ? My advice is this:

Do NOT go looking for ability to search so long as you "share", "donate", etc... Because no matter how sincere your efforts are, it will fall on deaf ears. Example: If you went to Bodie or Shiloh tomorrow, seeking to detect and you will "donate your finds", it will fall on deaf ears. Their museums are STOCKED FULL of stuff already, and the archies ALREADY have places they'd like to dig, once the funding and time become available. And trust me: if your offer/question fell on the desks of their archies to sign off on, is the FASTEST way to get a "no".

In fact, any such generous offer on your part will simply bring metal detectors to the front and center as objects needing their "pressing attention" and just make a bigger red bullseye on the back of other md'rs in the future. Even at innocuous places that aren't really meant to be under that scope of historic, etc.... Such was the case, for example, at a state beach back east, where a guy got a signal, and found some timbers he thought might be a shipwreck. He volunteered to "go halves" with the state, if they'd let him bring in heavy equipment to dig it up. Naturally they said "no", but the sad part was, it simply started a ripple effect of a bunch of state people now starting to wonder "gee, should we even let people md at the beach?" :icon_scratch:

So if you have some item you think you can find via your research, here's the correct way to go about your desire: You join in as a volunteer docent at that state park. Or their museum, or the local historical society in the town nearest to there, etc... You attend meetings for a year, get to know all the long time local in those type circles (you might even get clues and tips for other sites :)). Then once you are "in" as an insider, THEN you subtly drop clues. You go in under THAT banner. NOT the idea of someone walking in off the street offering to detect their site, and donate stuff.

I used this tactic to get to detect one of the most sacred historic sensitive spots in CA (which shall remain anonymous here). Found reales, buttons, etc... which are now on display in their museum of dug artifacts. And trust me: if anyone had waltzed into the offices there offering to do such a thing, they'd have been told no. But by leading tours, attending meetings, feeling out the sentiments and personalites of the various curators, you can "schmooze" your way in sometimes. Yes I know it's no fun having to wait a year or two, but it's the only way.

Last edited:
OP
OP
FINDER BINDERS

FINDER BINDERS

Apr 23, 2015
SOUTHERN NJ
Detector(s) used
GARRETT AT PRO / WHITE 6000 DI PRO / WHITES SPECTRUM XLT / WHITES DFX / WHITES 808 DEEPSEARCH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
beautifully put tom in ca. thank you for your time and intel! i seriously appreciate what you have written here

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions