Greenie
May 21, 2015
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
At Pro
Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I read a lot of posts about people detecting at night in parks when no one is around..Do these parks not post signs saying no visitors after dusk or certain time? I am from Willingboro NJ and every local park says not to be there after a certain hour or from dusk till dawn. What do you use to see the screen on your detector at night without it being bright enough to alert passer bys or neighbors you are in the park? Seems it would be a bit difficult to hunt and dig with no lighting..most of my free time is at night being that I work during the day and evening. Any tricks to the trade?

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
I noticed this is your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard! If you haven't already - take a look at Sub-Forums: New Jersey for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to New Jersey - might find your answer their as well. I am sure a member(s) will jump in with suggestions shortly.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
My experience, with parks that have those "parks close at sunset" type signs, is that they are for use when someone thinks they're going to camp out, do late night parties, etc.... Ie.: "upon complaint" type issue (or if you had a REEAALLYY bored cop, and you were "sticking out like a sore thumb"). For example: I live across from a park in our city, and it's not unusual for someone to walk through the park at night (gasp, after dusk) and no one cares. But on occasion, my neighbor or I have called the cops if some kids are down there drinking beer, for instance.

As for your 2nd question about light: Do not use any light (headlights, etc...). Do not use any back-light on your detector screen. Just pick a full-ish moon night, and let your eyes become adjusted to the moon/stars. Otherwise, if you try to use any sort of light, your eyes/pupils will become adjusted to *just* that beam. And you will soon become blind to everything else around you. And then yes, your light will attract lookie-lous as well.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A small red light can help when you need it. You can keep your night vision that way. Get one with a focused beam so you don't stand out like a beacon.

kayakpat

Mar 31, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can hardly see the items in the dirt in the day let alone at night, getting harder and harder to see anymore. Young people could do it though, enjoy

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your going to hunt at night use red light, it preserves your night vision and hard for other people to see the red light, especially from any distance. Not advocating illegal hunting, but I hunt beaches at night and have hunted parks that had no rules on hours, they parks that allowed camping...

You want to preserve your night vision for your own safety...

kayakpat

Mar 31, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
red lights work well, and for anybody over 50, seems we need all the help we can get, I miss the clarity of near focus and the brightness of things, nothing last forever. I don't hunt at night, that is best for astronomy type stuff

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Red light doesn't attract insects either. It doesn't attract attention from far away either.

When retrieving a target at night it can be harder to dig a nice clean plug. Take extra time digging to make sure everything is nice looking for the next morning :thumbsup: Nothing will piss a park superintendent off more than coming to work in the morning to a park full of sloppy plugs and craters :icon_scratch:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread