Legality of Treasure Hunting in and Near Goliad, TX

Vickidee21

Dec 28, 2013
Does anyone know if there is any place in or near Goliad, TX to metal detect? My husband and I are thinking of going, but we've never been there and don't know if it is legal. We've looked at it on Google Earth and do not see any private property signs or historical markers, but we certainly haven't looked everywhere. Thanks! Vickidee21

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Does anyone know if there is any place in or near Goliad, TX to metal detect? My husband and I are thinking of going, but we've never been there and don't know if it is legal. We've looked at it on Google Earth and do not see any private property signs or historical markers, but we certainly haven't looked everywhere. Thanks! Vickidee21

Well I'll be durned. As teensy as that burg of Goliad is, it's actually an incorporated city. (versus un-incorporated county) . And usually cities that small do not have a website. But this one does (our changing world of computers and such !). And this city's website has a section for their city codes, charter, etc.... So I went to that thinking that, as usual, it would be silent on the issue, as it usually is in places this small. However, I was surprised to find that there actually IS a forbiddance there:

z2Browser2 Web Application Starter Project

Do key word search "metal", and you'll see it. Very odd. All I can guess is that since this city claims to be Texas 3rd oldest city, and flush with historic sites, that ..... at some point in the past, it got dreamed up. It only pertains to city property. Hence it would have no bearing on private property. Also it has no bearing on county, state, or federal property. But that becomes another subject entirely. If you had county parks in mind, you could find the county's website, and perhaps they have similar rules/regulations for their parks (or county property in general) to see.

But I find it hard to believe there's not public ground in ANY part of Texas that can't be md'd. Since there's no shortage of md'rs in Texas, and they can't all be sticking to private grounds.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
I noticed this is your first post - so, Welcome Aboard! Take a look at Sub-Forums: Texas for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Vicki, your best option is to check with private landowners. We have put on a couple of group hunts north of there on private acreage in the past. You might also consider joining the San Antonio club, they may have access to some private land near there.

Welcome to Treasurenet!

Wayne

Metal Detecting Stuff

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread