Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: Lost & Found laws, what would you do in this case:

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    5462 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Given the parameters of this situation.....If I was the only one who found the coins, I would contact the father and tell him that there may be a possibility that I have some of his coins. I would want a list and/or as much info as I could get to verify his claim of ownership. If we had a match, I would gladly hand them over, reward or not. If I had already sold them, I'd probably just keep quiet about it, unless I could undo the deal and get them back. The father could really make life miserable for you if he wanted to. If a hunting buddy was involved, I would talk to him first and come to an agreement on whether all the coins would be returned, or just mine. I would hold no grudge if he wanted to keep his. I would just return mine and tell the father that if I hear of anyone else who may have found any of the coins and is willing to return them, I'll let him know. As for lost and found laws in general......to me, I make the decision on what I turn in to the police. Coins? NO! Jewelry? NO! Phones? NO! A reasonably freshly dropped gun? YES! Anything else identifiable, I try to research who lost it. I find that part of the fun! The police have better things to do than keep track of who lost what, and try to match what was lost to what was found.
    Tom_in_CA, dsdigger and missroma like this.
    "jus cuz it's wrote down, don't make it so"

us
    Oct 2007
    Summit County, CO
    White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
    6174 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    No 'dilemma' or 'pickle' for me. I find these out of place antique coins at a school and hear the story about the lost coin collection, it's not a question. I just call the guy up, ask what he lost, and tell him to come get em. Don't have to struggle with that decision. That's how I would want to be treated. I have returned many things to the proper owners if I could find them. Besides that, those are cool but minor finds, if I don't keep em it ain't gonna make me or break me. (I would like some pics of them though, maybe I'll finally dig up somethin that rates banner.)
    Honest Samuel likes this.
    Just like Texas in 1880.

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    8603 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by RGINN View Post
    No 'dilemma' or 'pickle' for me. I find these out of place antique coins at a school and hear the story about the lost coin collection, it's not a question. I just call the guy up, ask what he lost, and tell him to come get em. Don't have to struggle with that decision. That's how I would want to be treated. I have returned many things to the proper owners if I could find them. Besides that, those are cool but minor finds, if I don't keep em it ain't gonna make me or break me. (I would like some pics of them though, maybe I'll finally dig up somethin that rates banner.)
    Rginn, that's a fair answer. Ok. So what do you do, when you talk to the guy, and he asks you:

"Thankyou. Do you know if anyone else md'ing at this school found any other coins of mine?"

Your choices are:

A) Lie and say: "No. These are the only recovered coins that I know of".

B) Tell the truth and say: "Yes. My buddy found several others"

If you choose option B, then, go figure: He's going to say: Who is your buddy? How can I contact him ?. Then your choices are:

A) Lie and say "I don't know how to contact him. He has no address or ph. #". Or

B) Tell the truth and say: "Here's his contact info".

If you choose option B, then: Assuming your buddy is one of those "don't say anything" type people (because perhaps he already sold some of the coins and spent the $$), here's your conclusion:

You now lost your best friend. He thinks you're a goodie-two-shoes trouble maker blabber mouth. The buddy has to somehow either reimburse this coin collector (legally speaking?) and/or get-the-coins back from whomever he sold them to.

Not as easy as it sounds, eh Rginn ?
    Sandman likes this.

us
    Director-Search & Recovery Team of Oakland County.

Aug 2005
    In Michigan now.
    Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
    3962 times
    Keep you mouth shut!! you never find anything good, only pop caps and pull tabs.
    (C) Sandman, 2005. All Rights Reserved.
    "TIME IS THE ONLY THING YOU NEVER GET BACK, WHY WASTE IT SWINGING A DETECTOR THAT ISN'T UP TO THE TASK."

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    8603 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    Keep you mouth shut!! you never find anything good, only pop caps and pull tabs.
    Hi sandman. I'm not saying I would happily return the coins, that I am now appraised of knowing belong to a current person. No different than ANY of us would help a little old lady across the street, track and return a class ring, etc....

So it wasn't a matter of for-going an opportunity to rack up an "atteboy" for the good-will of the hobby. I think a lot of us would return the coins, at this new revelation. But just saying that there's baggage and "gotchas" that come with that
    Sandman likes this.

us
    Sir

Sep 2015
    Connecticut
    Minelab
    2827 times
    Quote Originally Posted by patiodadio View Post
    I would give them back to the poor dad who lost them ..... karma....always pays off.
    I agree with you. The son stole the coins from his daddy, the kids parents should had given the coins back to the janitor who I feel sorry for.
    goldog likes this.

us
    Sep 2014
    Longmont, CO
    Gold Pan, Sluice, Hand Dredge, X-Terra 30, X-Terra 705, Sand Shark
    253 times
    Short answer - give them back.

Long answer - talk with my buddy. If they are the kind of person I want to hang with in the future, they will also want to give them back. Legal situation is muddy at best, but the ethics/moral/karma situation is pretty clear to me. If I was the Dad, I'd want someone to return them to me. I would certainly be doing something to reward them (what exactly would depend on my financial/life situation). And that is not AT ALL to say that it would be easy for me to give them up if I found them, but I would know it was the right thing to do.
    Metal Detecting bucket List
    Pirate/Spanish Treasure
    Gold Nugget
    Tellurides
    X Silver Ore
    Gold Jewlery
    X Silver Jewelry
    Gold Coin
    Silver Coin
    Trade Dollar
    Eisenhower Dollar
    Coin from the 1800's
    Indian Head Penny
    Buffalo Nickel
    X Wheat Penny
    X Miners Tag
    Tax Token
    Store Token
    X A Gun
    A Stash of some kind

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    8603 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Samuel and August Moose : What do you do if you or your buddy had already sold some of the coins on ebay ? Tell the poor guy that , & just give him the ones you still might have ? Reimburse him ? What if you'd already spent that $$ ?
    Sandman likes this.

us
    Sep 2014
    Longmont, CO
    253 times
    Depends - i would first try to judge his personality when i returned the coins i still had. If he is being a jerk about it, just say " these are all the coins I have, I'll let you know if I find more" and be done. If he is being reasonable, talk to the guy about it. Explain that I didn't know about his situation until after I sold some. Obviously if he offers a reward for returning the ones I still have, decline as it would help off set the coins I sold.
    Pirate/Spanish Treasure
    Gold Nugget
    Tellurides
    X Silver Ore
    Gold Jewlery
    X Silver Jewelry
    Gold Coin
    Silver Coin
    Trade Dollar
    Eisenhower Dollar
    Coin from the 1800's
    Indian Head Penny
    Buffalo Nickel
    X Wheat Penny
    X Miners Tag
    Tax Token
    Store Token
    X A Gun
    A Stash of some kind

us
    Sep 2014
    Longmont, CO
    253 times
    Also, knowing the back story of the collection would change things too. I'm hoping to get my grandfather's coin collection at some point, and would be devastated if I lost it. If there was an attachment to those coins (and he was being nice/reasonable) I'd help try to track down the coins I sold.

If they were just coins he'd bought over the years, I might offer to contact the people I sold to, but wouldn't go to great lengths to get THOSE coins back
    Pirate/Spanish Treasure
    Gold Nugget
    Tellurides
    X Silver Ore
    Gold Jewlery
    X Silver Jewelry
    Gold Coin
    Silver Coin
    Trade Dollar
    Eisenhower Dollar
    Coin from the 1800's
    Indian Head Penny
    Buffalo Nickel
    X Wheat Penny
    X Miners Tag
    Tax Token
    Store Token
    X A Gun
    A Stash of some kind

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    8603 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    ok, fair enough answers. The bottom line is, you WOULD contact the guy, and return the ones you might still have. And you MIGHT keep mum about the ones you'd sold "if he was a jerk". But it occurs to me: You don't know ahead of time, if he's a "jerk" or not, till after you've talked to him, and 'fessed up to having his coins. Thus if he wanted to , think of what's going through his mind perhaps:

1) you found HIS coins, and fully intended to keep them. Yet....

2) the ONLY reason you're there talking to him now, was the chance fluke encounter with the janitor.

He could be a little upset and confused, that all these "yahoo md'rs" are going around violating the lost & found laws, unless someone, basically, comes looking for them to come clean and be honest.

Just a thought. I know it sounds only remotely possible. But I DID have something like that happen to me: Will relate in the next post:

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    8603 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    One time I answered a lady's CL lost & found ad, for reward for keys lost on the beach. I met her at the beach, and she took me down to the areas where she thought they might be. But the area was way to vast, and I never found them.

While talking to her, I also mentioned that , since several days had gone by, and since other md'rs are known to frequent this beach, I mused that some other md'r might have found them already. When the lady heard this, she immediately asked : "what will they do with them?".

And this question caught me off-gaurd. Because my immediate instinct, was to think of what do I do with keys that I find. And I answered honestly (I probably shouldn't have), and told her "they probably will throw them away". Doh!

Because that's a true answer right ? I mean, let's be honest: How many of us save all the keys we find ? If I did that, I've have a 5 gallon barrel full of old rusting rotting keys by now!

When the lady heard that an md'r might have found and just tossed her keys, she was actually sort of mad. Like "how could they have the gall to do that ??" sort of response.

So it was then that I took a step back, and realized that ....... in the mind of the person who lost something, the next person who "finds it", is actually a low-down-rotten crook if they fail to return it, or make attempts to find the owner, etc..... But to us md'rs, we think a different mindset: We just assume that no one is looking for it, and that it's long-forgotten about (like the coins story).
    Sandman likes this.

us
    named after a 14acre piece of land

Feb 2017
    Jastro Winkle, Calif
    visual/ anthill/ topology
    6 times
    world diamond recognition of and for issue's pertaining to american diamond miner/mines
    I posted a lost and found on facebook for a mineral finding requesting the owner to give description and guess what it held mud..

us
    Sir

Sep 2015
    Connecticut
    Minelab
    2827 times
    [QUOTE=Tom_in_CA;4873231]Samuel and August Moose : What do you do if you or your buddy had already sold some of the coins on ebay ? Tell the poor guy that , & just give him the ones you still might have ? Reimburse him ? What if you'd already spent that $$ ?[/QUOTE/
    I go by my name, Honest Samuel, I tell the person the truth and pay them the worth of the coins that I had purchased and sold. Always happy to help my friend Tom. What would you do, Tom?

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    8603 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Samuel View Post
    .... What would you do, Tom?
    I would return any coins I had of his. And if any were already sold, I'd come up with the $ to reimburse him.

But what gets complicated, is if I had (as in my true story here) been hunting with someone else. Because if the coin collector looked me right in the eye asking if I knew of any other md'rs who had likewise found his coins, then I'd be faced with the following unsavory options:

1) lying and saying that these are all the coins I know of.

2) being truthful and saying that I know where a few more are .... in the hands of a buddy.

3) the problem with option #2, is that it's now possible that THIS fellow will now be upset with me. Perhaps not if he still had them, but what if he'd sold them and spent the $$ already ?

I hunt with friends who have no qualms with helping out someone in distress like this, and forking over items that were revealed to have owners still looking. But I also have friends who .... when not on a specific sanctioned "posse hunt", consider items to be "finders keepers". Perhaps they'd certainly gleefully reunite something that someone came asking about (like in the case of my story), but gets complicated if they've sold them already, and the money is gone. So then what ? Does he borrow against a credit card and go into debt to pay out ?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links