Which parks allow metal detecting in Houston

Seeker30

Tenderfoot
Dec 28, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've tried searching the forum but could not find any recent discussions for my question. I'm trying to find parks in my area that allow metal detecting.
I'm located in Tomball which is near Houston. Tomorrow I will be going to Katy with family and i'm looking for a spot that will allow metal detecting.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Seeker, the question would not be "which parks allow md'ing?", but rather: "Is there any prohibitions for md'ing?".

Because any city's parks need not have an express "allowance" . As if you're expecting to find signs saying "metal detecting allowed here" or whatever. In the absence of any dis-allowance, then presto, it's not prohibited.

Have you checked to see if Houstan city muni codes, and/or park rules say anything about detecting ? Their minutia should be on-line @ city website, etc... Naturally, even though you might not see a rule saying "no detecting", you still use due discretion and don't tromp around *obvious* sensitive historic monuments, or waltz around bored gardeners with shovel-in-hand, etc..... Kind of like nose-picking: you do so at discreet times so as not to offend the squeemish.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread