American Metal Detectorist Arrested in Cyprus

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Terry, thanx for the link. Probably a case of the guy could have known better, with a smidgen of research ahead of time.

handyman007

Apr 28, 2014
Cyprus
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-20, Infinium
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
so you can't even have one in your luggage for a later destination?
No. You can`t. Metal Detector in this `country` is illegal device, like weapons or narcotics. Metal detecting everywhere, including public beach is illegal. Everything is illegal in this wonderful place after 1974, but they have a `court`, prison and `law`. Thanks for your interest to my story, guys!
p.s. Actually, I have a `license` from Nicosia`s authorities, but they are all Greek...

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
No. You can`t. Metal Detector in this `country` is illegal device, like weapons or narcotics. Metal detecting everywhere, including public beach is illegal. Everything is illegal in this wonderful place after 1974, but they have a `court`, prison and `law`. Thanks for your interest to my story, guys!
p.s. Actually, I have a `license` from Nicosia`s authorities, but they are all Greek...

handyman007, well since your avetar says you're from Cyprus, and since you're chiming in on an md'ing forum, I'm going to assume you're a metal detector enthusiast. (lest why else be on this forum :) ). So with that said, ok, I'll bite: If it's illegal even to have one, where do you detect then ?

Does it have something to do with this "license" you say you have ? What's to stop someone else from likewise getting that "license" ? And/or can you have assistants help you ? So for example: If you you have said-license, can your buddy dig your holes ? Can you take turns swinging the machine(s), and .... if accosted, you just show the griper your singular license on behalf of both of you (since you are together working on the same project) ?

handyman007

Apr 28, 2014
Cyprus
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-20, Infinium
Primary Interest:
I`m resident of Republic of Cyprus, this is the`greek side`. We have three `states` and three different kinds of regulations for metal detecting in this tiny island-Greek,Turkish,and the UK. My `licence` means just a registration in Department of Antiquities in Nicosia (South) for my metal detector. This option is unavailable for non-residents. I CAN NOT detect anywhere, just in some beaches. I MUST send any `antique` coins to police or Dep. in Nicosia. Technically, I have to bring any gold items to police) All I can keep-just a Euro coins! We have a lot of fun here!

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I`m resident of Republic of Cyprus, this is the`greek side`. We have three `states` and three different kinds of regulations for metal detecting in this tiny island-Greek,Turkish,and the UK. My `licence` means just a registration in Department of Antiquities in Nicosia (South) for my metal detector. This option is unavailable for non-residents. I CAN NOT detect anywhere, just in some beaches. I MUST send any `antique` coins to police or Dep. in Nicosia. Technically, I have to bring any gold items to police) All I can keep-just a Euro coins! We a lot of fun here!

Despite the restrictions ..Enjoy your detecting. Good hunting is wished for you.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
MD's like some other EU members have to be purchased in the EU. This man brought one in from the outside.

Some parts of Cyprus can be MDed, I was just there last year 4 times with my agency, on my down time I went MDing and had no trouble, but restricted my searches to surf only in front of the resort. Hunting on land there can be tricky and very questionable depending on your nationality and the cop that you run into.

I would assume that if this person was arrested then resorts are not renting out MD's any long to tourist as they have for so many years.

Such a fun nation really; our agency is far too often there cleaning up issues their police force could deal with but do not want to because they are on the take. We have had cases where we have been staled so much that the bad guys got away. Often we are told we can not be armed.

We even had a case once where local authorities tried to arrest us, which did not work out well for them.

The fastest way for a Cyprus Cop to go to jail is to travel to mainland EU; the corrupt cops are flagged and listed in the system and are detained right away when they hit mainland EU. Had one who thought he could fly to the US on Holiday with his family. DHS loves seeing Interpol Flags, they hold you for a long time before they let us know to come and get them, and even then we might be too busy since the US has such laxed laws on interrogation. LOL

So folks if you ever have the chance to travel to Cyprus, do not go, especially if you are American. The people are great, the gov and the police will exploit you the best way they can and create what ever evidence they need against you. Even the Embassy Reps do not side with anything the locals say, and generally the State Department is often on the side of the host nation.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
.... Technically, I have to bring any gold items to police) All I can keep-just a Euro coins! We a lot of fun here!

Thanx for the information. I notice you use the word "technically" there. I suppose the same can be said of the USA too, since we have "lost & found" laws. That apply to objects of either $50, or $100, or whatever value (depending on the individual state). And as you can surmise: All of us USA hunters rush to the police with each ring exceeding that value cutoff.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like my list of places to visit and detect just got a bit shorter. :BangHead: Thanks for the info Terry and Handyman.

handyman007

Apr 28, 2014
Cyprus
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-20, Infinium
Primary Interest:
Good Luck to you in Greece, Turkey, Egipt, Cyprus! For extreme vacation take a fins, mask, and something like Vibra Tector-730. Do not use it on the land. Do not use any sand scoop)

Attachments

• P1070583.JPG
    P1070583.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 282

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry to read that there are such restrictions in your area and that the police and government are corrupted.
Still, best of luck to you!

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Good Luck to you in Greece, Turkey, Egipt, Cyprus! For extreme vacation take a fins, mask, and something like Vibra Tector-730. Do not use it on the land. Do not use any sand scoop)

Man, I have never had such luck there. I have found room keys and Euro.

You have a nice spot, clearly the best spot in the nation.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread