May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Just one of the reasons we really need a group representing MDs. We also need to stress that we clean the beach of junk and post pics of our junk publicly. When people on the beach ask me if I have found anything I tell them I am cleaning the beaches of beer cans and fish hooks.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Just one of the reasons we really need a group representing MDs. We also need to stress that we clean the beach of junk and post pics of our junk publicly......

Well, be careful. I know it might SEEM that boisterous solidarity, "group representation" (to fight things like this Seal Beach verbage), etc.... is a good thing. Right ? To get them to "reverse this". Right ?

But no: Often time, what results is: JUST MORE AWARENESS on the part of the people you are pestering. So that they just get all-the-more-resolved to "address this pressing issue". And then start booting people that perhaps they'd never have given a moment's notice to.

So if, as in this case, it's un-enforced and no one cares . BEST TO LEAVE IT THAT WAY. In cases like this: LESS ATTENTION is better, not MORE attention.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lesson to be learrn, on dirt or sand, cover all holes so it won't happen to your parks and beaches. Good hunting and good luck.

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Current Detectors; Minelab Safari, Equinox 600
TRX Pin Pointer, Fisher 1235x
Have owned; Minelab Eureka gold,
Tesoro Compadre, White's MX5, GMT, MXT Pro,
fisher cz7a pro, go fine 20, Garret Ma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First I know it's an old post, but I am considering of moving to seal beach, and was looking if they had any local rules on beach use, and this is the posted rule on Seal Beach from their official web page.

[h=1]BEACH RULES & MUNICIPAL CODES[/h]
  • No dogs or vehicles on beach. Seal Beach Municipal Code (SBMC) 9.05.090
  • No fires, barbecues, or any open flame on beach. SBMC 9.05.055
  • No smoking on pier or beach. SBMC 9.05.060
  • Any person fishing must have due regard for the safety of all persons on the beach or in the water. Fishing may be restricted or prohibited at the discretion of the lifeguard on duty. SBMC 9.05.010C/9.05.065A
[h=2]SURFING/SWIMMING AREA[/h]
  • No hardboard surfing of any kind in an area with a displayed "blackball" sign (yellow background with black circle).
  • No swimming/bodyboarding in the San Gabriel River at any time.
  • No tents allowed on beach. Any umbrella or device for shade must be open on at least two sides at all times. SBMC 9.05.025
  • No jumping/diving from pier. SBMC 9.05.070
Times and locations may very seasonally or as conditions dictate.

• Summer - 10:30 am-8:00 pm
  • No hardboard surfing between Anaheim Jetty and Tower 7 (2nd Street).
  • Winter - No hardboard surfing in posted "blackball" areas.
[h=2]WINDSURFING/KITEBOARDING[/h]
  • Windsurfers and Kiteboarders must launch and land within the marked Aquatic Sports Area (ASA). SBMC 9.05.095 B
  • Once launched, Kiters/Windsurfers must remain 200 yards offshore until ready to land. SBMC 9.05.095 A
  • No Windsurfing/Kiting in the San Gabriel River at any time. SBMC 9.05.045 B
  • No Windsurfing/Kiting within 100 feet of any swimmer, surfer, or bather. SBMC9.05.095 C.1
  • All Windsurfers/Kiteboarders must follow the direction of the on duty lifeguards at all times. SBMC 9.05.010
So I thought I would just detect until a cop gave a ticket.

TommyB

Jul 24, 2013
OC, Calif
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI & Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
I've been detecting there for years. Not a problem with the local police ( there's an office right there on the pier) Or the lifeguards. Don't know why this story got started. Just cover your holes please :icon_thumleft:

Last edited:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Same here. I’ve never been hassled by anyone metal detecting Seal Beach. Lots of sinkers by the pier.

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
Treasure Coast Of Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Maybe we should box up all the pull tabs, bottle tops. Knives, hooks, broken bottle necks and iron to name a few and Mail it to them. We do a lot more good than harm.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread