Doing my part

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO ~ Propointer ~ Modified Lesche ~ Predator Little Eagle ~ Royal Picks ~ Marshalltown Trowels ~ Sift Tables/Screens
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It is alarming how many detectorists view archaeologist as the enemy.

Pure ignorance.

~Tejaas~

OP
OP
Icewing

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good News!

I just got an email from my State Senator requesting that we meet in person to talk about my request to lift the ban on metal detectors in state parks.

I will keep you all posted as things progress.

Icewing

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is he up for re-election? :laughing7:

OP
OP
Icewing

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes she is.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hopefully, you can get a positive result before election day! It's less likely to get one after......

OP
OP
Icewing

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today I received an email titled They are Listening from which I took the following excerpt.
-Apparently there are several folks with your concerns. Would you be willing to attend one of their meetings with me? The meeting is in late April. If you are interested, I will let them know I will be there. I do not serve currently on that Committee, however, I am more than willing to speak on your behalf. -

OZARKS

Banned
Sep 16, 2013
USA
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, AT PRO, Fisher F44,F2, F5, E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
appreciate your efforts n cant wait to dig the new beaches ! Appreciate your efforts keep on doing your part!

Let us know how that meeting goes in April. Thanks man!

Last edited:

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Best of luck with your quest!

OP
OP
Icewing

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I encourage more of you to do the same, believe it or not apathy is exactly why metal detecting became trivial in the first place. Good people are made to feel that standing up for their rights is somehow rebellious. Then the next thing you know the public perception is that the only people who metal detect are the ones you hear about on the news either getting rich, or going to jail.
If we did more to highlight the positive aspects of metal detecting and how it benefits more than just ourselves, I know for a fact that the public perception and laws would change.
1. It's heart healthy, and great exercise.
2. Show how much trash you are picking up, that the non-metal detecting community is throwing on the ground.
3. Show how much you learn from the things you find, and how you are able to use that to teach your children and grandchildren.

Ever seen a politician who was against promoting healthy activities, saving tax dollars spent on trash clean up, or educating children? If so, I'd bet they didn't win.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Icewing

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Museums

Yesterday I hit an old dump site and found a bunch of old bottles from the 20's and 30's, including a dozen old hair tonic bottles with the small shaker hole on top. Later that day I was at a local museum trying to make connections and possibly get some help with identifying some stuff. I have never been much of a museum goer, but I was a little shocked when I noticed just how little stuff some of them have and how much of it really isn't all that old. I asked the museum curator if they would like to have one of my bottles since he seemed to think they were really neat. Much to my surprise he was happy to take it in, so I made my first small donation to a museum.

That got me to thinking.... Sure I love collecting this stuff, but if we as 'treasure hunters' want to have a better relationship with the community perhaps we should do more to share what we find with the community. To some of us this stuff is just commonplace rusty old junk, but there are a lot of people who would enjoy seeing and learning about them.

The moral of my story is: If we did more to work with the academic community and supplied them with relics to use as teaching aids rather than tossing them in boxes till the price of scrap metal goes up. I know they would be much less likely to stand against us when it comes to making laws and regulations, and perhaps they might see us a supporting members of the scientific community rather than greedy looters.

-icewing

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hmmm... Cooperation? It just might work ya never know. :thumbsup:

I don't know why so many detectorists are against the idea of cooperating and sharing their finds with the public. It's an obvious and time tested path to respect within the community. With just a little effort and thought detectorists could be known as the "good guys" instead of nefarious types sneaking around at night and hiding their hobby and finds.

In southern Arizona several years ago a lot of us participated in an effort to discover Coronado's trail through the southwest (1540). Many cool relics were found and documented. Today many "archie" historical digs in the southwest are looking for detectorists to volunteer to work on their projects. How cool is that?

Good for you Icewing. Your respect for the hobby and what it could be will open doors for many still to come.

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday I hit an old dump site and found a bunch of old bottles from the 20's and 30's, including a dozen old hair tonic bottles with the small shaker hole on top. Later that day I was at a local museum trying to make connections and possibly get some help with identifying some stuff. I have never been much of a museum goer, but I was a little shocked when I noticed just how little stuff some of them have and how much of it really isn't all that old. I asked the museum curator if they would like to have one of my bottles since he seemed to think they were really neat. Much to my surprise he was happy to take it in, so I made my first small donation to a museum.

That got me to thinking.... Sure I love collecting this stuff, but if we as 'treasure hunters' want to have a better relationship with the community perhaps we should do more to share what we find with the community. To some of us this stuff is just commonplace rusty old junk, but there are a lot of people who would enjoy seeing and learning about them.

The moral of my story is: If we did more to work with the academic community and supplied them with relics to use as teaching aids rather than tossing them in boxes till the price of scrap metal goes up. I know they would be much less likely to stand against us when it comes to making laws and regulations, and perhaps they might see us a supporting members of the scientific community rather than greedy looters.

-icewing
A friend of mine tried just that......he checked with a local museum to see if they had any interest in some of the relics he'd found. He got the 3rd degree and chastised for removing the artifacts from their "natural" resting place. Needless to say, that was the last time he volunteered to be helpful and share his finds. Until we have better laws on the books about found treasures, the important discoveries are going to stay in the shadows, away from prying and condemning eyes.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
One time many years ago a dog bit me.

Thousands of dogs later I have yet to be bitten again.

Sometimes people are mean, petty or insecure. They say things they probably shouldn't have said. It feels bad when someone says mean things. Just remember this little saying when people say mean things:

Sticks and stones
may break my bones
but names will never hurt me

If we don't try to make things better we are just part of the problem.

OZARKS

Banned
Sep 16, 2013
USA
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, AT PRO, Fisher F44,F2, F5, E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Today I received an email titled They are Listening from which I took the following excerpt.
-Apparently there are several folks with your concerns. Would you be willing to attend one of their meetings with me? The meeting is in late April. If you are interested, I will let them know I will be there. I do not serve currently on that Committee, however, I am more than willing to speak on your behalf. -

Curious...how did that meeting go, what was said...and whats the updated status?

OP
OP
Icewing

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The meeting was postponed "due to the fiscal" something, I haven't heard much else since.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread